Hi "ChrisLayer",

Thanks for the welcome.

The Meridian system started out as a simple combination of a 808i.2+DSP8k, a result of an entire system exchange with a HK close friend I met on another forum when I was then deeply involved with McIntosh, Wilsons, etc, .... Having lived with the setup for a month (sometime in July/August this year), I am simply amazed by the musicality and smoothness of the system, very different from what I had before.

As physical CD/DVD/Bluray storage space becoming an issue down the road, I went for the Sooloos after a visit to the local dealer which confirmed the purchase - 1: Will help reduce the storage and space issue and 2: Ease and simplicity, but most of all the musicality! As there is an exchange program for the upgrade from the 808i.2 to an 808i.3 (to which I was informed the Sooloos WILL sound better with it than the older player because of the ID40 card - and it did), I went for it.

The Meridian system took me to another level of musical enjoyment again! Music simply flows even smoother. Never for once did I focus on the system shortfalls (which I always have before - resulting in upgrades and changes) but just simply enjoying the music. Every ripped music in the Sooloos continues to amaze as it never sounded so good before - even as in CD format, due respect to the 808i.2 in comparison. When a same disc was played via the new 808i.3, it is apparent that this is a better machine than the predecessor.

All I can say is, if the 808i.3 is the number 2 red-book CD player in the market today, there are not many that could better it. For one, I attended a comparison session between the 808i.3 and the 4 piece dCS Scarletti combo and I can detect no difference! Even if it does had any (given the due respect for its pricing), its so minute, its not discern enough to be heard. The owner of the dCS bought the 808i.3 immediately mumbling that he would have save a bundle instead. Of course, he is rich enough to keep both machines in the end.

Muscality does not apply to just the Sooloos and CD's. Radio listening thru the vintage 504 is as pleasurable. While it is not top notch, the end result is good enough for me to sell off my new Accuphase T1000 tuner, even though the later had better overall "resolution".

Movies in Stereo is just as great! The overall impression can best be sum up as - "I have finally found my HiFi nirvana". The Turntable combo just makes the statement ever so sweeter, although play time on it is minimal as there is so much I do with the Sooloos, I could end up neglecting even the 808i.3 as a player itself!

The Meridian experience is so good that if space is not a concern, I would go for a full blown 7 channel (six DSP8k & one 7.2k C with a 861v6 processor). But that is a dream I had to continue with as reality is this move will involve a purchase of a bigger home which I am reluctant to do in consideration for my retirement plans.

If you could teach me how to upload some pictures, I would be most glad to share the view of my system - as I do not know how to do so.

Cheers!


Meridian 504FM, 808.3, 800v4 DAX, DSP8kSL, Sooloos C15 + Twinstores (3TB x 2).
Dr. Feickert Twin DFA Turntable, TriPlanar MkVII Tonearm,
Miyajima Shilabe Cartridge, Lehmann BC Decade Phono Stage.
Oppo BDP83se NuForce Edition. AKG K701 Headphones.
Shunyata Hydra Talos & Venom 3