This surely opens another can o'worms re: whether it's better to go 808.3/ID40 direct to DSP and not via 861 for the ultimate (and gaining +3dB / resolution in the process)
Hi Nick
I have my Front Pair Cabled as part of a 7.0 Mch Setup, but I also have them Cabled separately into D2 from my 800, to allow them act as a Stereo Pair
For many Music Types I prefer to run in "Cable Direct" or Stereo mode as opposed to routing the Stream thru the 861.........that preference certainly applied with the 861v4 and while the "differences" are dramatically reduced with the 861v6, I find that I still prefer to run from the 800 to the DSP Pair, as opposed to Trifield thru the 861v6
Trifield adds certain benefits with some Music types that overrides this preference, but only with certain CD's IMHO
And from several PM's with a few other owners over the years, I know that I'm not alone in cabling Direct to the Front Pair........
So, it wouldn't surprise me to find that running "Cable Direct" from the 808.3 might outperform running thru the 861v6
On a mostly un-related note, you may recall our comments on the day in Bristol that using the Direct Soundfield from the 861v6 sounded a little better than Trifield thru the 861............even though that was most likely due to the Fireplace located directly behind the D7K2HC
On a more related note, I would again refer to my Post Bristol comments that I preferred the results of an 808.3 Spinning a CD to a "similar" Track into the ID40 inside the 861v6........and then Roland's follow-on comments that those inside Meridian still say that the 808.3 is still their Premium Sounding Device (based on their Listening Tests and Optimization etc.)
The above comments do make me wonder why Meridian choose on that day to demonstrate their System as an
808.3 ----> 861v6 / ID40 ----> 5.0 DSP's
One can begin to read something subliminal into that, until I say that it was late on the 2nd day before the lack of Apodizing / Upsampling in the 808.3 was brought to their attention...........so I'm not sure how much can be read into their choice to have the ID40 in the 861 when their own recommendation is to have it inside the 808.3