|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687 Likes: 2
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687 Likes: 2 |
I was just commenting on your a/b ranking of the 808i2 as reference with the MC200/MS600 not far behind. The 808i2 is superb, but I hear the MDMS combination surpassing the 808i2's strengths in clarity and detail. I like the way the soundstage seems better developed. It's a bigger sound at least in my room/system. The 818 is a further step beyond. Can't say how much, but it's different and preferred, all IMO. You need a home demo, or find a way to get up to Sheffield 
Last edited by JimK; 2012-06-19 02:34.
Roon, Technics SL10 turntable, Meridian 218, Jolida tube DAC, Nuforce STA 200 Amp and passive Swallow Acoustics ALS2 speakers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
Thanks for clarifying, that's interesting! Actually what you quite understandably took for a/b ranking was not intended as such, it was only supposed to indicate option a, option b, but, looking back at the thread now, I forgot to add c and d to the others- my bad!
Still interesting to hear that impression of the relative strengths of the two combinations though! Yes I'm trying to hear some gear at my local dealers, but the problem is there's not really a way to listen to much 2nd hand gear for comparison there? I'd only be able to listen to an 808.3 vs MC200/MS600, and not the other two options at all as I know they currently have no 598, or G91s in. As I understand it, the 808.3 is on a par with the MC/MS combo, but is well out of my price range.
Edit: also given my preference for discs, and the fact I could probably do with a preamp function (would there be any other way to connect 3 sources to DSPs?) the non Sooloos routes look like better options and value right now, for my needs, I think.
Last edited by 3dit0r; 2012-06-19 03:28.
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167 Likes: 43
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167 Likes: 43 |
Hi,
I've just sent you a pm.
It looks as if you've almost come back to your starting point. I do think you want to take it easy and get used to your new DSP5k speakers before spending what seems like a load of cash.
I've got an old Dolby Digital AC-3 Processor (a sony EP-9es) which also acts as a pretty handy digital switcher with a digital output (I can't remember if it has a SPDIF output). I'd suggest that you look for something like that (Onkyo/Pioneer/Denon/Panasonic did similar units) and you can use that to switch between sources. They come up on eBay and you should be able to pick one up for well under �100. Alternately, I suggested a Zektor switcher earlier on as an alternative switcher. If they only output via a optical then you can add an optical/coax converter for another �30 (max). That would be you sorted with other sources until you decide on what M kit you want to go with.
Spending a bit more would get you a 562V switcher if you want to stay with Meridian kit.
Brian
Main: G65, MD600 Sooloos, MC200 Roon Core, MS600, 210, 218, UHD722, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6 & DSW.2 System 2: AC200 MS200, WiiM Pro+, M6. Other: DSP5000 (96/24v1), DSP3300.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
Thanks for the switcher idea, could come in handy! I don't feel like I've come full circle, though, tbh. I've familiarised myself with a lot of Meridian gear and philosophy and jargon with the help of the kind folks here, and am pretty close to making a decision, having narrowed down to two or three options. I need to source a decent source, no joke intended, fairly fast because my old CDP broke and parts can no longer be had. I won't have the loaner machine I've currently got access to for much longer. Also I should explain my existing analogue setup is pretty fine, so whatever I get now has to live up to that, or I will be taking a step backwards! I do take the point about getting used to the 5Ks though 
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
Don't put in a "Switcher" or Opt to Coax Converter that will just add Jitter.......and negate the investment in a low jitter CD Source
If you put such a device in the "Chain" before your D5k's, then that will need a similar investment of time and money to make sure it doesn't degrade the sound coming from a good quality source
-
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167 Likes: 43
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167 Likes: 43 |
hi,
My suggestion for the switcher was simply a relatively cheap (relative to a Meridian component) way to connect other sources to the second input on the speakers. The primary source would still go directly to the speaker so there would be no degradation of the sound.
Brian
Last edited by bxd; 2012-06-19 09:35.
Main: G65, MD600 Sooloos, MC200 Roon Core, MS600, 210, 218, UHD722, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6 & DSW.2 System 2: AC200 MS200, WiiM Pro+, M6. Other: DSP5000 (96/24v1), DSP3300.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
Yes, I'd avoid a switcher like the plague on the CD source to speakers where I want max SQ, but something like the Meridian switcher you mentioned might be of sufficient quality for the other sources on input-2, for sure, and pretty cheap s/h.
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 340 Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 340 Likes: 3 |
A 568 for about �400 would be pretty good as a "switcher"!!
Thanks, Edd
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 179 Likes: 13
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 179 Likes: 13 |
Hello All,
A G68 or G61 with latest fimware would apodise and upsample all connected sources for your DSP's. One lucky HH recently picked up a G68J on eBay for �800. A 598/G68 combo would essentially give you what you want.
Could any HH's in the know, comment on how much of an improvement to overall sound quality does having the source apodise compared to apodising in the pre-amp/processor?
best regards
Frank
Main system:G65, 218, HD621 2 x DSP5200SE, 1 x DSP5200HCSE, 2 x DSP5200SL, Power Sound Audio S1512, DSP Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual core, NuPrime H16AES, 518, Dune HD Homatics Box R 4K Plus running CoreElec 21.3, Oppo 103D and SqueezeTouch. Atmos, MQA and Trifield!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
Certainly an option if they can be had that cheaply. From what I understand, it's not just apodizing, but also upsampling, which can only be done once and is always better done earliest. This would make the 808 the purest option?
Quick question: are the variable analogue outputs of the 808 done in digital or analogue domain? If digital, is there an attenuation point at low volumes where you start to lose resolution?
James
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165 Likes: 67
Meridian Partner Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Meridian Partner Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165 Likes: 67 |
Quick question: are the variable analogue outputs of the 808 done in digital or analogue domain? If digital, is there an attenuation point at low volumes where you start to lose resolution? Hi James, It's hybrid, analogue large steps and digital in between. The problem you highlight with pure digital attenuation doesn't arise. This is standard practice througout the Meridian range. Cheers, Rick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
Thanks Rick, good to know!
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
1 members (ncpl),
458
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|