A little O/T, but personally the last thing I want is 4K in a home setting where I'm sitting relatively close to a small-ish screen. Even at true 1080p, while sports and documentaries are great, I'm occasionally seeing the limits of production quality even on the best movies. There was a lot of talk about this when The Hobbit came out and turned off critics who saw the early previews -

The Hobbit

Now much of that is about 48fps, but the resolution plays a part, I think. This is close to my heart as I work in the industry, but IMO we're now reaching, cinematically, the same point we reached in stills digital photography a few years ago - we don't need more resolution, we need better bit depth, colour rendition, tonal gradations, etc.

Where we do want true 4K and possibly beyond might be cinema projection, although I'd still say the same as above re: the quality of picture as opposed to resolution (I still find most digital projections somewhat 'flat' looking compared to what I was used to on film). In fact, film, and it's associated grain, gradual clipping, etc., had a forgiving quality which was extremely useful in suspending disbelief...

Not to mention I don't want to start buying my DVD *and* Bluray collection again in order to match an even higher resolution screen. When does it end?

On topic - while I have no desire for it personally, the market reality is that in a few years time you probably won't be able to buy a decent screen which isn't 4K, so this is a valid issue re the future-proofing of the HD621, I think.

[Edit: came across this thread in a search for something, and didn't notice it was so old - sorry!]

Last edited by 3dit0r; 2013-10-14 19:40.

HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502