Absolutely none of the above would prevent you from bringing the MS600 into the main listening room and connecting it to your G61 (for the moment).
Use MConfig to add the MS600 as a Source leave the C15 as a separate Source for comparison's sake.
Connect the MS600 to the same Network as the C15.
Select a Track on your C15 and choose the Output as the C15 Zone.
Then play the same Track using the MS600 Zone.
See what you think?
After that, you can then try cabling the MS600 Directly to the Front DSP pair but maybe consider that as a slightly longer term project.
All of the above would likely take about 5-10 minutes to set up and listen and it's well worth doing as you can see from all the similar posts here encouraging you to try it.
Ronnie and I crossed. Below is the procedure for "direct injection" into the 7000s for stereo. Those who have done this (me included) find that it is the best route.
Your 7000s definitely have two SPDIF (phono) inputs.
- Configure your G61 to an unused input for AUX - Configure the first front speaker (first as in where the SPDIF from the G61 goes in) to use D2 for AUX. Don't change the second front speaker. - Plug MS600 SPDIF output into first front speaker D2 - Plug MS600 COMMS into somewhere on processor or HD621 (may need DIN-BNC converter), although you may not need to if C15 is already plugged into COMMS. You will only loose the ability to power down the whole system from the MS600 front button.
If you press AUX the processor will send nothing to the surrounds. But the first front speaker will then switch to using the input the MS600 is plugged into.
Sounds complicated but it isn't really, and it's VERY elegant when setup. And I guarantee it will be the best sound you get in stereo from your total collection of equipment.
The main problem with trying this is generally M recommend that people set the centre channel as master. To get the spdif switching on your 7Ks to work you would have to rewire your system so that either Left or Right 7K is the master.
This is not true as far as I recall.
The Comms has to go through the master (perhaps centre) but as long as each speaker is configured correctly (I.e. with AUX using the second SPDIF input on the first of the main stereo pair) there should be no reason to change the master.
Before going too far down this route it might be useful to know where the master is.
(My master is rear right. )
Ludwig, I think I beg to differ if I understand your comment accurately.
For a DSP to use D1 and D2 inputs it has to be master (not slave). When set as slave the option to define D1 and D2 as inputs does not exist. Only when master is selected does this option appear.
So, if OP wants to test C15 into D1 and MS600 into D2 then it must be set on the master DSP.
If you have this working differently please shout up as I tried a couple of weeks ago (and failed).
Cheers
Last edited by ncpl; 2013-02-2821:33. Reason: added failure
And if I could just add because Huw is relatively new to all of this:
Certainly Huw can try using the MS600 thru the D7k D2 Input and therefore cabling direct to the DSP's bypassing the G61r.
However, for him to do a quick Evaluation of the merits of the MS600 over the C15, then simply putting it thru the G61 is the simplest way to do that at the moment and perhaps that's what we should encourage.
Simply add the MS600 as the never used "VCR2" Source in MConfig will allow him to switch between the C15 (Aux) and the MS600 (VCR2) Source buttons on the MSR.
Then playing the same Track to each Zones should allow for a quick and easy comparison.
Later on he can try the the Cable Direct to DSP to see the merits of that.
You beat me to it. In the DSP loudspeaker setup guide p33 it cleary states
> When the master DSP loudspeaker is set to one of the standard Types > the 12 source selection keys on the remote select inputs D1 and D2 > as shown in the table on page 34.
Theres also a good entry in the wiki, which also reiterates the advantage of avoiding the 3dB issue by configuring your system this way.
For a DSP to use D1 and D2 inputs it has to be master (not slave). When set as slave the option to define D1 and D2 as inputs does not exist. Only when master is selected does this option appear.
On the other hand, if you configure a D33 with LegacyConfig, it doesn't know if they are slave or master, and allows you to set the input for each source regardless of slave/master. That much is clear.
Whether it would actually work I can't swear by because when I used D2 it was only a stereo setup. On the other hand, when I was using a master speaker which was not being used for sound, I was not using D2 anywhere.
I'll move my second MS600 in a few days to give it a whirl.
We are though a bit OT. He's best off following Ronnie's advice and trying it through the processor first, although the difference may be less obvious that way.
Hi guys, this a collective reply to the last three or so posts, which generally are headed in the same general direction, by somewhat different routes. I feel I have opened Pandoras. Box!
If I may I would like to return to my original question, which relates to the second room sound quality. Of course its not only function of the MS600, but surely also is influenced by other parts of that less than perfect chain, and then the room itself.
To repeat: Room one C15 > MS600 in Room two (by Cat 5 ethernet) > G91A through D2 (aux) > 555 power amp > A500s. Interconnects are all high quality.
Assuming you guys are right and the MS600 outperforms the C15 in Room one with the suggested config, my dilemma remains. Actually now I might have several...
Notwithstanding I highly appreciate your expert inputs, quite a revelation. Does big M know all this? If they do they surely do not communicate it, also not their dealers.