Meridian put ferrites on the cables connecting the ID40 card to the network (was it one on each end?) on the Anniversary 808.X. They developed this further into the ID41 where the isolation was achieved in the card (no more ferrites).
Meridian haven't missed this trick.
Personally I would have thought 8 seconds would be enough to hear a difference unless it was quite subtle. Bias is a little difficult to avoid.
I agree. I think that a difference as substantial as below should be easy to detect almost immediately.
Originally Posted by Kingsrule
The biggest change is dimension and depth. Instruments and performers have BODY, lots of it. Images are wider and much more layered. The definition in the sound field is much improved. Also, everything seems to come from a darker (or quieter) background. Dynamics are greatly improved. Unplug the GISO and everything collapses..
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
My expectation bias is that folks prepared to feed back their experiences do so in a way they think will be helpful and interesting to other members.
There is no way I could make a reliable judgement about the benefits or otherwise in a few seconds. I need time to gauge whether any changes result in what seems to me a more 'natural' involving sound.
I very much look forward to hearing people's further comments.
If the difference was significant and the music being used was appropriate to reveal any difference then maybe, to decide if that difference was an improvement then I think not, for me anyway.
And what sounds good at one listening doesn't necessarily sound good at a second. My experience is that it takes time to become clear. Or perhaps I am just slow!
8 sec is just too short to pickup noise level differences you need to hear crescendos, quiet passages, etc. I tried it before, it was just over and no time for conclusion. Also it's not like you can put it back and continue listening/buffering.
Sounds good in theory but impractical.
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
The Giso GB has been connected infront of the 861v8/ID41 with the enclosed cat6a cable for a few days now, haven't switched back yet. I also upgraded the 861v8 to FW 8.1.
Kingsrule did you get a feeling of more weight/bass impact? Also some feeling of digital grunge removed in the top-end?
Switching back after the weekend to check what is what.
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.