|
|
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167 Likes: 43
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167 Likes: 43 |
Hi,
Oppo should output CDs at native rate with DVD audio at 48k (or 96k if it can do that).
Brian
Last edited by bxd; 2012-06-16 06:16.
Main: G65, MD600 Sooloos, MC200 Roon Core, MS600, 210, 218, UHD722, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6 & DSW.2 System 2: AC200 MS200, WiiM Pro+, M6. Other: DSP5000 (96/24v1), DSP3300.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
I could def use the 93 decoding to 2-Ch straight into 5Ks, right? If so, could/should I set it to output 96k over digital coaxial out to take advantage of the 24/96 in the 5Ks, or just leave it native sample rate and let them do their stuff? As you are thinking of Sony BD player I will chime in and say even my 480 can output DTS/DD/SACD as 2 ch PCM that will directly feed DSP speakers. Not sure if I can control bit rate on my 480 but with 96/24 speakers it's not going to be a problem.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
OK, thanks guys, I think I'm being too paranoid about players being able to decode and output 2-ch through their digital coaxial outputs, although, I did notice that the latest Pioneer machines no longer have 2-ch coax-digi out at all!
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
Hm, I just became aware (remember how new I am to Meridian) that the 808i series CDPs also have built-in preamps, and sometimes are quite reasonable (comparatively) second-hand?
Might be a good solution for me as it would allow reference quality CD playback which is most important for me, plus digi-inputs for other 2-ch sources such as Bluray/DVD, Sky set-top box, etc?
Just a thought...
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579 Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579 Likes: 22 |
...reference quality CD playback which is most important for me, plus digi-inputs for other 2-ch sources such as Bluray/DVD, Sky set-top box, etc? Hi 3dit0r I haven't chimed in on this discussion so far, but you comment above does crystalise things for me. You would definitely be best served by a Meridian CD player and a separate BD player for BD and the other formats. There's a large and obvious difference between transports, and you won't get anywhere near Meridian sound quality from a universal player for your CDs. You mentioned the 808; it would appear that a used 808.2i can be had for around �3500, and it's revelatory in it's performance. I own one, having upgraded from two CD set ups, a 598 and 500MkIII/518 combination. I use the digital preamp facility for a Squeezebox Touch, and it does have analogue inputs too, which will be of good quality (I don't need to use them). �3500 is still an enormous chunk of money though, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending the 598 as the best all rounder across all musical genres, and without needing any other boxes to tweak it's performance (eg 500MkIII with the 518). It will also give markedly better DVD sound quality than an Oppo 93 as you are using two channel configuration, and depending on your screen, may look not too bad picture-wise either. That's icing though, over and above the CD performance. You're looking at roughly �450 for one. Not sure about the serviceability comment; the 598 uses the same drive as the 808.2, and Meridian have them in stock. Just as a few final points, I wouldn't get hung up on apodising per se; Meridian themselves still recommend SPDIF direct to the processor over HDMI 'HD621 to the processor for CD replay and DVD decoding, as the inherently high HDMI jitter takes it's toll. It's just that with BD discs, the newer decoding formats are only available over HDMI, hence the HD621. Hope that's a help. George
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
Hi George, Thanks for that, I think this is a good opportunity to sum up progress I've made in deciding, with everyone's kind help on this thread so far! I only just discovered that 808i.2 can be had for so 'little', and it's making me think, tbh. Here's some of the main options, as I see them right now- a) 808i.2 @ approx �3500 used pros: - pretty much reference CD performance, which is my main concern - future speaker upgrades won't likely reveal much deficiency in the source - pre-amp very useful for other upstream sources like universal player for movies (I'm not really that bothered by multichannel for this) and Sky Box, etc. - SpeakerLink outputs future proof for when I inevitably upgrade to newer DSPs  - no hassle of network setup, and I like spinning discs - apodizing cons: - still relatively expensive (might be money better spent on saving up for s/h DSP5200s)? b) MC200 + MS600 @ approx �3750 new pros: - probably close to the SQ of the above (I'm led to believe?), so again future speaker upgrades won't likely reveal much deficiency in the source. - SpeakerLink outputs future proof for upgrade to newer DSPs - I can buy in increments: MC200 first, then MS600 - apodizing cons: - as above, still relatively expensive (might be money better spent on saving up for s/h DSP5200s)? - Hassle of setup, and ripping, etc. I'm not a huge fan of network based stuff, although probably very good and even more convenient once this is actually done, so this might not actually be a con! - with more than one other source into DSPs I'd still have to buy another preamp like an AC200 at extra cost. - inevitably more storage needed later, again at extra cost. G08.2 @ �1700 ish(?) s/h pros: - very good CD replay, I expect - as above, I like discs to spin - cheaper, but once you add a preamp... See cons- - apodizing cons: - seem very rare second hand - no preamp, so more outlay required, e.g. AC200, taking it near the price of the 808i.2 overall for using more than 2 sources to DSPs - no SpeakerLink 598 @ approx �450 s/h pros: - considerably cheaper - allows me to spin discs - apparently still a very good CDP (how good relative to above CDPs? Anyone?) - apparently still serviceable, which changes my mind a bit on this! cons: - no preamp - no apodizing - no speakerlink BUT - adding an AC200 would add all these? - DVD playback to 1080p screen probably not up to the BDP I'll have to get separately anyway, and likely BNC connector, etc. (can anyone comment on this aspect also?) ALL the above options assume a separate, probably relatively cheap player for Bluray and DVD movies, which I'm not as fussy about. Wow, that was thinking out loud in the extreme, but I think the first and last options come out looking good? What do you guys think? I reckon for my needs it would be either just go for a s/h 808i.2 for about �3500, or depending on how relatively good you guys think the 598 really is as a CD transport, that plus an AC200, or similar, for about �2,250. All comments and suggestions welcome, as are any preamp options with apodizing, digital inputs and SL outputs which might be cheaper than an AC200 s/h. OK, I'm exhausted thinking about all that. Coffee time 
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87 |
W.r.t the 598 just count the number of times it has come up as a recommendation. They are terrific value and performance. Don't forget it plays CD/DVD/DVDA. I am biased 
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
Haha, yes  and I am considering it, now I know drives are apparently serviceable! Also, now I've had that summing up, Ronnie's earlier comment now makes more sense, as I just fully absorbed the fact that G91/92 also have preamps built in, etc. I feel like I've been on a Meridian crash course the last week or so! Looks like these can be had for between �1000 and �1500. Don't know whether they'll accept an apodize update, or how good they are as CDPs...?
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1 |
One question I still don't know the answer to is exactly what sources are you thinking of having in your listening room?
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
OK, a very HQ CD or equivalent for playing back 'red book' material which comprises almost 100% of my current and foreseeable future music collection (although I'm certainly not averse to high res as/if it becomes more widely available).
A DVD/Bluray source, which I'm not *as* fussy on SQ wise, but like decent picture. Only really need 2-Ch.
A Sky, or possibly in the future Freesat/Freeview box, same requirement as DVD/Bluray above.
I don't have any turntables, etc., and don't currently live in an area with radio reception, although future provision may be needed.
That's all I can think of right now...
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687 Likes: 2
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687 Likes: 2 |
b) MC200 + MS600 @ approx �3750 new pros: - probably close to the SQ of the above (I'm led to believe?), so again future speaker upgrades won't likely reveal much deficiency in the source. In my experience, MC200/MS600 sound quality is superior to the 808i2.
Roon, Technics SL10 turntable, Meridian 218, Jolida tube DAC, Nuforce STA 200 Amp and passive Swallow Acoustics ALS2 speakers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
How much better, or maybe I should ask 'in what respects'?
Indeed, what are we talkin about in degrees of difference between all the sources I'm considering vs. cost? E.g. 598/AC200 vs G91A vs MC200/MS600 vs 808i.2?
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
1 members (JCD),
284
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|