logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#211869 2014-05-05 02:50
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Likes: 1
Hello,

New owner of old DSP5000's here. On a half-whim I bought a pair of DSP5000's. They are 18-bit and a bit tatty, but only cost me �499. A few hours of elbow grease later and all the scratches are gone, the fading is gone, and all polished up to a very respectable finish. Very happy with these!

Anyway, I didn't notice in the auction pictures that these had granite plinths attached to the bottom - came as a little surprise when I went to pick them up. Having looked at other photos I don't see any others with plinths. Am I to take it that these are not Meridian original plinths? Good or bad? Anyone recognise these? I took some snaps:

DSP5000 plinths

I also opened them up to check the electronics, as I am going to assume these are 20 years old. Nothing bad there I can see (apart from the odd spider's web). If you're interested, you can see pics of the guts here:

DSP5000 innards

Next job: replacing the grill cloth...


Cinema: DSP5000 (18 bit), DSP5000C, DSP33, 568.1, Quad L-Sub
Music: DSP5000 (24 bit), MS200 + Reviver, Roon
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 715
Likes: 16
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 715
Likes: 16
Welcome to the forum!

The plinths are not originally from Meridian but look to be well made and certainly can't do any harm. Stability is good and may protect the cabinet and grill from the dreaded vacuum cleaner.

Neil


1) MS200, G65, Revivers, DSP5000.2, DSP5000C.2, DSP3100, D1500, SME10/IV.

2) Mac Mini (Roon), Explorer 2, Sennheiser HD6XX.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I see from the photos you've powered them up. What do you think of the sound?

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 651
Likes: 3
Huw Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 651
Likes: 3
Hello Shiggins, I still have trio of 18 bit 5Ks, wired up in my legacy system. They are classics, of course bettered in latest Meridian technology, but I am sure you will be very happy with them.

I am located just down the A3 from you so if you need some help give me a shout.

Best regards
Huw


#1 52KSE 218 LG OLED Sony BRay, Sonos Beam 2
#2 52KSE 218 Pana LED Zenith 2 Naim Muso2
#3 Teac X1 CD, G68, 562v3 518 568 556 G98DH 5K,5KHC 24/96,MS600,Systemdek I920, Ortofon M520, Synthèse Floating 2 Thorens TD160 Ortofon M15e Pioneer DAT Panny Plasma,Humax,BRay.
#4 Panasonic 4K LED Sonos Beam 2
#5 F80 MS200 iDock Sonos Move
#6 MS200 5K 24/96
Carl #211880 2014-05-05 03:44
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Likes: 1
Loving them so far. Coming from small standmounts (Quad 12l) I am continually impressed by the depth and tightness of the bass. In fact, impressed all round and can't stop listening to music and rediscovering old albums. Something I didn't expect was how well they work at low volumes.

Originally I only came to these forums to see how much I could get for my G08 but ended up getting hooked on the idea of DSPs!


Cinema: DSP5000 (18 bit), DSP5000C, DSP33, 568.1, Quad L-Sub
Music: DSP5000 (24 bit), MS200 + Reviver, Roon
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
MI' Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
Lovely photographs may I upload them to Duncans info site, link at top of every page.

Using plinths whilst increasing stability is raising a fixed boundary height. It may make little difference, but the relationship between floor and speaker has changed.

Regards I



Under review
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by Shiggins
Something I didn't expect was how well they work at low volumes.
That's part of the 'magic' with DSP's.

Glad your enjoying them I had 18 bit 5k's for years and years and I loved them. Then I went a mad with upgrades wink

Regards,
Carl

Last edited by Carl; 2014-05-05 04:48. Reason: added 'bit' ;)

861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
MI' #211883 2014-05-05 04:02
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Likes: 1
Thanks for the offer of help, Huw. I had some fun just setting left/right, master/slave, so I'm sure I'll need assistance after the inevitable controller purchase.

Mi', sure, feel free to upload the photos to Duncan's info site. I'd feel slightly honured smile


Cinema: DSP5000 (18 bit), DSP5000C, DSP33, 568.1, Quad L-Sub
Music: DSP5000 (24 bit), MS200 + Reviver, Roon
Carl #211889 2014-05-05 04:47
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 880
Likes: 3
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 880
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by Carl
I had 18 5k's for years and years
Was this some monster 13.5 uber-surround-configuration we haven't been told about? Or two 7.2 configurations in different rooms? ;-)

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 880
Likes: 3
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 880
Likes: 3
My 5Ks are on similar-looking granite plinths too, though they were a later addition of mine, not bought at the same time.

�499 is a super bargain. Well done.

Enjoy the music.

(Another) Duncan


Regards,
(Another) Duncan
Main: DSP6k, HD621, Oppo93, PS5, HP 800 G5 Mini, Hitachi 58HK6100U
Kitchen: M80+Echo Show 8"    Office: Echo V1
Bedroom: F80+Echo DotV3     Boxed: MS200 x2, DSP5K x 4
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
My post has been updated wink


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Carl #211892 2014-05-05 05:13
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 885
Likes: 56
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 885
Likes: 56
Photos of the innards look fine. It's amazing how well these hold up! I have a pair of 18-bitters too and they still operate well considering they are almost 20 years old!


Theater: 861v4_LPS, 818v3, HD621, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro, DSP8000SE, DSP5500C, SW1600x2, DSP5500, Epson 6040UB, PS4
Living room: 861v4_LPS, HD621, DSP8000SE, DSP5200C, Oppo 203, Lumagen 2143, 818v3, Sooloos/MC600 Bluesound Node
Bedroom: M80
office: G68D, DSP6000
Garage: DSP5000
Storage: M33s, DSP33s, DSP5k, 501, 518, M1500, G98DH, SW1600
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Colin Triggs, TKimages), 184 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.050s Queries: 40 (0.021s) Memory: 0.8884 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 16:17:16 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS