logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
In previous communication with M tech, long time ago so detail may be forgotten...

The relay, or thyristor in some series, is used to ground output particularly when a new DSP program is being loaded (and iirc when there is no digital lock). I believe that the relay was more suitable for the application than the solid state thyristor - I think reliability was mentioned but cannot remember what context.

Maybe someone with in depth electronics knowledge will explain why relays are better than solid state. I did once read something about relays producing less electrical noise and having better electrical stability.

My old G68 was a right old clatter box at times, my previous 568 was totally silent - assumed that 568 used thyristors. I ran mixed DSP/analogue.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Ian #196648 2013-09-13 16:15
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
My G68XXV (all analogue) only clicks the first time you bring it out of standby after a hard power off. Once the relays have done whatever they do you never hear them again even on preset or source change.


Malcolm
BrianEllis #196649 2013-09-13 16:19
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
I'm well used to it by now. Most of the clicks come when a new lock is required on an audio signal I think. This is common when a broadcast transmission that might have been in DD moves to advertisements. If the soundtrack on those is a mixture of DD and PCM then there will be more clicks. I also see it frequently on DVD/BR discs in the various trailers/announcements before the feature starts.

I don't perceive it as a problem, but clearly some people find it annoying. There are plenty of processors that do it though.


.
JobSeeker #196650 2013-09-13 16:26
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901
Likes: 19
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901
Likes: 19
I remember when I temporarily defected to Lexicon for a few years, initially I was freaked out by the complete absence of relay clicks!


Chris
Srces: Squeezebox Touch | OSMC Vero 4K+
Procs: HD621 > G61R > Minidsp DDRC-88D
Spkrs: 7200.2 + 5KC + 5Ks | iNuke6K > USC15 | iNuke3K > 2 x Crowson T108SS
Video: JVC HD950 & 1.9m React3 2.4:1 screen
Room: 5.8x2.8m | Various GIK Panels
Ian #196652 2013-09-13 17:24
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
Originally Posted by Ian
In previous communication with M tech, long time ago so detail may be forgotten...

The relay, or thyristor in some series, is used to ground output particularly when a new DSP program is being loaded (and iirc when there is no digital lock). I believe that the relay was more suitable for the application than the solid state thyristor - I think reliability was mentioned but cannot remember what context.
It'll be for audio quality reasons, the lifetime of a thyristor is practically infinite, that of a relay is probably a few thousand cycles.

EDIT: That should be taken as a warning against fetishising 'modern design'.

Last edited by Mudge; 2013-09-13 17:26.

Mark
G68, baby Genelecs, Humax Foxsat, Oppo+Vanity93, Toshiba HD-A35, Pioneer CLD-925 + Meridian 519, various other random bits and bobs
Got a black G08.2 you want to sell?
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997
Hitchhiker
G997
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
Originally Posted by Mr Meridian
Originally Posted by G997
My 818 clicks when the resolution changes
Antiquated design and VERY annoying.
You do seem to have a love/hate relationship with your M kit, don't you?!
Yes I sure do!
There is no reason why there should be mechanical relays in a piece of gear. Do you want to hear clicking between CD's? I don't.
IMO a product should be mechanically dead silent. When I first received my 818 and heard the relay I was absolutely dumbfounded that M designed the piece like this. Then again, it wasn't surprising at all! I dread the day when the relay seizes up which you know it will do.

Sonically, it's a joy and huge upgrade from the lesser Sooloos products.

Kingsrule #196659 2013-09-13 20:43
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
Hmm, yes but bear in mind the use of the relays you're slamming may be partly responsible for the sound quality you love...


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
3dit0r #196679 2013-09-14 03:36
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997
Hitchhiker
G997
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
That I HIGHLY doubt.
In thinking about it the 800 series chassis is an old design.

Kingsrule #196680 2013-09-14 03:44
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
The chassis may be an old design, however the contents are continuously upgraded, both hardware and software, this is the fatal attraction of the modular design. I am not aware of a competitor that offers this proposition with or without "clicking".
Satisfied Hector


AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
MalcolmW #196688 2013-09-14 07:47
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 388
Likes: 7
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 388
Likes: 7
My G68 did not click. As others have stated it's worse when adverts come on or when you flick through the channels. I see there are different types of relays, are the ones used in the 861 the long life ones or in an analogue set up are they likely to die?


861, G98, 568.2, DSP5K, SVS PC 13 Ultra, Pioneer KRP600, LG 77CX, BDI 3379.
Kingsrule #196740 2013-09-15 02:48
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
I don't have any clicking between CDs - at least not on G61/G68. Is it an 8xx series feature?


.
Kingsrule #196844 2013-09-16 17:08
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
I could probably put you into a coma by expounding on leakage currents through P-N junctions, due to thermal and quantum effects.


Mark
G68, baby Genelecs, Humax Foxsat, Oppo+Vanity93, Toshiba HD-A35, Pioneer CLD-925 + Meridian 519, various other random bits and bobs
Got a black G08.2 you want to sell?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.051s Queries: 39 (0.023s) Memory: 0.8847 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 06:39:18 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS