As far as I can tell, the DAC in the Prime is better than the DAC in my G91A. Given how much Meridian has promoted its apodizing filter technology, I would think the difference between the DACs would be obvious when listening through headphones.
So for $2000, I'd sure like to be able to make use of the DAC in the Prime for my large collection of CDs, DVDs, DVD-As, DADs, etc., without having to rip them first to my computer.
The Prime PSU has a USB pass through which applies improved power to the USB bus for use by the Director.
I think the data sheets are in the public domain now. So this should be clear, if you read the data sheet. If you don't, then it won't be.
I just checked Duncan's Meridian Info, they have the Data Sheet with photos and pricing.
For my computer system, $1250 US is just a little steep.
I'm looking into getting a iFi Gemini USB cable and their external iUSB power supply, it's about $400 US for the pair which I think is reasonable.
I'm having a tough time swallowing a $1250 power supply for a $700 DAC. I would have much rather liked it if Meridian repackaged a better power supply with the original Director DAC and charged more like $1200. That would have been a little more reasonable.
565, 562V, 518, DSP5500, DSP5000C, Misc analog for rear channels, Talon 12 in sub
You may want to read Meridians post earlier in this thread and the information on Duncan's site. It explains fully their thinking with this product. Chris
No 18 in the Hall of fame I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
Product aside - plenty of discussion on that - it is just hugely refreshing that Meridian, after many decades, is communicating with its supporters, not only announcing things, but entering into dialogue with us all. Great that this has finally happened! Bodes well for the future.
Trinnov Altitude 32-8, Roon Nucleus, Oppo 103D, Kawero Classic, Thiel SS2 Subwoofer, Analog Domain M75D Mk2 amplifier, Aqua La Scala 2 DAC, Running Springs Dmitri (x2), Vertex (various), Kubala Sosna Expression /Synergistic interconnects/power cables
The Prime is a great new product that allows customers to create their own mini Meridian system, adding a DAC can increase the audio performance just the same as adding Prime PSU or replacing your Brand X CD player with a MS200, Prime works brilliantly on its own and has to be heard to be believed!
The functionally comes down to how you will use it and for what purpose, Headphone, Active Speakers, CD, Vinyl, PC.
It would be great to understand how you would use it with your system(s)?
It would be great to understand how you would use it with your system(s)?
I've got an 861v8, you tell me.
Sure, So assuming you want to use headphones for private listening you're set for a rather awesome system, to utilise your 861v8 you would take analogue RCA out and into Prime, I can see you have D600's so you would turn down the volume on these, meanwhile, the analogue outputs will output at a fixed volume allowing Prime to attenuate this signal for headphone use.
Unfortunately not the right device for a Control:15 user - or can anybody can give me advice about how to listen to music from a Control:15 via headphones?