|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
CP compared it to 818 version 1.
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
Indeed, the 818v1 also has a preamp section, just like the v2. But I never used it. As a generic DAC and Sooloos endzone it is also well worth its price.
Have you seen my review? I think the 818 makes for the best digital playback short of the Rowland Aeris. Yes, read your review. Thanks CP!
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997 Hitchhiker
|
|
G997 Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376 |
Indeed, the 818v1 also has a preamp section, just like the v2. But I never used it. So how did you exactly use the 818? SPDIF out into a DAC or something else?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
He basically used it as an Audio Endpoint and DAC as part of a Meridian Digital Streaming system (i.e in the same way you would use an MS600). He ran balanced analogue outputs to his Jeff Roland pre-amp, feeding music to his high end, non-Meridian system.
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997 Hitchhiker
|
|
G997 Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376 |
Kerry
I read the review To me it isn't clear what he's doing but what you are saying would be the other alternative other than using the 818 as a preamp.
I find it interesting that no reviewer to my knowledge has reviewed the 818 as a preamp in a Sooloos system. Why didn't CP try it that way? Eliminating a piece in the chain seems to be the way to go unless the 818 as a preamp isn't up to the best.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87 |
FWIW - I had an 818v2 on home demo in a 2.0 preamp/Sooloos setup (courtesy of Rob S). Was a very easy setup to get Sky+ and Dune running through and the ID41 driving the Sooloos library.
The latter clearly sounded fantastic but I would say that the 2.0 sound from satellite was also very good. I didn't get chance to put any PC or analogue through.
If I was building a [2 channel] system today I would have no hesitation to build around an 818 preamp.
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
If I was building a [2 channel] system today I would have no hesitation to build around an 818 preamp. In a minimal source system, do you think the 818 is significantly better than no preamp, i.e. direct source into DSP's from another dedicated Sooloos source such as MSxxx?
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 375
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 375 |
I'm not sure if I could totally give up on Trifield, but I would love to see M produce a 'Super' MS200, comprising of the ID41 driving a SpeakerlInk output utilising the jitter reduction knowledge used in the latest upgrades. 
Geoff
861v4-LPS, ID40, MC200, Roon, Tidal DSP7000, DSP5200HC, DSP5000.3, Oracle Delphi IV, SME V, Dynavector DV17mk3. Mac Mini(2010), Synology NAS/Plex Server Schitt Lyr, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD800, Beyer Terminator v4. Oppo BDP-93/Vanity93Lite, Sony PW-10, Grandview 100" screen
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
?.., but I would love to see M produce a 'Super' MS200, comprising of the ID41 driving a SpeakerlInk output utilising the jitter reduction knowledge used in the latest upgrades.  Surely much of the magic of the ID40/41 is down to its host, ie 861/808/818?
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
Ok guys, we are going round in circles this 'ID40/ID41' based box was debated at length in this very thread, that's how we got on to the 818 in the first place. Please just read the older posts thread.
Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87 |
In a minimal source system, do you think the 818 is significantly better than no preamp, i.e. direct source into DSP's from another dedicated Sooloos source such as MSxxx? Good question. If minimal means no other sources than Sooloos then one could argue for MS600. However, upgraditis would hinder my listening pleasure and I'd have to put an 818 in regardless.
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
371
guests, and
4
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|