logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Are there any HHers who haven't written a review of the new Prime Headphone Amp...?


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
Not reviewed it, but I fixed the alignment problems:-
[Linked Image from i1224.photobucket.com]

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Can you fix the SpeakerLink input too? wink

And maybe get rid of the blue LED.

On more serious note, is there anyway to dim the LED's - I assume that they will be pretty bright by default.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
Hi Ian

You could always locate it remotely and use a very long headphone cable whistle

Russ

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Another review here: Head-fi.org Review


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
It had to have occurred to Meridian that by only including a USB digital input, they've greatly limited this device's functionality. The Director, at only half the cost, managed to include both USB and SPDIF. For a unit that costs $2000, they should have been able to include both an SPDIF input and a pass-through SPDIF output.


G68, G91, G98, DSP3100C, DSP3100 (x6), M80 (x3)
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
I'm very impressed by this.

It's interesting to see the inclusion of ASP, which Bob first employed in the 601 preamp from the early '90s. I enjoyed the 'out of the head' imaging offered by that unit with HD650s, and I have no doubt that the implementation here is far more accomplished.

I'm surprised that there's no SPDIF input, but if market research suggest that USB is the dominant carrier method these days, I'll accept that. It looks like a very flexible unit indeed, and the availability of the upgraded power supply (with outputs enough to drive several devices) takes us nicely back into Lego for Dads again!

To echo Frank's comment, a matching phono stage would do the trick nicely. The bottom shelf of my rack contains Musical Fidelity's trio of X-Canv3, X-PSUv3 and XLPv3. Meridian have just ticked two out the three boxes for me...

Splendid work Meridian!

Cheers

George

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Originally Posted by Gianni
Another review here: Head-fi.org Review
That's a glowing review too.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Meridian
I'm surprised that there's no SPDIF input, but if market research suggest that USB is the dominant carrier method these days, I'll accept that.
Perhaps Meridian's market researchers should have looked at Meridian's own components, none of which, to my knowledge, has a USB output. Yes, they have analog outputs, but I think my G91A converts all inputs to digital. I hope I'm wrong about this, because otherwise listening to an SACD through the Prime would involve two A/D conversion stages.

I'd be curious to know how many other DAC/headphone amps in this price range lack an SPDIF input.

Just to prove I'm able to see the glass as half full, it's good to see the Prime will power balanced headphones, although it wasn't clear to me that the Prime was itself internally balanced.


G68, G91, G98, DSP3100C, DSP3100 (x6), M80 (x3)
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by Dolstein
it wasn't clear to me that the Prime was itself internally balanced.
It's not (I mentioned this in my review: search the text for XLR).


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
OptimusPrime
Unregistered
OptimusPrime
Unregistered
Hi,

I see there's some interest for having a SPDIF input, the major problem with this is that it would introduce constant digital noise to the analogue circuitry harming its performance. The best results are achieved with multiple boxes to isolate noise, this is reflected by the double skin design of Prime.

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
For $2000, I expect Meridian to figure out a way to address the issue of noise introduced by an SPDIF input.

This is starting to bring back memories of the controversy regarding the lack of HDMI inputs on Meridian processors.

Does this mean that Meridian has an SPDIF to USB converter box in the works?


G68, G91, G98, DSP3100C, DSP3100 (x6), M80 (x3)
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (CMB Integrations - Bruce, Colin Triggs, bxd, ChrisSwain, Rick7), 427 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,189
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.079s Queries: 39 (0.026s) Memory: 0.8898 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 16:26:14 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS