logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 … 27 28
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
On the contrary, it's very well known and well understood that EMI / RFI travels ALONG Unshielded / Unscreened cables.

The EMI does not "interfere" with the Ethernet Data within a Cat X cable or with its timing.

Instead this EMI / RFI then makes its way into the Endpoint, thereby negating the work that Meridian has done to make these devices low EMI devices to start with.

This EMI / RFI can then have a deleterious effect on the Audio performance... which is why Meridian are continuously striving to reduce the EMI / RFI present in all their devices to begin with.

Therefore using freely and cheaply available STP Ethernet cabling is something that all users should strive for, especially if their environments are high RFI.

So, are we to assume that your Cat 5e cabling is UTP then from your lack of response to the questions raised?... [and no, Cat 5e is not necessarily Shielded... it comes in UTP and STP variations.]


-
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997
Hitchhiker
G997
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
Please tell me where M says STP cable is to be used?
If they do, I'm pissed that I missed that
If they don't, and I'm sure they don't, then they better be designing the gear for UTP as I'm sure 99.9% of the world is wired with UTP CAT 5E.

As to my wire, I'm not home so can't say but I'll bet I'm in that 99.9% group.


Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 147
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 147
Maybe this SpeakerLink will help... especially the what cables do I need bit.


Shaun

861v8 & ID41, HD621, DSP7200SE Upgrade Fronts, DSP7200HCSE Upgrade, DSP3200's rears, B&W ASW850 (sub), QNAP 871 for Sooloos, Cineultra V203, Dune HD, Apple tv 4k, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Sim2 C3X. LG Oled C9
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997
Hitchhiker
G997
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
Damn this GISO GB is good...

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Network cables UTP are fine, it's SpeakerLink that requires STP leads. Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997
Hitchhiker
G997
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
Originally Posted by ChrisLayerUK
Network cables UTP are fine, it's SpeakerLink that requires STP leads. Chris smile
Just as I thought. No SpeakerLink cables in my system.

So one would conclude the LAN isolator is doing something very special ...

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
This is from Parky's link.
Originally Posted by Meridian - Hooking Up SpeakerLink
You can use any Ethernet cable as long as it is CAT5/6 and features STP (Shielded Twisted Pair)
Is it not possible to wire it using shielded cable just to compare?

Meridian are up to speed on magnetic isolation, that's the development of the ID41 from ID40., isolation.

I'm not saying the GISO doesn't work.

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Which exact switch panel do you have ?
Thanks
Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
Which variant of the GISO did you select? DS or GB?


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
The differences are 2 or 4 transformers-means 2 or 4 pair of data /channels. The transformer have the same specs independent on the model.

Do you know how many channels M needs on the network?


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Originally Posted by Tintin
Is it not possible to wire it using shielded cable just to compare?
Not sure I understand the above point. STP is shielded so how do you compare with shielded?
Confused, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Just trying some STP between my switch and MS200 and it sounds great, but it always did.
I will live with it for a while and change back somtime in the future to see if I notice a degradation, as I think that's the only way I will be able to tell if anything has changed.
Game on, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 … 27 28

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 187 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,167
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.055s Queries: 40 (0.026s) Memory: 0.8909 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 15:31:04 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS