|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
Hi Gary, Thanks for that! Yes I do keep hearing the Oppos are good, and my dealer said that through the HD621+861 even a PS3 beats audiophile CD spinners. however, that is about �12,500 of processor after the Bluray source, so I would imagine is should sound great indeed  Bluray wise, as mentioned above, I checked out the newer Sony and Panasonic players. The Sony BDP-S790, or the Panasonic DMP-BDT500, look very good for the price and would leave me more cash to spend on a great dedicated 2-ch source... Decisions, decisions 
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
For half the price of the 790 you can get a multiregion (DVD) 480 from Richer Sounds. Probably just as good picture wise but it doesn't support 4k displays  even more money to spend on a spinner.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272 |
I'm not familiar with the Panasonic but I know the Sony BDP-S790 is very good.
I always found making audiophile decisions fun.
gary
My Kit: Trinnov Altitude 32,Oppo BDP 203, Sony 600es, Martin Logan Neoliths Mains with VTL Siegfried II's, ML CLX's, ML Renaissance, 5 ML Theaters,13 ML Vanquish, 6 ML Edges, 6 ML Axis' 8 Velodyne DD-18+'s, Pass Labs 600.8,Pass Labs 160.8, Pass labs 160.5, Bryston 14B-SST, 6B-SST,6 Bryston 9BSST^2's, 14' Stewart Screen, Berkely Alpha DAC RS
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
I'd forgotten to check out good old Richer Sounds!
The Panny looks really interesting especially sound-wise- even 'tube' type filters, which while not purist might be kinda fun! Also on the Panny (and the Oppo), you can even select the sample rate it outputs on that output- important if I'm using it direct into DSPs...
On the S790, I couldn't see in the manual how/whether it decodes formats down to 2-ch stereo on the Digital Coaxial out. Can anyone confirm whether it will do this, and what sampling rate conversions might take place?
Last edited by 3dit0r; 2012-06-15 17:37.
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 854 Likes: 5
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 854 Likes: 5 |
...My only issue with the Oppo is that it does not support 6.1 audio found on some movies such as "Star Wars" and "Lord of the Rings"... Gary, Even if the Oppo supported 6.1, Meridian doesn't support rear center channels. So why would this exclusion matter to a Meridian owner? Happy Trails! MTB Vince
2ch: Jay's Audio CDT2 Mk3, PS DirectStream Dac, Oracle Delphi VI/SME V/Benz LP-S, Coincident Statement Linestage, Foundation Research V5 Phono, JL Audio CR-1 xover M-ch: OppoMod 203, Anthem AVM60, 2x 557 2x or 5x ATC SCM20ASL mk2, 4x SCM12i, 4x Seaton Submersive HP, AM2.0 sub EQ Video: JVC X990, Isco 3L A-lens/sled, 105" motorized 2.37:1 AT screen
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
The amount of different multichannel and high-res audio codecs these days is staggering- I admit to not having kept up with it at all until moving into Meridian gear this past week. Being an analogue 2-Ch guy up til now made it largely irrelevant, as I'd just have the player itself decode to 2-Ch analogue out.
What really surprises me is that some of the highest quality formats like the newer movie multi-channel and SACD, etc, can only be output through HDMI, which I'd always been led to believe was an inherently jittery connection? Seems a shame the industry didn't either make HDMI so it carried a word clock channel, or just move over to balanced digital AES/EBU or something similar to Meridian's Speakerlink when they had a chance...
I guess I'm eventually going to be looking at something like an HD621+processor to get into multichannel world...
Last edited by 3dit0r; 2012-06-16 00:55.
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272 |
Gary,
Even if the Oppo supported 6.1, Meridian doesn't support rear center channels. So why would this exclusion matter to a Meridian owner?
Happy Trails! MTB Vince Vince, I am set up for 7.1. If I play a 6.1 Bluray the HDMI standard says I should get the rear center in both of my rear channels. I have an LG player which does this in my system, however the Oppo will play the rear center in my right rear channel only, giving an out of balance audio. This is a function of the player. There was a thread on this last year and one of our HH'ers contacted Oppo and asked them why the inexpensive LG handled 6.1 but the Oppo did not. Oppo's response was essentially hey live with it. Regards, Gary
My Kit: Trinnov Altitude 32,Oppo BDP 203, Sony 600es, Martin Logan Neoliths Mains with VTL Siegfried II's, ML CLX's, ML Renaissance, 5 ML Theaters,13 ML Vanquish, 6 ML Edges, 6 ML Axis' 8 Velodyne DD-18+'s, Pass Labs 600.8,Pass Labs 160.8, Pass labs 160.5, Bryston 14B-SST, 6B-SST,6 Bryston 9BSST^2's, 14' Stewart Screen, Berkely Alpha DAC RS
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
Hi Gary In about March this year, Oppo released a Firmware Update which allegedly fixed the issue with 6.1 soundtracks I haven't actually tested it, but it should be worth trying on the Movies that you reported the problems with Oppo Firmware Release Notes
Last edited by Ronnie; 2012-06-16 03:16.
-
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272 |
Ronnie,
Thanks for the info I'll check it out this weekend. Based upon the link it looks like they may have the correction. Maybe Oppo was not as deaf as I thought.
Gary
Last edited by GaryArthur; 2012-06-16 03:44.
My Kit: Trinnov Altitude 32,Oppo BDP 203, Sony 600es, Martin Logan Neoliths Mains with VTL Siegfried II's, ML CLX's, ML Renaissance, 5 ML Theaters,13 ML Vanquish, 6 ML Edges, 6 ML Axis' 8 Velodyne DD-18+'s, Pass Labs 600.8,Pass Labs 160.8, Pass labs 160.5, Bryston 14B-SST, 6B-SST,6 Bryston 9BSST^2's, 14' Stewart Screen, Berkely Alpha DAC RS
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1 |
Of course, I still have my modded BDP-83 for sale that would enable you to have a few more options before needing to decide one way or another which way to go. https://www.meridianunplugged.com/u...s=oppo+dpstjp&Search=true#Post160068Can be hand delivered to the IoW mid next month...
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272 |
Hi Gary In about March this year, Oppo released a Firmware Update which allegedly fixed the issue with 6.1 soundtracks I haven't actually tested it, but it should be worth trying on the Movies that you reported the problems with Oppo Firmware Release NotesRonnie, Update is in place and the 6.1 now works perfect on the Oppo. Somehow I missed this one. Thanks again. Gary
My Kit: Trinnov Altitude 32,Oppo BDP 203, Sony 600es, Martin Logan Neoliths Mains with VTL Siegfried II's, ML CLX's, ML Renaissance, 5 ML Theaters,13 ML Vanquish, 6 ML Edges, 6 ML Axis' 8 Velodyne DD-18+'s, Pass Labs 600.8,Pass Labs 160.8, Pass labs 160.5, Bryston 14B-SST, 6B-SST,6 Bryston 9BSST^2's, 14' Stewart Screen, Berkely Alpha DAC RS
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
Nice to know Oppo implement useful upgrades, knowing things like that sways purchasing decisions for sure.
I could def use the 93 decoding to 2-Ch straight into 5Ks, right? If so, could/should I set it to output 96k over digital coaxial out to take advantage of the 24/96 in the 5Ks, or just leave it native sample rate and let them do their stuff?
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
487
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,190
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|