|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
There is a simple test that anyone can try to see if their setup will benefit from reconfiguration or additional galvanic isolation. There are two caveats though: It requires 2 people and the benefit will last for about 8 seconds. I however believe that 8 seconds will be enough for any difference to be noticed and provide the critical listener an opportunity to know whether to explore their options in more detail or simply be happy with their lot.
The experiment relies on the internal buffering on Meridian audio endpoints. The length of this buffering will depend on audio format (CD quality will provide longer potential to listen that 96/24) and very likely model. I have tried this on an MS600 and playing CD quality, approximately 8 seconds of audio was available.
The test simply relies on a second participant removing the LAN cable from the back of the audio endpoint. For the period that the LAN cable is removed, 100% galvanic isolation from the LAN is achieved.
If the LAN cable is inserted back into the audio endpoint before audio playback stops, I believe that playback will continue - I say 'believe' as I performed a similar test a few years back when testing network connectivity and error conditions and have forgotten exactly what the parameters that I used were. It should thus be possible for a blind test to be performed with the second participant running connected/disconnected at different points in time.
If differences are heard, then a second test can be performed which involves removing the LAN cable from the router/switch end of the link. This will indicate whether any observed differences is being introduced by the LAN cable or from other connected equipment.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|