I am not sure that putting the core on a QNAP would be a good idea at all.
I was under the impression that putting the Core on closed, fixed hardware was apparently of sonic benefit to the Sooloos ecosystem in term of processing, latency, noise and ultimately sound quality. NAS devices these days are very busy multifunctional devices and surely this would only be of detriment overall? Unless what we are really saying is that the value that Meridian add is in the endpoints. If this is true I would have to ask what the advantage is of a Sooloos Core over a Meridian endpoint with a more open standard non-Sooloos backend?
Some people even claim sonic advantages of WAV over FLAC which if true would seem incongruous with placing the Core on most current NAS devices. Not to mention the rate of development of NAS software that would seem at a more rapid pace than Meridian is used to. I would hate to think that an upgrade of my NAS would change enough to render my Core inoperative.
I agree that QNAP is a good step but at the moment am only convinced that it is true for storage. I would need more information to understand the impact of moving the Core there but at first impressions it would seem a wholly bad, although convenient and cheap, idea.
Cheers,
Tony.
Sources: MS600, Fidelity Audio Reference Oppo UHD-203, Roon/QNAP, AppleTV 4K Processors: Arcam AV40, 271 x2, Lumagen 5348 with Keces P8 Speakers: DSP7200SE FL/FR, DSP5200SE VC, DSP3200 x11, DSP320.2 VOG, DSW x4 Display: JVC DLA-N7 with PK-EM2, Panamorph Phoenix Pro, 128" 2.37 Curved Silver Ticket AT Screen
|