logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 … 10 11
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 495
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 495
Originally Posted by ChrisLayerUK
No it wouldn't IMHO smile you could get audio drop outs with no quality improvement. I have never had success with wireless music on squeezebox, just frustration.
I run SB wireless with no problems at all, and Sooloos via home plugs also with no problems. I suspect Sooloos would work perfectly well on a good wireless network.


MC200, Twinstore, 808v6/ID41 -> DSP8000SE (+ SB Touch, Sony BDP-3300, SKYHD, legacy cassette player)
2nd system: MC200 analogue out, Linn LP12, SB3 -> Quad 34 -> M60 rosewood
F80 (Rubino Micallizzato)
F80 (Rosso Corsa)
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 713
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 713
Originally Posted by Spinaltap
For those of us without either DSP's or any other Sooloos device...

Can this be used as a direct replacement for a Squeezebox, and that is capable of accessing content from a ReadyNAS?
Just so that you know for the future...

Sooloos is a four part recipe and you need all four parts to get the dish:

1) Store the music on hard disk = Sooloos "Store" (you cannot use a third party NAS - this must be Meridian)
2) Main engine of the system = Sooloos "Core" (you cannot use a PC or other computer for that - must be Meridian)
3) Get analogue or digital music out = Sooloos "Audio End Point" - again must be Meridian
4) Send instructions to the "Core" with a user interface = Sooloos "Control" (iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch / PC / Mac / Browser running Flash such as that on a Playbook)

So in answer to the question, this new MS200 is a standalone part 3 above. This means you'll need "Store", "Core", "Control".

Fortunately a MC200 has both "Store" and "Core" so would be an ideal partner. After that, you'll still need a "Control" of some sort. I imagine that most here use an iPad but I use a Blackberry Playbook for the time being. The iPad interface is vastly superior but the Playbook (running Meridian Control:Web in a browser) suits me fine for the time being.

/Marcus


Lounge: 861v4+ID40 (hardwired Cat 6), HD621, 2xDSP6000.2VC (l/r), DSP5500.2HC, 2*Jamo ARTina (rears), D2500, 556, 596P, PS3, Humax HDR-1000S
Bed 2: MD600 (hardwired Cat 6) , QNAP 453 Pro
Yetis #172930 2012-09-08 11:12
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Yetis
The minimum spend is the Media Core 200 and the iPad application. Well, along with a MS200.
You don't actually need the iPad. You will have to have a computer (PC or Mac) to load the Sooloos, and that can control it as well (as can an iPhone, if you happen to have one).

I have managed without an iPad for many months. If money is tight you can get one later.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
hecd2 #172942 2012-09-08 12:00
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by hecd2
Originally Posted by ChrisLayerUK
No it wouldn't IMHO smile you could get audio drop outs with no quality improvement. I have never had success with wireless music on squeezebox, just frustration.
I run SB wireless with no problems at all, and Sooloos via home plugs also with no problems. I suspect Sooloos would work perfectly well on a good wireless network.
iirc SB uses the TCP protocol which is better suited to less robust networks such as wireless. Still iirc, but early SB used UDP as used by Sooloos and changed to TCP due to issues found with some wireless networks. So a working SB over wireless is no definitive confirmation that Sooloos will work over wireless in the same environmental conditions.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Ian #172951 2012-09-08 13:04
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 495
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 495
Ok - thanks for that.


MC200, Twinstore, 808v6/ID41 -> DSP8000SE (+ SB Touch, Sony BDP-3300, SKYHD, legacy cassette player)
2nd system: MC200 analogue out, Linn LP12, SB3 -> Quad 34 -> M60 rosewood
F80 (Rubino Micallizzato)
F80 (Rosso Corsa)
Yetis #172991 2012-09-09 03:40
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Originally Posted by Yetis
No, You need a Sooloos Store and Core. The minimum spend is the Media Core 200 and the iPad application. Well, along with a MS200.

Pity. I suppose in this respect Linn and Naim's offerings are more flexible and affordable than those of Meridian. It would be much preferable if Meridian were to offer something similar.

The problem with the MC200 is the 'fixed' internal hard-drive. There is no upgrade path other than buying the latest model with larger capacity drive. What is more, by their nature, it is not a case of if the hard-drive will fail but when.

I don't have the budget for a MC600 so the greater flexibility of buying that version of Sooloos is impractical.


Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.

#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504
#2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia
#3: Other stuff
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Personally I'm still finding 500 GB rather a lot. I had in the back of my mind the size of Hi Res files and that causing a capacity problem but they don't sound (hardly any) better than an upsampled CD to me. If you've got thousands of CDS, fair enough.

When my drive goes (all safely backed up) I will be politely enquiring whether it can be replaced by a 1 TB one. I expect the "official" answer to be no...

Meanwhile in terms of zones, I'm Airplaying ControlMac to wherever I want, via Airport Express, direct to a rather funky pair of Airplay speakers and using ControlMac on any spare laptop using optical out. I've got more zones than places to put them, without buying anymore M gear (I'd love an MS200 linked to a pair of 3200s and a DSW please Santa).


MB #172999 2012-09-09 05:25
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
And you can get a TwinStore, or whatever the latest incarnation is. Once you have Sooloos you will want more zones in time.
It ain't cheap, but there you go. Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Originally Posted by Spinaltap
I don't have the budget for a MC600 so the greater flexibility of buying that version of Sooloos is impractical.
The new MC200 1TB at �2,000 (less discount) would allow a Library of up to 3,000 Albums

If that were not sufficient, then the MD600 at �2,500 would be the next step up, not necessarily the �6,000 MC600

The MD600 with 4TB Drives in Raid 0 config would allow >20,000 Albums in the 8TB space, which should be enough for most collections!


-
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Or
Originally Posted by Spinaltap
Originally Posted by Yetis
No, You need a Sooloos Store and Core. The minimum spend is the Media Core 200 and the iPad application. Well, along with a MS200.

Pity. I suppose in this respect Linn and Naim's offerings are more flexible and affordable than those of Meridian. It would be much preferable if Meridian were to offer something similar.

The problem with the MC200 is the 'fixed' internal hard-drive. There is no upgrade path other than buying the latest model with larger capacity drive. What is more, by their nature, it is not a case of if the hard-drive will fail but when.

Well let me just say I sold a Naim NS-01 (infrastructure version) for a Sooloos. People say they want to use their own NAS, which I have, but I could not be happier with the Sooloos. Naim was far less stable and expansion zones were not any cheaper. I would add that customer / corporate support is better with Meridian than with Naim.


Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC.
Secondary: MC600 (whole house).
Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE.
Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
ncpl #173014 2012-09-09 07:38
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by ncpl
Yes. Will be interesting for all non-critical listening locations/systems. MS600 may still prove to be the unit of choice elsewhere.
I wonder how many people really have more than one place where critical listening would necessitate the MS600? I know I only have one! Will also be interesting to see how much MS200 actually gives up in terms of sound quality.


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
Simon #173423 2012-09-15 16:59
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 757
Likes: 6
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 757
Likes: 6
Today I saw the MS200 'in the flesh' at the RS AV Solutions open day (thanks to everyone at RS AV for an interesting display and discussions) and I must admit it's seriously cute! It's significantly smaller than I expected (think hip flask or cigar case).

As others have said it will be interesting hear it - I think it was said it should sound better than MC200 audio outs.

But back to the size: the electronics inside must be quite compact; it must be 'easy' to fit those electronics into a box the size of a F80/M80 (OK I know the F80/M80 is a packaging marvel already...) and build in the Sooloos end point.

Chris


Lounge/Cinema, Trinnov, DSP8000XE, 4x 320.2 in-ceiling, M6 rear, 2x DSW.2
Roon Nucleus+ and 320.2 in-ceiling in many rooms (KEF in-ceiling in bathrooms)
Spare: DSP5000, 598, 562v2, 500Mk2, 518, 519, 504, 101B, M3, 861v4, 800 DVD, MS600, MC200
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 … 10 11

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Maxwell98, Colin Triggs, swpnt), 564 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.057s Queries: 40 (0.027s) Memory: 0.9009 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 13:18:13 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS