logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
mmm, so �750 for the card, �1200 for the box, �800 for the power. Then switch all my speakers off. Not sure if it all adds up really...


OptimusPrime
Unregistered
OptimusPrime
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Tintin
mmm, so �750 for the card, �1200 for the box, �800 for the power. Then switch all my speakers off. Not sure if it all adds up really...
Or alternatively you connect your existing PC, CD Player, Turntable etc. to Prime and only Prime, no additional equipment needed... You did ask how a 861v8 would integrate.

Last edited by OptimusPrime; 2013-11-22 05:35.
OptimusPrime
Unregistered
OptimusPrime
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Arnold@at
Unfortunately not the right device for a Control:15 user - or can anybody can give me advice about how to listen to music from a Control:15 via headphones
Hi Arnold,

Could you not utilise your G08.2 analogue outputs?

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
How fantastic to have Meridian on board in the guise of OptimusPrime.
A real transformer.
ASP could be interesting but for now my Explorer will have to do.
Hector


AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Please trust me when I say that the Prime is capable of achieving outstanding results without the Prime Power Supply. The fact that yet additional [untested by me] performance is possible (with highest quality analogue sources) I find frankly astounding.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
I use analog L/R out for my headphone amps from my 568.2, you can't use mute so it's a schlep to have to turn the volume down to use my headphones.

Sorry to rain on Meridians parade , but I really can't generate enthusiasm for this product at its price point.

A pre without remote volume these days is useless, a USB only DAC is limiting, spatial processing is old hat and never took off and a 1200/2000 quid analog only headphone amp has a 1000 other competitors.


Roon/Tidal, SBT, Trinnov ST2 , Twin Devialet D premiers, Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits, dedicated and treated room.
Meridian gear: 568.2mm and DSP5000's acting as TV speakers.
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
Please trust me when I say that the Prime is capable of achieving outstanding results without the Prime Power Supply. The fact that yet additional [untested by me] performance is possible (with highest quality analogue sources) I find frankly astounding.
Outstanding results in comparison to other headphone amps or just sounds outstanding?
My Xcans sounded outstanding but for �120. I've no doubt it sounds great.

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime
Originally Posted by Tintin
mmm, so �750 for the card, �1200 for the box, �800 for the power. Then switch all my speakers off. Not sure if it all adds up really...
Or alternatively you connect your existing PC, CD Player, Turntable etc. to Prime and only Prime, no additional equipment needed... You did ask how a 861v8 would be integrate.
Shame not to use the flagship though, having invested in the best signal going. Having invested in Sooloos, no CD player. I suppose I could go into the study, sit at the desk and plug it into the Mac but then I don't have access to my Sooloos collection. Tempting.

(nice avatar?)

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
I can't imagine buying the Prime and not using it as both a DAC/headphone amp for computer based audio and as a preamp with a pair of active loudspeakers.

Of course, Meridian no longer makes analog active loudspeakers. How rare are second hand M3100s?


G68, G91, G98, DSP3100C, DSP3100 (x6), M80 (x3)
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Rodney Gold
Sorry to rain on Meridians parade , but I really can't generate enthusiasm for this product at its price point. A pre without remote volume these days is useless , a USB only dac is limiting , spatial processing is old hat and never took off and a 1200/2000 quid analog only headphone amp has a 1000 other competitors.

The only place the Prime makes sense given its feature set is on a desktop next to a computer. You don't need a remote because the volume control is always within reach, and every computer these days has a USB output.

Given the competitive pricing for the Explorer and Director, I would have guessed that a device like this would be priced somewhere in the $1000-1200 range. At that price, I'd be willing to overlook the lack of a remote control and SPDIF input.

Last edited by Dolstein; 2013-11-22 05:44.

G68, G91, G98, DSP3100C, DSP3100 (x6), M80 (x3)
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Originally Posted by Tintin
I suppose I could go into the study, sit at the desk and plug it into the Mac but then I don't have access to my Sooloos collection.
Why is that? You can use Control:Mac.

You can also point whatever the equivalent of Foobar is at your Sooloos store as play bit perfect tracks.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
It is interesting. Though headphones are not my thing. I hope they make some other variants of it as well. A Meridian Prime line of components.

I really want to know why there are five power connections on the power supply. Why would you need five of them? Will there be cables to power non Meridian gear? I doubt you will ever be able to power DSP's.

I find the product very encouraging, as some of the recent updates seemed more adaptions/updates derived from within the existing parts bin. So this is an encouraging update from M.

Last edited by Yetis; 2013-11-22 05:50.

Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC.
Secondary: MC600 (whole house).
Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE.
Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (JCD), 284 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.056s Queries: 40 (0.032s) Memory: 0.8877 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 10:37:58 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS