logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
And I wonder if the cable shoot out will be a Double Blind Trial?
Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
It's really weird but I am currently using a network dongle connected via USB and the moment I download aud10 it corrupts the data and/or stops working or realtime DSP I was doing from a Roland Quad I was sampling would never produce the same results twice wink


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 412
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 412
The Director and various 3rd party s/w for OS X users.

I received my Director a couple of weeks ago. I have tried the following s/w with OS X.

BitPerfect
PureMusic
Fidelia
Amarra
Audirvana Plus

While each offers their own unique interface, features, yada yada yada. My favorite so far is the Bit Perfect. It seems to work well with the Meridian. Some of the others have either crashed, skipped, or just didn't work as well as I had hoped. Some sounded nice, but s/w crashing is unacceptable, so is skipping and hanging. Plus, I like to be able to control the volume from the software which some companies won't do.

I am still playing around with the Audirvana s/w and so far, it does do a good job sonically, but it puts everything at 192 and there's no changing it, and so far the volume doesn't work so I can only change the volume at the pre amp stage on my powered speakers. But sonically, so far, it's pretty nice and I'm playing 16/44 files, mostly Apple lossless, AIFF, and some 128 and 256 AAC files. I reinstalled the s/w and for SOME reason, I couldn't tell you if I wanted, I got the volume to work somehow, but it still forces the Audio MIDI to 24/192, but it does sound pretty darn nice. I'm still listening to various tracks, but what used to suck, doesn't anymore. I'm going to compare using Audirvana with and without the Director, just to see how much difference there is. I just figured out how to not force the DAC to 24/192. Obviously, the s/w has to be stopped and then you have to reselect the Meridian DAC an then you can go into Audio Filters to not force the DAC into 24/192. Then you can choose between using Audio Core filers or isotope 64-bit SRC and then you can play around with that if you wish. And that's how I was also able to turn on the Volume control, which it's best to set it to dithered. So far, this has not skipped, or crashed and once I learned how to change the forced up sampling and volume, it works pretty darn well. I'll update if I find anything else good/bad.. Obviously, you can get free trials of these apps, but Audirvana gets thumbs up so-far.

Obviously BitPerfect just runs in the background and you use iTunes Volume control. For some tracks, I actually prefer just iTunes by itself. I'm still doing tests, but this is just after about a week of playing around.

I'm sure some of these companies may have to deal with the way Meridian does up-sampling since it's probably not good for the software itself to do that in addition to the Director.

Obviously, this is a new product and typically s/w developers have to have some time to play with various new hardware devices to ensure proper playback.

If anyone has any other experience with s/w let me know.

Update: I managed to find JRiver's software which you have to go to their forum to download it for the Mac. It's a little different than the other players. In some ways I like it, but I'm getting used to it. But it seems to work after figuring out how to get it to play through the Meridian. I'm just going through the worst files that I have to compare them to the others. Audirvana, so far, does the best job with the worst sounding files until I can get better versions. But so far, the JRiver actually does a nice job.

Originally Posted by ChrisLayerUK
And I wonder if the cable shoot out will be a Double Blind Trial?
Who knows? I did have a discussion with people at both MIT and Transparent and they indicated that high end DAC mfg seemed to be giving them the thumbs up since USB cables don't always work well.

Apparently, they look at velocity of propagation, time delay, etc. All I can say is, talk to both MIT and Transparent, or anyone else and ask them what types of measurements they perform. The two I talked to do measurement tests in addition to listening tests and they both deal with the high end DAC companies getting their opinions and they seem to like the product. At least they aren't as expensive as Light Harmonic cables which start at about $1000 that are designed to work with their DaVinci 24/384 DAC.

I just got my MIT StyleLink Plus to audition, so I have to do it's little burn in for a couple of days before I do any listening tests. I'm still getting used to comparing which software to use with the Director.

One thing that I have gotten conflicting information on with regards to using the Director with OS X is the Audio MIDI settings. I've heard to have it set to 192kHz, but another said to set it to whatever the file sample rate is. When I set a 16/44 file to 192k, the DAC switches to that, obviously, but I'm wondering if that's the optimal setting. I thought that if one is playing a 16/44 file, that the DAC should be set at 44 and then the DAC does the internal up-sampling automatically.

One thing that I noticed that's a little strange is that when i go into the Audio MIDI settings, it at 24 bit, not 16 bit.

Last edited by Ludwig; 2013-09-08 13:36. Reason: Multiple postings consolidated. PLEASE STOP MAKING MULTIPLE POSTINGS

565, 562V, 518, DSP5500, DSP5000C, Misc analog for rear channels, Talon 12 in sub
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Per Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Hi, would the Director work with my 508.24? If so, do I only need a pair of interconnect cables to plug it in? And how does the device get its power?

Sorry, if the questions are very obvious, but I blame it on being Swedish and having trouble getting in to English texts that are very technical...

Thanks in advance!

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
Hi Per,

If your 508.24 has an optical SPDIF output (only rear photos of the 20 bit machine are on Duncan's Meridian Info site) then all you'd need is a Toslink to 3.5mm mini jack optical cable to use the Director.

Here's one made by Chord.

Cheers

George

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Per Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Thanks George! And yes, I think my CD-player have an optical SPDIF output.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 20
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 20
Can someone tell me what improvements the DAC has given to their system?

What will it do for my G98 and Rhapsody / Napster fed through Apple TV?

Cheers?


G08, G68, G55, Quad 2905 & Missing Link connects.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
The Director also accepts a coaxial SPDIF input using the included adapter.

You can read my review here where I compare the Director to the internal DAC in the G08.


561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Can the Director be used between SqueezeBox and DSP Speakers?



Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
Why would you want to put a DAC before DSP speakers ? confused

DSP's need a digital input.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Per Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Hi, finally I hooked up my trusted 508.24 with the Director. I have had the same CD-player for almost 15 years, so I now exactly how it sounds. Anyway, I was not sure what to expect but thought that there should be a chance that new technology would make a little difference.

I was wrong. It made a huge difference. Deeper soundstage, warmer sound (that I like) and most of all I suddenly hear details I never heard before. It�s really great that Meridian produce such an affordable product.

I also should mention that the optical cable I am using is Van den Hul Optocoupler Mk2.

Now, a question. I found this device on eBay. Any thoughts about it?

Power supply

Last edited by VirusKiller; 2015-01-05 15:07. Reason: Link
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by Per
Now, a question. I found this device on eBay. Any thoughts about it?
I think that an external linear power supply is a good idea for the Director (though I have not done any listening tests). There are a few options (as you need the USB pass-through) and that device is one of them. I have no idea how good it is.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Rick7), 1,088 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.103s Queries: 40 (0.080s) Memory: 0.8923 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 23:20:40 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS