logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
As long as you prefer it, do it. It's your system and your ears.

Meridian take the system approach of a chain of "known" components to provide an accurate sound compared to the original producers intent.
Once you introduce other components with unknown and unpredictable results you enter the area of "Hot Rod Hi Fi".
Now these results may be very pleasing to you with the music you play and you should enjoy it. (The whole purpose of this hobby)

Understand though that this is not the "Meridian Sound".
Bob Stuarts philosophy on all this is well worth a read, even if you disagree.

Morning thoughts, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 48
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by ChrisLayerUK
As long as you prefer it, do it. It's your system and your ears.
Understand though that this is not the "Meridian Sound".
Hi Chris,

Absolutely right! I think what I have discovered is that the Meridian sound is not quite my perfect cup of tea. It's very good, and I understand why some would prefer it but it doesn't quite work for me. Probably also music dependant. And I also see the reason for the whole system approach. Makes good sense. Just doesn't sound like my ref110! So I'm stealing the M bits I like. I'm not selling the kit I have but I may work in a new DAC of a different flavour in the future.

Cheers


Meridian MD600, MS200 and MS600, Denon 4308, Audio Research Ref 110, Krell FPB-400cx, Focal Electra 1007Be and 1000Be, Whise 319a
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 338
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 338
The thing I love about the Meridian kit I own is that you can play any and all styles of music on it and it all sounds as I feel it does / should do

There is no - "more suited to this or that"

Last edited by EllisDJ; 2013-03-26 23:32.

861v4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST
KEF Reference 3 and 2c, 2 X SVS SB13 ULTRA
Audio PC: JPLay, LPSU, JCAT, PPA Studio
Cables XLO Limited, Unlimited Edition and Signature
Sony VW500 Isotek Titan, DIY Mains and Clean Signal Earth Solution
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
+1

Cheers

George

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by Dr Nick
Originally Posted by G997
Bad advice.
I think you'll find the digital out on the MS600 is far superior to the 200 series.
Hi G997,

I have an MS600, an MS200 and recently an MC200. I have had the MDAC on them all. And I'm sorry the MDAC won every time to my ears. My wife and daughter both thought the same so it's not just me. The difference between the 200's and the 600 using the digital out I thought was minimal. Certainly get better bang for you buck putting the substantial $ saved not getting the 600 towards better amps, speakers or whatever. I really wanted the MS600 to be better - I spent a lot of cash on it, but the other is better IMO. So yes I was disappointed. I should say it's not bad... it's just that I now think you can do better if you want to use an external DAC.
This is good news for those who wish to use their external DAC with the MDMS system Dr Nick, thanks for the post. It's always been a bit disappointing that Meridian makes you pay for functionality you don't need in order to get the best digital out performance (it kind of reminds me of those "packages" you need to buy on a new car just to get the one feature you really need!). Good to know if you just need digital out, the MS200's performance is pretty much on par with the MS600. If that wasn't the case, it'd be a shame to have to pay all the extra money for the DAC in the MS600 when you already have a good DAC. Also, you'd be crazy to spend close to $20k for the 818 just to get the best digital out performance - that's like buying a whole digital front end and pre-amp when you just need a CD transport.

I love to see Meridian coming out with things like the MS200 and Explorer. It's a great strategy to make it easy and affordable for new customers to begin to adopt great Meridian technology without making the rest of their system obsolete. If someone already has a top of the line audio system and wants to get into network digital audio, products like the MC200 and MS200, along with the iPad app, make it easy for them to access MDMS's state of the art music library and playback system without having to purchase things they already have (i.e. a DAC or a pre-amp). Now I'd love to see Meridian continue this trend by allowing customers to upgrade their MS200 or MS600 to the best Meridian has to offer without having to buy functionality you don't need (e.g. a version of the MS600 with an ID41 card and 818 quality analogue outputs to provide top of the line digital processing/DAC in a stand along device without a pre-amp).


Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
The trouble is that in reality, having every permutation of product to suit every individual will just make things more expensive and complicated. IMHO
You will end up having to buy on special order and if you circumstances change, you have to sell and buy something else.
It probably is cheaper, more efficient and environmentally friendly to make products in numbers (as much as that exists in Meridian world) that cover all bases and some features are never used by some people. The next owner may well use them, of course.

Just my view, you may well disagree. Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 94
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 94
In my opinion the digital output of the MS600 into a G68J was far superior to that of the MC200 into the same G68J.

The MS600 is a great product.

Most users on this forum agree with me.

Regards,
Phil


Lyngdorf MP-40, ROON Sever,598DP, Emotiva Gen 3 9 CH amp Musical Fidelity M8500S, Tannoy Definition DC10T and matching centre, Monitor Audio Gold FX surrounds, Velodyne DD15 sub, Sony KD75Z9, Toshiba EP35/Sony UHD X700, Townshend Isolda EDCT interconnects, speaker cable, Musicworks Reflex plus G3 ext block, Q4-ref isolation rack.
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997
Hitchhiker
G997
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
Like everything offered by a manufacturer, you have to make a choice. Or you can wish and hope and wait for something else.

Many times it's a good, better, best strategy and I believe that's what we have here. MS200, MS600, 818. I really don't think you'll see anything different for some time.

And, like most things, you get what you pay for...

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
+1 I think the current range of endpoints MS200, MS600, 818 covers all the bases.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
I purchased my MC200, MS200 and MS600 at the same time. I ran the MC200 in my 2 channel system and then added the MS600. The MS600 improved the SQ, sometimes significantly. The MS200 is in my HT system downstairs so I haven't compared the MS200 and MS600 directly. If I get motivated enough I'll do that at some point.

Ken


Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite
Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by ChrisLayerUK
The trouble is that in reality, having every permutation of product to suit every individual will just make things more expensive and complicated. IMHO
You will end up having to buy on special order and if you circumstances change, you have to sell and buy something else.
It probably is cheaper, more efficient and environmentally friendly to make products in numbers (as much as that exists in Meridian world) that cover all bases and some features are never used by some people. The next owner may well use them, of course.

Just my view, you may well disagree. Chris smile

True! However having an upgrade option for standard vs. top of the line sound cards in things like the MS600 (if feasible) would be great.


Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by Kerry
True! However having an upgrade option for standard vs. top of the line sound cards in things like the MS600 (if feasible) would be great.
Are you asking why you suggesting upgrade the 'sound card' in MS600 to an ID40/41?


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 425 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.069s Queries: 39 (0.044s) Memory: 0.8934 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 07:44:36 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS