Thanks for the welcome, guys smile and the really useful info! You have no idea how de-confusing it is to know that it's best to apodize as near to source as possible, so I don't have to stress about it being in the speakers, as long as they're 24/96 capable.

OK, as far as CD players go, I read the data sheets on Duncan's info site before posting, and it was a little more subtle on the g08.2, by the looks- it seems only the third revision had apodizing, the first two revisions of the 8.2 had 'upsampling' and a slot-loading drive, but no apodizing. The question is, can they all be upgraded in firmware if they're an 8.2 spec?

The MC200 is definitely something I've considered, but when I asked my local dealer he reckoned that as a standalone into dsps, it was on a par roughly with a g06, but the g08.2 apodizing would beat it. I'm open to other opinions though!

Other options would be to apodize in a Meridian controller of some kind, ideally with room correction, and have a decent CD/DVD source?

Regarding the dsp5000.2s, did the 24/96 and amp upgrade fix what some claim is slightly flabby bass, or has this been over exaggerated? My room is quite small and probably won't get much bigger any time soon! Sometimes though, I've found that that kind of bass problem people blame on speakers is actually down to clean source and amplification feeding them.

Any thoughts at all welcome!


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502