Its taken me a while to get here, but I'm now considering dipping the toe into a Meridian system. Previously I have had all manner of set ups, big speakers, small ones, components from Krell, Audio Research etc etc. For the past few months I have been enjoying the simplicity and performance from an active speaker set up, which got me thinking about Meridian DSP.

My existing set up is no CD player, all music ripped to HDD and played either via a Mac Mini into USB DAC and then preamp into studio active monitors, or via a Slimdevices transporter direct into said monitors. I also own a TT and plenty of vinyl so would want to be able to still play those even though 90% of my listening is currently digital.

My room is dedicated to listening, but on the small side (11'x10'), however I have tamed some pretty big speakers in the past and despite the small room enjoyed a big and expansive soundstage. Depth of soundstage and 3D imaging are more important to me than scale but obviously nice to have both.

So I was initially thinking of a pair of 5200s, but also considering 6000, 7000 and 7200, albeit probably needing room correction to help tame bass issues.

I was also assuming that I would initially be able to use the Slimdevices co-ax output into the DSP speakers, or use a USB/SPDIF straight out of the Mac Mini?

I would be grateful for -

1. Comments and advice on the speaker options.
2. Advice on the different input choices utilising existing kit.
3. Advice on potential benefits of buying additional Meridian kit which would a) improve SQ and b) provide room correction.
4. Advice on options which enable me to play my records via the TT.
5. Comments on the relative importance/ merits of SpeakerLink (or not).

Much appreciated.


DSP6000, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0