logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
My own personal view (no inside knowledge) is that Meridian will ultimately bow to market pressure and start to implement the higher resolution formats more widely, even though they (and we) may not believe there will be any worthwhile improvement in sound quality over the 24/96 we have in the later DSPs today. Virtually every modern DAC is now 24/192 capable and many are now accepting even higher sampling rates. It is not a question of what sounds best (a pointless argument in my view as all formats sound amazing if the original recording is well engineered and transferred, a point another member has already made) but more to do with what the competition is offering and what the customer thinks he wants. Marketing hype, if you prefer, but all companies are guilty in this regard and the tide is only flowing in one direction.

In fact, if you look at Meridian�s last three offerings � Explorer, Director and Prime � they are all capable of reading, and playing in native format, music at 192 sample rates. All of these products have received rave reviews, which to my mind counters the challenge that Meridian is failing to innovate. I think this trend will continue regardless of what loyal HH members think or request because the company is trying to reach out to new markets (both demographic and geographic), something it needs to do if it is to reverse the significant losses and development costs it has suffered recently. It will be interesting to see what effective sampling rates will be adopted in Meridian�s latest collaboration in Pono music, and indeed whether this new format will be playable on our Sooloos systems.

I�m not sure there�s much merit in trying to push Meridian down any one particular development path � they will be acutely aware of what they need to do to generate a decent return for their investors (who, after all, ultimately call the shots) and their marketing intelligence will be as good as the rest of the marketplace. However, if there are relatively cheap changes to existing kit that can be made to allow higher resolution music to be played in its native format, it seems somewhat illogical not to make these changes. I am thinking about the 24/192 DACs in the later DSPs and the balanced analogue cards for the 861 � if it really is a simple firmware update that is required why wouldn�t this be implemented, with the option to limit to 24/96 if preferred? It would help the existing customers who want the capability and it might even help sell a few more units to new customers.


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Just to add to your list: 861v8 and 818v2 can accept 192 from their USB port too. Their analogue output cards are 192 capable and although the 861 has always processed signals with an extreme bit depth (32-bit if I remember correctly) I suspect that they down-sample these signals to Meridian-standard hi res (88/96) for reprocessing.

I wonder if Edd or OptimusPrime can confirm this?...

HD621 also accepts 192 of course, because it has to. But as is well known, down-samples to Meridian-standard hi-res (88/96) immediately.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
Originally Posted by G997
You'd be a fool to spend big $$ on old technology
I take the opposite view and rather think that YOU would be a fool to spend big on a marketing fashion. What audio signal are you hoping to hear hidden within the signals beyond 192k?

I assume you must mean these as noted above M are already 192 enabled in their latest offerings.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
AltusLiceor,

Great post!


Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Originally Posted by JaapJan
Kal, my reference is predominantly stereo indeed, multi channel music is never seriously auditioned by me.

I have heard RBCD on Meridian full SpeakerLink gear, also on various (a lot) other high end systems and if the a system is good the result is astonishing.

I have heard playback sources up to 24/192 and I am not convinced that higher bit/upsampling is better than 16/44.1 Yes some specific recordings sound realy nice but that is often unlistenable music (mmm, this sounds as taste, sorry). I do love my upsampled MDMS though!

Maybe this discussion should be about comparing PCM to DSD instead?
I cannot argue with your position although I am convinced that higher resolution, including DSD, offers an advantage in many cases. However, imho, that advantage is a small one compared to the obviously audible advantages of multichannel.


Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
In no way is this meant to be personal but if you have to think about whether the lack of 192KHz matters, you're not really a Meridian customer. The systems will either be sold to the 'faithful' or those so wealthy that it won't matter to them. Much as a GTR in capable hands can outrun a 997 Turbo, the Porsche is bought either by enthusiasts or those who want a fancy toy.


Mark
G68, baby Genelecs, Humax Foxsat, Oppo+Vanity93, Toshiba HD-A35, Pioneer CLD-925 + Meridian 519, various other random bits and bobs
Got a black G08.2 you want to sell?
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by Kal
that advantage is a small one compared to the obviously audible advantages of multichannel.
Kal,

I respect your column and have even bought recordings based on your recommendations. But, as I have been in the fortunate position to upgrade to 808.3/808.5, I simply haven't found that to be the case. For me, top quality 2 channel is the benchmark.

That being said, I have bought some great recordings based on your reviews, and I will continue to to read your column with great interest. But once a HD621 is in the loop for multichannel, something gets lost.

And to be clear, I think the HD621 is a great bit of kit in the context of video playback.

Regards
Greg


M owner since '97
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by Greg Wright
I'm less and less interested in paying the premium for HiRez
This was not meant to be a facetious comment. I have been burned in the past spending a fortune on bleeding edge hi rez formats that then just disappeared.

CD is still here; and it sounds amazing and is easy to buy. I still buy hi rez versions of the same albums, but genuinely find the differences subtle.

Is DSD the future? Maybe. But where do I buy it and is it just another remix of Rumors or Dark Side of the Moon.

Regards
Greg


M owner since '97
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Greg, there are two cable optimizations RJ45/HDMI that really benefit the HD621, you can see them in my sig.

In my system I constantly try pushing both my Sooloos playback aswell as multichannel playback. I've for example all linear PSU's on MC200(SSD) and Gbit router. Mounted Furutech AC-1501 IEC inlet filtered on my Dune HD Base3D (MCH FLAC).

All these things add up and MCH and 2CH can certainly be identical in quality provided the same care and quality is used throughout the system.


DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Crion,

Thanks for that. My experience has been limited to SACD/DVD-A from an Oppo93 into HD621 then G61R to speakers. I have also played some multichannel FLACs using VLC on a Mac Mini into HD621 then G61R to speakers.

I would expect a big jump in performance between a G61R and an 861v8 but that's not really something I'm planning on doing.

I guess I like the simplicity of 2 channel for music. But it's good to know that Multichannel channel can challenge two channel on a quality level.

Also, for the HDMI cable you use, is that just for the link to the HD621, or do you use it back to the TV? Unfortunately my HDMI cable are currently 5M due to the placement of the HD621, so I fear high cable prices would make the cost crippling!

Cheers
Greg


M owner since '97
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
You will have better results playing MCH FLAC from your Oppo instead of your Mac mini. It's less of a computer wink

Yes I've gone from G68 (nonSL) to G61R(SL) to 861v6 to 861v8. The jump upto 861v6 and then 861v8 was significant even with DSP speakers.

The HDMI cable is just between source (dune) and HD621. If you have 5m cable I would probably opt for a Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 series. Good quality but doesn't break the bank.



DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Some interesting comments from Lumagen on HDMI cables on page two of this tech note.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (swpnt), 190 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.055s Queries: 40 (0.027s) Memory: 0.8904 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-04 22:17:39 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS