logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Just thinking about Meridian withdrawing from disc players, we now have 2 channel music available from server based systems with little sign of MC upgrades coming along. MC music, as Meridian say, is a limited market segment and so the main MC requirement is for film. The only realistic way to see a HD/MC film at home is via BD and Meridian do not have a player.

It seems logical that, with no in house source, they will let the legacy MC processors wither away and become a lifestyle music server company. Meridian Digital Media System? What media are they talking about?


Malcolm
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 594
Likes: 14
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 594
Likes: 14
Originally Posted by MalcolmW
It seems logical that, with no in house source, they will let the legacy MC processors wither away and become a lifestyle music server company. Meridian Digital Media System? What media are they talking about?

I don't think they'll let their MC processors whither away if only because they would then lose the opportunity to sell you seven and a bit very expensive speakers instead of just two.

As for what media, just like the Good Old Boys, they will maintain that they are able to play it all: both country AND western.


Main System: Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 2 x 8KXE, 1 x 8KPP, 6 x M6 Surrounds, Rel No.25, Oppo 203, Zappiti Pro 4K HDR, Roon, WiiM Mini.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by MalcolmW
It seems logical that, with no in house source, they will let the legacy MC processors wither away
I don't think so; there are plenty of multi-channel sources out there (DVD players, BD player, media players and STBs) and the HD621 exists as an interface to these devices.

But, p-l-e-a-s-e Meridian, if it's possible, can you add vanilla DD/DTS decoding to the HD621?


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
But, p-l-e-a-s-e Meridian, if it's possible, can you add vanilla DD/DTS decoding to the HD621?

Yeh! And stick another HDMI ouput while you're at it.


I thnk there's little doubt that disc spinners are dying. What I want is a high quality multi-media client (multi-channel audio, high definition video (+3D), photos) all controllable by a mobile device app. I don't think that asking for much.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Beyond being able to then Upsample in the Meridian Processor, what advantage does DD/DTS in the HD621 offer??........I understand it would be a handy feature, but how much more??

I agree on the 2nd HDMI Output for Dual Display situations


-
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by Ronnie
Beyond being able to then Upsample in the Meridian Processor, what advantage does DD/DTS in the HD621 offer??........I understand it would be a handy feature, but how much more??
While Meridian still sold DVD players, I would agree that it only made sense with STBs; and you could put together a convincing case their bit rates are so low, it wouldn't be worth it. But with no more Meridian video spinners, new customers are *forced* to decode lossy DD/DTS in their (presumably Blu-Ray) players.

Now, according to Meridian, it does lossy DD/DTS decoding better than the competition. So, looking at this with sound quality as the prime objective, I see three possibilities:

- There is no Meridian DD/DTS-decoding special sauce vs. good non-Meridian players. Not that Meridian would ever admit this. In which case, we should decode DVD soundtracks in the DVD/BD player. Few STBs that do this though.

- Decoding in a Meridian DVD player and up-sampling in a Meridian processor was never really worth it at typical lossy DD/DTS rates. Is this credible?

- There is special Meridian sauce when it comes to decoding DD/DTS. In which case, all lossy DD/DTS would benefit from decoding in an HD621.

Edit: Mind you, this would all be moot if Meridian had bothered to re-architect the 861v6 properly and add the ability to decode and up-sample.

Last edited by VirusKiller; 2012-03-08 06:34.

Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 337
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
[quote=MalcolmW]
But, p-l-e-a-s-e Meridian, if it's possible, can you add vanilla DD/DTS decoding to the HD621?
Yes, and while we're at it, how about SPDIF inputs and TrueHD and DTS MA decoding?

Edit - OK, since the controllers have apodising now, we don't need SPDIF inputs. It was just something I remember being frustrated about when I got my HD621.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by WelwynNick
how about spdif inputs and TrueHD and DTS MA decoding?
Why are these needed?

SPDIF would be nice to have, but HDMI is now the norm.

TrueHD and DTS (HD) MA are lossless formats which incur no disadvantage by decoding in the player. Delivery via HDMI from a non-Meridian player is the only available mechanism as SPDIF bandwidth is too small.

Decoding for DD+ is another matter (though again HDMI delivery would be the accepted transfer mechanism).


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 337
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by Cbunny
The best they could do is put the guts of an Oppo in a Meridian box with Meridian comms and maybe MHR outputs and sell it for a modest premium (Oppo + �300 max). Don't even try to claim it's something it's not (cough)Lexicon(/cough)

Its a vain hope, but that's what I'd like to see as well. Yes, the HD621 achieves that functionality, but since the digital audio has to be converted to HDMI and then back again, I don't accept that there's no performance penalty. Several media players don't decode the lossless codecs, either.

I'm convinced that the only way to get the best possible SQ in a high-def multi-channel Meridian system is to have MHR outputs on the player. HDMI should never have been invented, but since we can't avoid it now, lets keep it for video, and never for audio.

Yes, I know most people don't agree....

Nick


Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
I'd rather take MMHR from an ID80 with video.. Otherwise the upcoming HDI Dune Pro + HD621 will be the closest we will get to a premium MCH FLAC and Blu-Ray streamer.


DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by WelwynNick
since the digital audio has to be converted to HDMI and then back again, I don't accept that there's no performance penalty.
Sorry, I should clarify that I agree that MHR from a Meridian BD player would be optimal; however, I'm working on the assumption that Meridian will never produce a BD player.

And yes, HDMI is an abomination.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Meridian can also make the argument that much of their current DSP Range offers the Upsampling, RE and Apodizing of the PCM Streams sent their way from a Meridian Processor doing the DTS / DD Decoding.......(not sure if this applies to the recent D32k's or D33k's???....anyone know??)

But that doesn't help existing users of older DSP's

As regards a Meridian Bluray player.......how many here would spend �1,500 (minimum IMHO) for a Meridian Badged Oppo based player, with an MMHR Output???

Answering that question honestly gives an idea into the "Business Case" question faced by Meridian

Without Bluray Audio discs taking off, I wonder what percentage here would be able to hear the differences with Movie Discs, between an Oppo Player and the above Meridian / Oppo / MMHR???..........and I really don't know if Bluray Audio (Music) will ever take off.......there just doesn't seem to be any demand for MC High Res Music


-
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.064s Queries: 39 (0.022s) Memory: 0.8899 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 17:03:17 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS