logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#127052 2010-10-08 08:18
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 218
Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 218
Likes: 2
Ok. Its seems common consensus that you get the best sound from a Sooloos system using an ID40 in your 808/861. Equally if you want the best user experience you want to use a Control:10/15 for the touchscreen interface. Assuming a typical setup this means that both components are in your listening room.

However if you do that it effectively means you've got 2 Sooloos zones in the same room - 1 of which doesn't get used (the one in the C15). Now I know you could use the digital outputs of the C15 to feed another room (providing you can get the cables there...) but how many people do that?

IMHO if you've got an ID40 you almost need a C15Lite - i.e. the interface without any of the zone/output functionality to get the best of both - or is that where an iPad ought to come in...

I'm curious how people with this setup (Carl?) actually have their systems setup.


Meridian Owner since 1991
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513
Likes: 1
I have a C10 and an 808.3 in one dedicated room. I obviously use the ID40 as the source. The audio output on the C10 is unused. In my family room, I have a C10 which feeds an 861v4 with a SPDIF signal. The store for both units is a TwinStore.

Then I have a separate Sooloos system at a cottage that includes a C10 and an Ensemble. The Ensemble feeds a G68 and the audio output on the C10 goes unused.

It all works great for me and it doesn't bother me that I "paid" for functionality in two of my C10s that I don't use. Who knows, I may need it someday if I move things around.


Regards,
Bill

Theater: 861v8+ID41, 218, (2) DSP8KSEs, DSP7200VCSE, (2) DSP5200s, Marantz UD9004, (2) JL Audio F113s, Roon
Whole House: 218s, DSP520s, DSP 320s, Roon
Office: 218, DSP3200s, Roon
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi GP,

I have my C15 and 861v6+ID40 in the same room but not in the same location. The 861 is in a rack with all my other kit and the C15 is on a small table (not much larger than the C15 footprint) just to the left hand side of a two seater sofa. I have arranged the cabling on the C15 so that I can slide the table closer to the prime listing seat (right hand side of the sofa) as and when I choose to.

The SpeakerLink/Coax output of the C15 is not in use; like Bill, I'm not concerned about this. I have pondered about using the C15 output as second zone out to the kitchen for casual background music.

I think that in practise it would cost more for Meridian to make a C15 "Lite" due to shorter batch runs, different builds etc. than to build all the C15 to the same spec.

Personally, I prefer three tier architecture, namely:

-- Storage(s)
-- Control(s)
-- Source(s)

However, I see where Meridian are coming from with the C15 one unit that combines all 3 tiers but, and it's an important but, can be expanded to the above to suit ones requirements

Regards,
Carl



861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 218
Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 218
Likes: 2
Carl, Bill

Thanks for your insight. I've been pondering whether to dip my toes in the soolos waters with a c15 (due to it being fully integrated) or to pick up one of the several c10/TwinStore combos that have started to become available (possibly in conjunction with an ID40).
The beauty of the c15 is it's improved audio output but with an ID40 it's seems irrelevant an an ex-demo c10 sounds like it might be a good way to go.

Thanks again

GP


Meridian Owner since 1991
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Gparrington
Ok. Its seems common consensus that you get the best sound from a Sooloos system using an ID40 in your 808/861. Equally if you want the best user experience you want to use a Control:10/15 for the touchscreen interface. Assuming a typical setup this means that both components are in your listening room.

However if you do that it effectively means you've got 2 Sooloos zones in the same room - 1 of which doesn't get used (the one in the C15). Now I know you could use the digital outputs of the C15 to feed another room (providing you can get the cables there...) but how many people do that?

IMHO if you've got an ID40 you almost need a C15Lite - i.e. the interface without any of the zone/output functionality to get the best of both - or is that where an iPad ought to come in...

I'm curious how people with this setup (Carl?) actually have their systems setup.
I haven't taken the leap yet but I am mulling Sooloos over as a possible option both for sound quality and for convenience reasons.

I haven't done it yet, but I am thinking of an Ensemble in my office, analogue outputs direct to Stax headphones, SPDIF piped into the sitting room next door, into my main system. In theory it's a good value-for-money (=WAF) option.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Gparrington
Carl, Bill

Thanks for your insight. I've been pondering whether to dip my toes in the soolos waters with a c15 (due to it being fully integrated) or to pick up one of the several c10/TwinStore combos that have started to become available (possibly in conjunction with an ID40).
The beauty of the c15 is it's improved audio output but with an ID40 it's seems irrelevant an an ex-demo c10 sounds like it might be a good way to go.

Thanks again

GP

If you have an 808.3 or an 861v6 w/ID40, the improved audio output of the C15 does become irrelavent IMHO. A used C10/TwinStore combo offers a better storage system with more room at a lower price.


Regards,
Bill

Theater: 861v8+ID41, 218, (2) DSP8KSEs, DSP7200VCSE, (2) DSP5200s, Marantz UD9004, (2) JL Audio F113s, Roon
Whole House: 218s, DSP520s, DSP 320s, Roon
Office: 218, DSP3200s, Roon
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by Dollar2
If you have an 808.3 or an 861v6 w/ID40, the improved audio output of the C15 does become irrelavent IMHO. A used C10/Twinstore combo offers a better storage system with more room at a lower price.

A some what obvious statement Bill, but yes it is true.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Carl
Beyond the Audio Card differences you mentioned yesterday, have you noticed any other differences between the Control:10 and 15???

e.g. Any differences in the Screen "Touch" Interface?? I don't mean the GUI, I mean do you still have to press harder than you do for example on an iPhone screen?? (Using technical terms, I assume the Control screen is still Resistive rather than the newer Capactive??)


-
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi Ronnie,

The touch screen has not changed it is still a resistive type; it has a slight drag to it when sliding a finger over it, it's a shame Meridian have not upgraded it to the latter technology. However, in practise it's not a problem and is very usable.

C15 = C10 + internal audio storage + new audio card.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Thanks Carl


-
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Carl
A some what obvious statement Bill, but yes it is true.

Regards,
Carl

I'm just trying to get my post count up smile

I have to try and get a C15 on loan to try it out against the 808.3.


Regards,
Bill

Theater: 861v8+ID41, 218, (2) DSP8KSEs, DSP7200VCSE, (2) DSP5200s, Marantz UD9004, (2) JL Audio F113s, Roon
Whole House: 218s, DSP520s, DSP 320s, Roon
Office: 218, DSP3200s, Roon

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Syles), 351 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,189
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.053s Queries: 37 (0.025s) Memory: 0.8780 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 17:16:52 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS