Originally Posted by Axle
Thanks Carl. If you have an HD621 then shouldn't upsampling and jitter attenuation be taken care of just as soon and just as good as the 861v6?

Hi,

It is not so much a problem with the HD621, it is the fact that it is a HDMI source, with is inherently more jittery than SPDIF sources; and no matter how good the HD621 is, it is always better to start with the best source possible and minimise conversion.

I have compared, 800D direct to 861v4 and 800D via HD621 to 861v4; the direct path, for me, wins every time. Why (I suspect, as I have no means of measuring it) is because the coax output from the 800D has lower jitter than that of its HDMI output (even after being cleaned up by the HD621).

To be honest, forget all the data sheets and tech specs and go listen; this is the only way for to decide what is good for you and your ears.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)