|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
Yes, the GISO GB looks promising for LAN use based on various threadfeedback. Based on Acousence themselves the starting spot for it is infront of the source (ID41/MS600/etc).
Before seeing the price I was dreaming about putting it as a firewall on multiple LAN connections and *ahem* on everything with RJ45 but it's cost prohibitive.
But I did get positive feedback from Acousence that they could work with us to get the GISO specified for non-LAN use with our AES/EBU lanes and keeping comms et-al intact. But I didn't want to start something that perhaps very few have interest in.
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766 Likes: 6
Robert.W Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Robert.W Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766 Likes: 6 |
Yes I spoke with mister Koschnicke last week, the "developer" of that isolator. I get a GISO to test and have already some ideas what to do. But that all is dependend of the existing sound of course and the final price.
It's not plug and play, only some parts can be used when a practicable and working solution is the target.
Robert
800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s  /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/ TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205 __Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables, __Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital, __Vortex/WMA ,
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997 Hitchhiker
|
|
G997 Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376 |
I have a GISO GB on the way.
I'll report when it arrives.
Plan on starting by putting it on the 818v2 to start...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
Looking forward to your comments on the GISO GB infront of ID41 LAN port in your 818v2.
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997 Hitchhiker
|
|
G997 Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376 |
This is going to be controversial...
So reading here and elsewhere about LAN isolators I deceided the only way to really know if/what they did was to try it myself. It appeared that the GISO was the one to have, it arrived a few days ago.
Now, I am a believer in cables/wire for my system and can easily hear differences in speaker wires and interconnects. I have, however, believed that RJ45 (from CAT5E) cable is all the same and what is delivered on it is impervious to any audible changes. My house is entirely wired with CAT 5E, my switch panel is a D-Link 24 which has a built in AC PS that is grounded. Until the recent advent of $1000 RJ45 cables and the discussions on their merits as well as commentary from some experts here, I never gave them a second thought... until I inserted the GISO into the ID41 input of my 818v2. The changes were immediate and substantial.
The biggest change is dimension and depth. Instruments and performers have BODY, lots of it. Images are wider and much more layered. The definition in the sound field is much improved. Also, everything seems to come from a darker (or quieter) background. Dynamics are greatly improved. Unplug the GISO and everything collapses.
So now I'm thinking there has to be a difference in RJ45 cables whether that's the cable spec (5E, 6, 7) or brand. Also what would 2 more GISO's, one on the TwinStore and one on the C10 do? I sent an email off to Ralf Koschnicke for his comment here and I'm waiting for his reply.
So there you have it. As of today, the GISO stays connected to my 818v2...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791 |
Could it be that your Cat5 is unshielded and picking up interference from other wiring and the the GISO gets you back to square one?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997 Hitchhiker
|
|
G997 Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376 |
CAT 5E is what I'm using
Doesn't that mean shielded?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791 |
Cat5 can be STP or UTP (shielded or unshielded twisted pair). I'm no engineer though, I expect one will chime in shortly...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
Look at the print on the side of the Cat5e cable and look for either "UTP" or 'STP"
-
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
Metal edge to the RJ45 plugs is also a good clue, but not definitive. To be shielded and/or screened, you need both suitably specced cable and RJ45 plugs with metal outer. Oh, and the cable to be constructed properly and inserted into suitably constructed endpoints.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997 Hitchhiker
|
|
G997 Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376 |
As I recall none of the Sooloos gear has shielded endpoints so the CAT cable shielded or not is immaterial here...
|
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,166
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|