|
|
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 45
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 45 |
I am a bit of a computer geek and I love music so the challenge was up to me and a friend to find a digital solution that has some of the functionality of something like a Sooloos system but without the cost, as quite frankly I don�t earn much money and only ever buy 2nd hand.
I have tested over many months with Mac and PC and all seem to have the following traits. If you use any kind of music player through a computer like VLC, Cog, Winamp and iTunes etc. the software seems to add something (gain/colouration) to the sound and you have a computer left on all the time that�s noisy and its not really a solution is it. I have messed about with Amarra 2.1 but IMHO its not very stable and Squuezebox server is a sprawling mess and you need to leave a computer on so back to square one.
The solution that we have come up is so far is very good as what goes in then comes out without colouration unlike the above methods that I have mentioned. So far I have been using what equipment that I have kicking around the house and the results so far have been very promising. I�m currently in the testing phase and it�s been extremely stable without problems for the last 60 days with only one crash due to me adding the entire music directory to the playlist and it didn�t like that he he.
Equipment used
DSP5500 MK2 speakers
Linksys NSLU2 (this runs off 32mb of ram) - This is connected to 20GB - 1.8� hard drive in an external case with Debian operating system installed on it and MPD (music player daemon) installed. Buffalo linkstation HS500DGL with 1TB hard drive connected to the Linksys and that holds the music library and so far 500GB is being used with FLAC music � Roughly 20,000 FLAC files ripped at FLAC 8.
Trends UD 10 � connected to the Linksys and then to the DSP speakers, as coax is the bane of my life. The Trends can only handle native CD (44.1 kHz, 16-bit) format as it can�t decode 24/96 but that�s enough for now.
iPad � with MPAD (�1.79 from apple app store) running the front end but they do have an iPhone app if that�s your bag.
Also you can get other front ends from other developers that run from android devices/phones.
Cisco router � model 850 (any router would do) connecting everything together. All of the above works very very well and I�m happy with what has been created as it does not need a noisy computer. All of this runs from the Linksys and is very quiet as it has no fans even with the linkstation it's bearable. Above all the quality is very good but the system needs improvements and the next upgrades will hopefully improve many aspects.
Next phase
The Linksys will be replaced with a Thecus N2100 (these can have Debian installed on them, just Google it) with 2 x 2 TB hard drives and will be mirrored. I have the Thecus now as I bought one off eBay for �36 but can't afford the three hard drives (always have a spare) I need atm. I will be using the Samsung low power 5400-rpm disks, as these are the quietest drives that research has so far shown and at a very reasonable price also have 3-year warranty. This will mean that I can get rid of the Linksys and Linkstation also a low noise 13db - 40mm fan will be installed in the Thecus.
The Trends UD 10 will be replaced with a Musical fidelity VLink USB to SPDIF convertor � this will handle 24/96 and has asynchronous USB. This can be supported in Debian also runs on the MAC and PC. The only question I have unanswered about this product is that it's native is 24 bit and I will need to see what its like running 16 bit audio � it shouldn�t be a problem but I don�t know how it will affect the sound quailty, only when I have one can I comment more about this. Plenty of USB converters out there but I need to do some comparisons if I can get my hands on them. The mPad front end is a very good product and I don�t see the point in changing it as it works 100% with no problems but don�t ever use software volume control as it murders the sound quality. I do have further upgrades in mind like wireless and incorporating Spotify but these will be discussed in detail later when I have completed the next phase. It will be a couple of months before I can do this, as I can�t afford the upgrades atm.
Home Cinema: 861v4, 4x DSP5000, DSP5000C, SW5500. Music: 47 laboratory - Shigaraki CD Transport, Mark Levinson 335, Benchmark HDR DAC, Dynaudio C1's, REL Stadium III.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 19
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 19 |
John - fair play! I hope you're having fun with it and it sounds awesome. Have you done a back-to back dem?
All the best, Henry
MC200, MS600, Densen B-250/B-330, Focal 1028Be
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 45
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 45 |
Thanks for the comments Henry and yes I�m having a lot of fun with it. I have done comparisons with all of the media players that I mentioned in my previous post and this beats them all hands down. I would say the nearest thing to what I have made is the Bryston BDP-1 http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?&item=4716fc9ac2bc9b5920f99c010f2df04c That runs on the Linux Operating system (Debian is a form of Linux) and also runs MPD but that costs �2100 where mine cost �100 � after the next phase it will have a raided hard drive system with redundancy and it will surpass the Bryston as they don�t have that built in and a lot of other digital systems on the market. The way MPD works is amazing as it�s not a system hungry bit of software and you don�t need stacks of memory and being on Debian means its rock solid unlike windows software. I contacted the MPD development team and nearly chocked when they said 32mb of ram would handle 60,000 files� I asked what would it run like on 100,000 plus files and was told that no one has ever commented past 120,000 files as no one has a music collection bigger than that size who has reported back to them. The Thecus N2100 has the capability for me to upgrade the ram but it has 128mb in already and i may never need to change that. The beauty of this system when finished will be the low cost (roughly �300 - �400) but you get maximum quality and a lot of flexibility. I really want to develop this a lot more in the future to become wireless based system as FLAC transfer rate is roughly 100k a sec (the Thecus has a slot for wireless card) so the Thecus doesn�t have to be in the same room and use a fan less win-terminal with Debian installed (about �20 off eBay) to connect the VLink and then to the DSP speakers (or DAC, Amp) so it�s a totally silent system. It could also be used for multi room but I�m getting ahead of myself, as I need to get to the next phase first and then move on to the wireless stage before I try anything else. I have been using this basic setup for a couple of months now and it doesn�t have any pitfalls. When its finished I would love to let someone else give it a try to see what they think. I will give an update in a few months, as I just don�t have the money atm to complete it right now.
Last edited by John Hurst; 2011-04-28 08:16.
Home Cinema: 861v4, 4x DSP5000, DSP5000C, SW5500. Music: 47 laboratory - Shigaraki CD Transport, Mark Levinson 335, Benchmark HDR DAC, Dynaudio C1's, REL Stadium III.
|
|
|
|
1 members (RPellegrini),
346
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|