logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
But surely the main (only??) difference between the D8k.1 and D8k.2 is the Speaklink connection board??

And given Bob's interview above as well as the data posted online, they talk about "new Electronics and Oscillators", then wouldn't these apply just as much to the .2 versions as the .1's??

Is Speakerlink connectivity a requirement to avail of EBA??


-
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 175
Likes: 2
Ado Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 175
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Yetis
I cannot believe I missed the G55 statement.. That is great, absolutely great. I knew it didn't make sense for them to advertise this product in their new instruction manuals...

Prior discussion of G55...

I wonder if it is an exact copy or if the G55 has been updated in any way? Looks like I will need to adjust the upgrade plans. I would expect it to still have the XLR inputs and bi-wiring/amping capabilities.

I am also very happy about the return of the G55 as I am in need of one�


Z0: 861v8+ID41+Roon on a QNAP, Naim NAP300, Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario

Z1: Arcam AVR-450, Oppo BDP-103D, SkyQ, Apple TV, Kuro KRP-600A, Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento & Cremona Center M speakers, Martin Logan Descent-i Sub, 2 B&W wall speakers

Z2-6: Roon controlling MC600 Zones into Parasound amps to B&W ceiling speakers
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Ronnie, I'm not sure. My point was simply that it is easier for Meridian and dealers to go from known A to known B.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Most interesting, to see the photo and what appear to be new driver mounts, as first seen on the 8K anniversary model.
This advance is also mentioned by Bob Stewart in the promo video. So an upgrade to previous versions would mean all mid and bass drive units would have to be refitted in the cabinets. Quite a big mechanical job in itself never mind tweeter change and the electronics boards upgrade.
Interesting times ahead not least dreaming up a credible story for SWMBO.


AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
If the DSP7200 -> DSP7200.2 upgrade is anything to go by, the DSP board is swapped and tweeter. And maybe the DSP board need no change, in any case. Would love to see what the berylliums can do.

And I'm really looking forward upgrading from DSP8000.1. Now it makes sense for a full upgrade kit. Bob said that the .1-> .2 upgrade was not very bang for the buck, but now both .1 and .2 has something to look forward to.


DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 105
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 105
Likes: 1
I contacted Meridian last night and the SE won't start shipping till April so they can't really change my speaker. Besides I have suspicion that it is already on its flight to Australia. There will be more information after the CES, and an interesting quote from them:

"Being a Meridian product you will not be left behind in the update and upgrade space"


Lounge: 861v8 with ID41, 218, UHD722, Sonos Connect Wyred4Sound, AppleTV, Oppo 105, DSP8000SE, DSP5200SE
Streaming: Roon/Spotify
Currently not in use: DSP5200 x 2 pairs, DSP5200HC, DSP3200, 218 x 2, MS600, DSW x 2, MC200, Sonos Connect Wyred4Sound
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Just out of interest, does this rule out the legacy equipment completely? 7k, 6k, 5k5 and 5k speakers?

I understand the SpeakerLink technology is not offered, but, an upgraded tweeter and software?

Also the previous non-SL 5200?

Kind regards
David


G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,

NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch

Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4
Bedroom - 251
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Hang on. M hasn't announced any upgrades yet. Rick just said that he "expects" them.

We don't even know the prices of the SE speakers yet! smile


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 560
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 560
Basically this is not the right place, but as I work in this industry and I see this coming back daily, the owner's regret, for those that feel a bit left behind, some posts indicate that, please remember that this is... most likely... I would personally dare to say by 100%... not the very last version of the 8000 (or any other DSP speaker).

Even if it is, would be, there is always a risk of a 10K to appear or a 7300/5300. The difference is just the timeframe... sometimes steps in between of half a year, sometimes 2 to 3. Digital technology will always be moving forward... always. It is a mere fundamental decision anybody has to take, either live with a !!!constant!!! up-grade path, say for 7.1 DSP speakers = 8 devices, to actually follow along or seek an alternative or slimmer route.

This is not a complaint, please nobody get me wrong, just a pure fact when looking at digital DSP speakers since 1990 to today and having gone through various format and processing changes. You will never find rest and maybe that is good that way, but the mere DSP speaker purchase voids the right to complain about changes to come or missed out. The next step is just the waiting point for next step.


Cheers, Andreas
My Meridian history 565/519 (1996), 861 (2000), to G68ADV, to 561 today, tri-axial cardioid studio monitors, self build acoustic measures, ceiling sails, corner bass traps, trial Helmholtz resonator, REW, Apple (TV, Mac, IPAD), SBT, Calman
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
I think it is fair to say that there is never a good time, as someone will always have their feelings hurt. Assuming there is an upgrade, consider yourself lucky, as Meridian might be one of the few, if not the only company I know, that upgrades speakers...

Maybe Wilson does,but not for their massive changes.

My personal opinion is that this upgrade wasn't that hard to spot. Looking at what Meridian has done over the last year, it only makes sense. I admit, I feel a little for the 7200.2 crowd, it feels a little "in your face" for them.

If I owned a set of 8000's, I would have a sigh of relief. This is so much better than the typical response, which is 8200's or 9000. Worst case is that Meridian gives you a trade in deal. Best case, they upgrade.

I won't lie, I have been secretly thinking about some 7200's. The lack of love to the 8000's kept me from seriously considering, but now..??


Now, about that Meridian\Oppo player, M!

Last edited by Yetis; 2014-01-08 08:46.

Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC.
Secondary: MC600 (whole house).
Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE.
Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Originally Posted by Yetis
I cannot believe I missed the G55 statement.. That is great, absolutely great. I knew it didn't make sense for them to advertise this product in their new instruction manuals...

Prior discussion of G55...

Your link incorrectly points to a discussion on the G65 - not the G55.


Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.

#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504
#2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia
#3: Other stuff
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Whatever Meridian announce today is "old News" for the R&D dept. It has to be, they are already onto the next project, idea, upgrade.

If you consider how long it takes to bring a product of this quality to market you will appreciate this.
They can't pre announce projects or it would hit sales of current products. The problem is a serious one.

We are all familiar with this with regard to motor vehicles and we happily accept it.

Anyone want my old cortina today?

The important thing for Meridian, or any other company is how well they treat people caught out by this to keep them satisfied and not left feeling used.

This is where Premium Partners come in. They can build strong relationships with their clients and create bespoke solutions.
Any old Hi-Fi shop would not be willing nor able to deliver this.

Just my thoughts, Chris smile (Who can't afford any of it just now, aww well?)


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jon Raines, TSCA, Colin Triggs, Steven01), 344 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.071s Queries: 40 (0.031s) Memory: 0.8989 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 13:38:42 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS