logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 … 27 28
#218165 2014-08-03 09:27
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 164
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 164
Hi, I just moved ahead from conventional audio system to the DSP system. Among many reasons for me to move ahead this direction is (better sound is of course the prime one), I wanted to free myself from "cable dilemma" from inter-connects to speaker cables, plugs, outposts, etc. and etc. although my DSP's are legacy, thanks to the Reviver (which is on its way here) I should be able to use RJ45 between MC200 DSP5200.

I can't just let go of my bad habit of "cabling" and wonder if using LAN-isolator which was initially used in medical industry to reduce errors caused by noise (as it is business of life and death) could bring good or bad or nothing to the SpeakerLink connections.

I am talking about something like this LAN Isolator RLI-1, but not necessarily this product.

Hope this is just a BS... ^^

Thank you.


DSP: DSP6000.2 MKII, Reviver,
Audio: MS200, Super Linear Power Supply 12V1A, SotM ISO-Cat6
Core+Store: ROON on ROCK
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 909
Likes: 2
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 909
Likes: 2
I use a cat7 between 5200 left and right.
I don't know what it is, at least make me feel good. wink


HT: Audiocom LX800CE, MP-60,HOLO MAY*2 Analogue speaker(LRC), DSP5200SL (side), DSP7200SE (rear),AntimodeX4,JTR Cap4000ULF*2,Christie HD8C,GIK Bass Traps.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
I always trust Bob Stuart and Meridian design. That's what I am paying for when I buy Meridian equipment, and feel that if this was necessary he would recommend it or build it in.
Let go of cable voodoo and trust your ears is my advice. Just use good quality well made cables. Then spend your money on more Music. This is after all the whole point, enjoying familiar and discovering new music.
Enjoy, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
M have shown that they do care about such things as LAN noise. The iteration of ID40 to 41, RFI chokes on early Anniversary SL links.

It would be interesting to know if this device did make any impact on SQ.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Chang,
Thanks for the link smile
Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
What I did first was to put ferrites on every connection going into the router and from broadband modem.

There is no voodoo in an isolation transformer. I would put it as a firewall on every connection not audio where you could use ferrites as a cheaper solution. But I'm actually abit intrigued, I read up on "medical-grade" LAN isolation transformers before but never got around to trying one.

What did have a good effect in my system lowering noise and edginess was exchanging all PSU's related to Gbit-switch/router network and Sooloos MC200 to higher quality ones from Teddy Pardo. That can be heard immediately not a "maybe" like with ferrites.



DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
The problem I now have is that I have looked at some of the other products this company make. It is very hard to now take them seriously.

Really ?


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
I agree that the LAN isolator looks interesting, promising indeed, given Meridian's discoveries in this area, but at $200, it's not something that I'm likely to purchase to experiment with.

Will the Ultra Low-frequency Pulse Generator interfere with the neighbour's homing pigeons?


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 164
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 164
Hmmm... Hopefully someone can do the testing and share the experience... ^^ I would love to, but it is bit limited for legacy system to see the full effect.

General consensus is that when isolator is used, background gets darker (phrase used by many audiophiles) with less noise level, but may sacrifice some degree of dynamics (less lively, and filtered sound)

It may come down to personal taste, but I just can't let go of my bad habit...


DSP: DSP6000.2 MKII, Reviver,
Audio: MS200, Super Linear Power Supply 12V1A, SotM ISO-Cat6
Core+Store: ROON on ROCK
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by Cujo
General consensus is that when isolator is used, background gets darker (phrase used by many audiophiles) with less noise level, but may sacrifice some degree of dynamics (less lively, and filtered sound)
An analogue description from analogue thinking... (IMHO)


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi Cujo,

The device you listed is a LAN Isolator and whilst it may have some merits when connecting a Sooloos endpoint to a LAN (Local Area Network); a SpeakerLink connection (to your DSP's) is NOT a LAN connection, the only thing in common is the RJ45 connector and the cabling.

SpeakerLink contain these signals:

Differential Digital Audio (AES/EBU)
Meridian Comms (to DSP's)
Meridian Comms (from Master DSP)
Meridian RS232 (Tx and Rx)

All of the above are relatively very slow compared to LAN signal frequencies which this device is designed for.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
And the pinning is " a little different"...
You even can damage some when you use it on the M-SpeakerLink.

On LAN it's another story to try, but the price is out range.


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 … 27 28

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Parky43007, Grole, BrokenDownAngel), 238 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,168
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.058s Queries: 40 (0.025s) Memory: 0.8935 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 18:55:15 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS