logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 211
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 211
Hi

I don't belive Sooloos have changed my listening habits very much. I don't use playlists so very much. I mostly play albums just like I used to do when I used CD. One major benefit for me is that I don't have fill shelf after shelf with discs and boxes. But sometimes I miss the possibilty to sit and read the lyrics and other stuff about the recording/artistwhich is included in the booklet.

I find the function most played very useful. Makes it easy for me to find my favorites.

There are many ways to make Sooloos fit ones needs.

I also like that my system is easy to start up, I just open the app, choose the music of my choice and it just sounds perfect right away.

Best regards, Per Nilsson, Sweden


Main: MC200, MS600, DSP5200, DSW, G61R, DSP5200HC, Genelec Two (as rear speakers), Marantz BD8002, G08, 2x TwinStores (1TB each), iPad1, iPad AIR, Isotek Multiway 6
Control:PC on Windows 8, Mac on OS 10.6.8
Computer: Genelec 6010A, IXOS 3,5mm to RCA, AQ Coffee USB Cable, Explorer
Kitchen: Tivoli Audio Model 1
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by Xanavi
my system is easy to start up, I just open the app, choose the music of my choice and it just sounds perfect right away.
This quote should be on M's site, it's what it's all about.


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
I can't speak for Sooloos (or rather MDMS!) as I have a Naim Unitiserve/NDX, but it runs through my 808.2i and my 5Ks say SLS, so it *must* sound identical wink

However, commenting on the basic principle of streaming music with CDs ripped to a common library, with instant access, playlists, iPhone/iPad control, etc. I'm an instant and complete convert! I'm already listening to more, and more varied, music and (re)-discovering albums long-buried on the shelf.

Just starting to configure playlists, etc., so we'll see how that all works out...


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by ThePioneer
I am very happy with the Sooloos ... and when you are a bit handy you can make your own cheap zone smile
How do you make your own cheap zone?


MC200, Chord DAC64, Cayin 300b, EPOS m-sub, Cabasse ki
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
A laptop and Control:PC running. Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by ChrisLayerUK
A laptop and Control:PC running. Chris smile
Will this be lossless or MP3


MC200, Chord DAC64, Cayin 300b, EPOS m-sub, Cabasse ki
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
I have no MP3 transcoded on my system, so it must be lossless unless it is being decoded on the fly.
I couldn't tell quality wise as my speakers are a bit basic. You could use an F/M 80 though.
Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Laptop and Control:PC will be MP3


C10, TwinStore(RM), MC600, MS600, MS200, Explorer
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Thanks guys. Not really an extra zone if it's only playing back MP3 imho, but there's always the MS200. Not cheap but not expensive either.


MC200, Chord DAC64, Cayin 300b, EPOS m-sub, Cabasse ki
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
I guess I would echo the observations of others that Sooloos does make it easier and more convenient to skip around your music collection. That said, I do still tend to listen to entire albums more often that not. One thing I really do like is the 'last played' tag that gives me a memory assist for music that hasn't been enjoyed for a while.


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 185
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 185
Serendipity.

A year ago the NY Times had a notice that Paul Motian had died. I had recently bought a recording of one of his last concerts, at Birdland. Didn't remember who it was filed under, drummers usually don't get top billing. But I searched under Birdland and recognized it among all the other Birdland stuff, it was Charlie Haden. (But why doesn't the search pane show album covers?)

Listened to that, and then looked under credits and Focused on Motian. Lots of albums. Oh, wow, Motian played on Portrait in Jazz, Evans's breakthrough album in 1959. Listened to that. But he also played with Anat Fort, a young Israeli piano player, on A Long Story in 2007. I read the review and listened to that again.

And Bobo Stenson and Enrico Rava and Marilyn Crispell and... Lots of listening.

But only on one Keith Jarrett album in my collection, At the Deer Head Inn. Only one? I have dozens of Jarrett albums. So after listening to Deer Head Inn, I look in the list By This Artist; of course many are solo performances, but in the Standards trio and many other groups he plays with Jack DeJohnette -- of course, I saw them at a concert recently.

So for comparison, I focused on DeJohnette. A similar pattern, from Miles Davis's Bitches Brew to Esperanza Spalding, who recently got a Grammy, beating out Justin Bieber. (No, I didn't listen to Bieber.)

And both Motian and DeJohnette had some albums under their own leadership, fascinating comparisons.

And then I pivoted on instrumentation, focused on Piano Trio. Pieranunzi plays with Joey Baron on drums, and so does John Taylor. Taylor also plays in Azimuth, an unusual piano trio with flugelhorn and soprano, no drums at all. And Hiromi, quite wild.

And it went on, a weekend of exploration.

This is about discovery, serendipity. It isn't about search, navigation. If I know what I want to listen to, of course I can find it, and of course it is more convenient than shelves of CDs. But tripping over interesting links, rediscovering my collection, that is the ultimate value.


Music room: 818v3, DSP8000SE, Roon/Intel NUC, microRendu/LPS-1 into Geek Pulse Xfi into Audeze LCD-3
HT: G61R, HD621, MS600, Oppo, Avantgarde Solo
Library: MS600, Bel Canto, Mark & Daniel
Other: SonicOrbiter, GeekOut, Audeze EL-8
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 185
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 185
And while writing this I did it again, swimming in Joey Baron. Played with Elaine Elias on an album released in September 2012, yeah, she was at a club in Seattle a month ago. And dang, suddenly Patricia Barber plays, didn't know Baron played with her, went to her club gig in Chicago a few years ago.

Keep swimming.

It doesn't end. Except it is time for dinner.


Music room: 818v3, DSP8000SE, Roon/Intel NUC, microRendu/LPS-1 into Geek Pulse Xfi into Audeze LCD-3
HT: G61R, HD621, MS600, Oppo, Avantgarde Solo
Library: MS600, Bel Canto, Mark & Daniel
Other: SonicOrbiter, GeekOut, Audeze EL-8
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 501 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,190
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.050s Queries: 40 (0.027s) Memory: 0.8899 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 23:04:22 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS