Originally Posted by RGraham
As Meridian often have their own, superior approaches to established codecs, would there be any advantage to ripping CDs to WAV, and let the MC200 do a Meridian FLAC conversion.
Alternatively, has anyone compared a C15 rip to a db poweramp one? I know bits are bits, but then why do we use Meridian?
dBpoweramp is transparent about logging successful/unsuccessful rips, uses checksums extensively (see http://www.accuraterip.com/), using the codec of choice (FLAC in my case).

I imported N (I don't know really how many) album rips over the weekend into my MC200. Every studio FLAC rip worked, except for 1 Smiths CD that had a corrupted FLAC file in the set. I will remedy that by buying one of many "Best of" compilations from Amazon.

I would compare rips, but I can't figure out how to export native format one album. I fooled around with it with ControlMac and gave up. The backup format is somewhat obsfuscated, similar to how the file system looks on a Apple iPod.

Sooloos makes it simple and not complicated to rip a CD, just feed it in, no questions asked. As to comparing rips, they sound the same to me. I may continue to rip with dBpa and import files into Sooloos, this workflow seems to work OK.

Know what happens when you run out of 500Gb of storage space? I suspect I do :-).

I don't believe M has any special or secret way to make WAVs sound better converting to FLAC. With two channel the magic is elsewhere, I suspect. I heard it's hiding in all the 808.3s they build in the UK :-)


Primary: 818v3+ID41, M6 stereo pair, M SpeakerLink cabling, Sonos+96kHz Cullen, silver DSW
HT: Marantz prepro, 271, DSP3300, 8K SE FL/FR pair, DSP M6x2, DSP320x4 (ceiling), black DSW, 520 RL/RR rear in-walls
Living Room: G65, 640 L/R in-walls, UHD722, MS600
Vac. Home: G61, HD621, 4xDSP3100, DSP3100HC
MDMS:NUC/ROCK+TrueNAS Core 12.0 ZFS file server