Thanks for all this, guys, very helpful!

I should mention a few things, to be clear about what I'm after, I think-

Firstly, although I mentioned my PS3 in passing, it's only because my main source gave up the ghost, so it got pressed into service while I'm finding a new one, I wouldn't intend it to become the main source, I use it only for gaming normally.

I have a slight preference for spinning discs, as I don't enjoy interacting with computers much, although I do already own an iPad, so an MC200 would certainly be a possibility. I suppose the things I'm concerned with are simplicity and quality at this stage, which will allow me to upgrade to newer/better gear as funds allow?

Eventually I'll probably move over to some kind of Sooloos, I guess almost inevitably since Meridian will probably not make CD players much longer? But given that the tech is new and will probably get better, am I better off with a universal player and the HD621 now, which I can then integrate into, say, an AC200, MC600, DSP5200, all using SpeakerLink later on?

The killer question for right now is- will a decent universal player through, say, an HD621, give me as good audio quality (or damn near) to something like a g08.2 for my 2-ch music, or do I need to separate music source and video source to really get the quality I need? Not having ever tried that route I have no idea how good it would be? If quality were going to be largely equal, it would be lovely to just buy one good Bluray/DVD/CD player and have done, BUT I am more fussy about my 2-ch music sound quality than I am with movie soundtracks, tbh.

Also, just to be clear- so for 2-ch audio from redbook CDs, would I use the HDMI-out of a universal disc player into the HD621, which would then up sample, apodise, and feed out to the 5Ks? Or would I have to use the coax-out of the disc player?

Sorry for my ignorance on this- new territory for me!


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502