logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 264
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 264
We have a family wagon which the wife uses to drive the monsters around in. I sold my BMW sick to get the wagon. So I took over the old focus estate which is boring me to death.

At some point I want to get rid of it and I was wondering what the smart roadster is like? anybody got one?



561m, D5k fronts, Pair 205's running 2 x Scandyna micropod se centers. The Ball!! Scandyna Sub. Matching Scandyna rears with Boss car power amp ; )

www.MeridianRepairShop.co.uk
Ex. Meridian service engineer, contact me if you need service/support for legacy products.
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
I got a Smart ForTwo which is quite different from the roadster. However the concept of small turbo engine and automated manual is similar, albeit a quicker shift on roadster.

If I get into a car that I am not familiar with it normally doesn't take me very long to feel happy with its quirks. With my Smart, it took me 2 days and 10 years later, I still get caught out once in a while.

The problem is that due to the small engine, it has to change gears relatively often. And when it's changing gear, you obviously don't have any acceleration. As I say, the roadster has a faster shift, to it may be a bit less of a problem, but still something to be wary of. I still occasionally enter a roundabout then just when I need a bit of acceleration, find that it's in the process of changing down and I don't have any power to avoid the car that was coming from my right faster than I anticipated. Another one is speed bumps. My smart doesn't like them due to short wheel base and stiff suspension so I take them a bit slower than most other cars. Just as I have slowed to go over the top, I want to accelerate out the other side, but by then, it might be changing down and I don't have any power available, by which time, the chap behind me is right up my arse and often annoyed enough to overtake at the next speed hump.

But it's built to Mercedes standard and otherwise not a bad little town car which 99% of the time, is all that I need.

As in hifi, you need a demo.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 264
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 264
So do they all have semi auto then? Is the stick bump up and down?


561m, D5k fronts, Pair 205's running 2 x Scandyna micropod se centers. The Ball!! Scandyna Sub. Matching Scandyna rears with Boss car power amp ; )

www.MeridianRepairShop.co.uk
Ex. Meridian service engineer, contact me if you need service/support for legacy products.
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
It's a manual gearbox that has been automated. It's very different than if it was based on an automatic box. Basically the clutch and gear select is under control of the car, although some versions, mine included and I guess roadsters have a manual push/pull lever. Mine also has steering wheel paddles. However, even in manual mode, down shift will be automatically forced if not done manually in time.

Being a manual gearbox, the time for the car to depress the clutch, change gear and release clutch is under control of the car. I think in roadster it is more sporty, but unless its many order of magnitudes faster than ForTwo I bet can probably change gear 10 times faster in a manual car and when I want.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 264
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 264
Sounds like I may get annoyed with it. You never know until you drive it though. Is it the same engine in the for2 and the roadster? I just want something with cheap tax good economy sporty handling and fast upto 60.


561m, D5k fronts, Pair 205's running 2 x Scandyna micropod se centers. The Ball!! Scandyna Sub. Matching Scandyna rears with Boss car power amp ; )

www.MeridianRepairShop.co.uk
Ex. Meridian service engineer, contact me if you need service/support for legacy products.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
I've always fancied an old Moke. Fails miserably on the last two, but you'd bring a little sunshine to wherever you drove.


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
Originally Posted by Chris J C
I just want something with cheap tax good economy sporty handling and fast upto 60.
Originally Posted by dpstjp
I've always fancied an old Moke. Fails miserably on the last two, but you'd bring a little sunshine to wherever you drove.

Moke is based on (Issigonis) mini running gear; it can be made to go as fast as you want and handles better than most 'modern' cars.

Buggered if it rains though...

All the best,

Steve.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Rains? I'd love to say what's rain but since it was coming down tigers and hyenas earlier....


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by dpstjp
tigers and hyenas
It's 'cats and dogs' here.


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Usually that here as well, but that didn't quite seem to describe it adequately.

I could equally have said "staircases"... grin


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Do you mean "stair-rods"
Hector


AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
No. It was bigger than stair-rods... grin


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Colin Triggs), 594 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.058s Queries: 40 (0.032s) Memory: 0.8845 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 17:28:23 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS