Yes. It's not that you'll loose music, more the other way around: you may end up with CDs restored to the new storage which were no longer on the old storage.
Are you using Playlists much? Will loosing them be a problem for you?
I have a store that has failed, but I do have a backup. My plan has been to add an MD600, but that took longer than expected to get around to. Given the incremental nature of the backup system, how should I expect it to handle the backed up albums that are not currently present on the network? In other words, is there any danger in me losing the backup data for the now dead store unit simply by performing an additional backup operation (other than an HDD failure on the backup, of course)? I have available space to add albums on my other store units, so I have been doing that, but I have not run additional backup operations due to the above concern. Will I be ok running more backups until I get the MD600 in place?
My goal would be to add the MD600, run a restore, and have only those albums on the dead store get restored. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
My understanding is that Sooloos doesn't see individual stores rather it just sees the total available storage, so explaining why you never quite know where the data is if you have two storage devices, so in your case if you have more than one store and one has died if you replace it with an MD600 and then do a restore from your 'full system backup' then as long as you have the original store connected and on as well as the MD600 you should only restore the missing files, as I said earlier you will not know exactly where the files are being put, although it is not necessarily important.
Given the dead store's age, I won't pursue having it fixed. My thought is to just replace it with the MD600. So, I won't be able to bring that dead store online when I introduce the MD600. Do you see that as a problem or will I be ok?
By the way, I hope I didn't hijack the thread. If so, I'm happy to move this to it's own topic.
How many other stores do you have, what are they? Are they mirrored? It will help us to help you to know how to advise you I'm sure Russ will sort you out.
My view would be to restore everything onto your MD600, but it really does depend what capacity you need, and without telling us what you've got at present I've no way off knowing how realistic this is. MD600 will also run core, which may be preferable if your other kit is elderly.
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
Jeff raises an interesting issue for me - one I have been noodling over for a while. What is 'best practice' with regard to a single versus multiple stores? I tend to like just having a single store in the form of the RAID1 MD600 and would favor installing larger disc-drives over a second unit (less complex and clearly less costly). Never liked the notion of not knowing exactly what was where. May be somewhat moot in my case as I doubt I will exceed 2TB, but you never know.
One RAID0 store 1 Disk fails, you have no music. 2 Disks fail, you have no music. Store fails, you have no music.
One RAID1 store 1 Disk fails, you still have music. 2 Disks fail, you have no music. Store fails, you have no music.
Two RAID1 stores 1 Disk fails, you still have music. 2 Disks fail (one in each store), you still have music. 2 Disks fail (in the same store), you have half your music. 3 Disks fail, you have half your music. 1 Store fails, you have half your music. 4 Disks fail, you have no music. 2 Store fail, you have no music.