logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hi Folks,

I wanted to start a thread where we can share tips and tweaks for getting the best sound out of our Sooloos equipment. I have an MC200 and use the digital output to a DAC. So far have found a few things that seem to make a difference in terms of the sound:

1. Placement of the Sooloos. When I moved the Sooloos off of the shelf above my amp to the hardwood floor beside my audio stand I got an improvement in sound - better dynamics and articulation. I think proximity to high powered amps is a real issue, as the manual does state!

2. Power source. I have all my audio equipment (DAC, pre amp and amp) plugged into a Nordost QB8 power bar. In doing so, and following Nordost's instructions on the order of sockets in the powerbar in which to plug these units to take advantage of the star earth grounding system, I got an improvement in sound over plugging the units into the wall or into my power conditioner. However, when I plugged my Sooloos into the powerbar the sound through the Sooloos was kind of muted and noticably lacking in high frequency extension. When I plugged the Sooloos into the wall instead, the sound was much improved. Strange!

3. Digital cables. I've started a discussion on digital cables in another thread as I'd like to get other's opinions on cables that pair well with the Sooloos. Suffice to say ( and I know some find this controversial and even "hogwash"), my experience has been that digital cables influence the sound I get out of the Sooloos. I was hoping that digital cables would be more immune to this phenomenon than analogue cables, but his has not been my experience. So far I have been unable to find a digital cable that pairs with the Sooloos to create the same sound I get from CD with my Simaudio 650D transport/DAC, which is frustrating because both are using the same DAC!

4. File type. I find I get the best sound out of wave files. I'd love for the FLAC files ripped from CD using Contol PC to sound as good as wave files to save space on the hard drive but alas, although it is close, they are not quite as good. I still use FLAC for most of my music on the Sooloos but i use wave for my best sounding audiophile albums. AIFF files sound significantly worse than wave and FLAC on my system - who knows why but they sound so thick and muted that I can't listen to them! I won't get into ripping software but I think I've heard differences there too - I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) for wave files. I understand Sooloos also uses EAC as its native ripping software for FLAC.

Looking forward to hearing tweaks from others and helping each other get the most out of our Sooloos equipment!

Last edited by Kerry; 2012-06-09 09:51.

Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
Given that the digital output on a MC200 is processed by the onboard DSP (and Meridian do a lot of processing even on a two channel device) the chances of you getting the same sound from a MC200 as from a CD in another manufacturers player are pretty low.

I'm also pretty certain there's a thread here where one of our more 'conscientious' members setup a random playlist on his Sooloos system and ABX'd between FLAC and WAV, with predictable results - a 50% success rate in guessing which was which.


Mark
G68, baby Genelecs, Humax Foxsat, Oppo+Vanity93, Toshiba HD-A35, Pioneer CLD-925 + Meridian 519, various other random bits and bobs
Got a black G08.2 you want to sell?
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
TBH, your flogging a dead horse spending any money on the MC200 trying to improve sound.

Obviously stick with placement and file formats that pleases your hearing, but hot rodding with cables, conditioners etc should only be considered once one of the higher quality units is used, ie MS600, ID40 in 861v6/808.3 or ID41 in 818.

FWIW, it has been proven elsewhere that output of WAV and FLAC produce identical digital output after being decoded. I posted a link to this recently. Yet people still prefer WAV. The only difference can only be contamination in the audio device by the PC components. Move to non PC bases Sooloos product as listed above will remove the only variable part of the equation - once audio is out of the core ie MC200' it's in the same format irrespective of whether it started life as WAV, FLAC etc.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
get an F/ M 80' they are cheap enough now........... Are you using the digital output upsampled and apodised or is it the 1x sample rate? Get a 96 kHz DAC if you don't already have one. Glad your enjoying it all, Cheers, Chris smile

Last edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2012-06-09 11:03.

No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
How to improve the MC200?

Put an MS600 between it and your DAC. And, even bypass the DAC and see what the MS600 can do direct into whatever amp you use.

You will find dozens of posts on this board regarding the SQ of this unit.

As your original post says, you are playing with computer audio with an MC200 as the end point. Using an MS600 elevates that to a streamed device which makes so much more impact than tweaking cables or conditioners will on the MC200.

One example for you to consider.....there are no noisy HDD inside the MS600. Compare that to the MC200.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by ChrisLayerUK
Are you using the digital output upsampled and apodised or is it the 1x sample rate? Get a 96 kHz DAC if you don't already have one. Glad your enjoying it all, Cheers, Chris smile

I'm using the factory settings which I believe uses the up sampling apsodising. There is a setting to force 1X sampling to turn that off but I haven't tried that setting yet.

I do have a pretty high end Simaudio DAC that handles up to 192/24 I believe.

Thanks for your advice!


Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by ChrisLayerUK
get an F/ M 80' they are cheap enough now........... Are you using the digital output upsampled and apodised or is it the 1x sample rate? Get a 96 kHz DAC if you don't already have one. Glad your enjoying it all, Cheers, Chris smile

What's an F / M 80?


Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 363
Mat Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 363
I assume either an F80 or an M80.


Sitting Room: 7200SE, 218
Kitchen-Dining: M6, 210
Roon-Tidal MQA, HiRes HDD
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by Mat
I assume either an F80 or an M80.

Oh. I should say that I am already using the MC200 as the source for a full size two channel stereo system, so the M80 doesn't really make sense for my application. Looks cool though!


Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Well worth an audition Kerry, it will surprise you and makes a great clock radio lol Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
I'm sure it leaves the likes of Bose in the dust!


Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687
Likes: 2
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687
Likes: 2
+1
Tips and tweaks can make only a marginal difference, at best. The MS600 raises the sound quality to a whole new level.


Roon, Technics SL10 turntable, Meridian 218, Jolida tube DAC, Nuforce STA 200 Amp and passive Swallow Acoustics ALS2 speakers
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bittemand), 352 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,190
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.084s Queries: 40 (0.048s) Memory: 0.8887 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 07:06:51 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS