logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 138
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 138
T42

Can you not make a dongle type of solution that will start with COMMS(DIN & COAX) and AUDIO on one end and will end with RJ45(female) on the other? Will this not simply emulate the M solution (of course less RS232)? Idea here is to make a simple solution that will be a sub for the current AC12.

Additionally as already mentioned, give us an option to put one conversion kit per speaker.

I do not know how the Master/Slave works in this setup. Someone else will have to provide input. Sorry I am not an engineer or tech savey like the others on the forum.

I have an older line of speakers - DIN based speakers and I am sure there are quite a few of us on the forum. I see no reason to upgrade my speakers simply for SL connectivity. I have 6000s in the front and will be looking at replacing my rears and center over the next several months, but not the mains.

Thanks for looking into this!


861v6, HD621, DSP6000s, DSP5k5HC, DSP5000s, Planar 470, Sonos, BD 50, Dune 3.0, NAS, htpc
Jaco #127411 2010-10-12 20:19
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25
t42
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25
Apologies for the delayed reply, I've been away on business.

Originally Posted by Jaco
The best option (for me) would be a cable to every speaker from the preamp.
That makes sense for my background as Computer Network specialist. Bus = shared, star = dedicated.
That's a perfectly logical argument, however SPDIF doesn't work in the same way as computer networks. SPDIF always carries two channels of audio (Left+Right, Centre+Sub etc.), so it is, by definition, a shared connection. It's not impossible to transmit the same SPDIF signal down two cables though (see later in my reply).

Originally Posted by CoachJay
So what do Hikers think their risk/reward thresholds for 3rd party vs. OEM on an AC-12 solution would have to be ? At what price do you feel it starts to makes sense or is there no price that would have you consider a 3rd party alternative?
This is an interesting question and one that I'm also curious to know the answer to.

Originally Posted by CoachJay
I'm at the juncture of having to make a decision/purchase to convert my legacy speakers over from my v4 to v6 so I will most likely miss out on any alternative. as others here have said, and I concur having to account for the " extra" cost, complexity & implementation is " a drag" and new additions to my collection of external "crutches" enhancements ( AC12, 621, 519 )!
I agree that the adapter boxes required during this transitory phase add to the cost of upgrading, however the SpeakerLink/Cat5 solution makes a lot of sense in the long run and I hope that M is now committed to using it for the foreseeable future.

Originally Posted by Audiophile20
Can you not make a dongle type of solution that will start with COMMS(DIN & COAX) and AUDIO on one end and will end with RJ45(female) on the other? Will this not simply emulate the M solution (of course less RS232)? Idea here is to make a simple solution that will be a sub for the current AC12.
A dongle or simple converter box is what I had in mind. I'm in the process of ordering parts to build a prototype unit and would be very grateful if a few members could try it out in their systems once I've finished it.

Originally Posted by Audiophile20
Additionally as already mentioned, give us an option to put one conversion kit per speaker.
This is a little harder and would probably require a powered unit to transmit each SPDIF signal (and comms) effectively down pairs of Cat5 cable. Just like the AC11 does in fact.
So, is there in fact demand for an AC11 alternative as well?! This is a very different design challenge, but one that I will look into if there is enough interest. Given that it would be a powered solution, a single box that handles up to 8 channels of digital audio (4 SPDIF pairs) would make more sense than several powered boxes, each handling only a pair of channels?

Originally Posted by Audiophile20
I do not know how the Master/Slave works in this setup. Someone else will have to provide input. Sorry I am not an engineer or tech savey like the others on the forum.
This is something I also need to look into a little further. Going back to the AC12 equivalent (without the star topology ability)... If the comms connection is a BNC connector it would be easy to include a switch on the unit to select Master or Slave comms, and use a BNC to DIN adapter cable with the appropriate DIN connector for the type of comms required. I know this isn't the most elegant solution for those with DIN comms, but it is probably going to be the most cost effective solution.

Last edited by t42; 2010-10-12 20:22.
t42 #127415 2010-10-12 21:08
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi t42,

Don't forget to allow for a system where the Master DSP is also the controller.
This means you need both comms in and comms out from the DSP; it is not an either or situation.

Star wiring; Meridian processors with SpeakerLink outputs have 4 RJ45 pairs (8 RJ45 ports) so you don't have to worry about 1 source driving two Cat5s it is already done in the processor.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Originally Posted by CoachJay
So what do Hikers think their risk/reward thresholds for 3rd party vs. OEM on an AC-12 solution would have to be ? At what price do you feel it starts to makes sense or is there no price that would have you consider a 3rd party alternative?

150 euro per channel.


Sold all M equipment
Jaco #127603 2010-10-14 20:48
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25
t42
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by Carl
Don't forget to allow for a system where the Master DSP is also the controller.
This means you need both comms in and comms out from the DSP; it is not an either or situation.
Thanks, I knew that there was some setup where both Master and Slave comms were required, I just couldn't recall what it was. Although I guess a star network using an AC11 or SL processor would get round this?

Originally Posted by Carl
Star wiring; Meridian processors with SpeakerLink outputs have 4 RJ45 pairs (8 RJ45 ports) so you don't have to worry about 1 source driving two Cat5s it is already done in the processor.
That's what I was trying to get across with the AC11 example above, assuming that a non-SL processor was being used. But you're right, the same would apply to a SL processor. There are so many permutations to consider!

Originally Posted by Jaco
Originally Posted by CoachJay
So what do Hikers think their risk/reward thresholds for 3rd party vs. OEM on an AC-12 solution would have to be ? At what price do you feel it starts to makes sense or is there no price that would have you consider a 3rd party alternative?

150 euro per channel.
Useful to know, thanks for sharing.

t42 #127622 2010-10-15 05:54
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Off course it would need to work like a AC-12 for 2 channels for that 150 Euro..
I peronally find 150 for a unit the limit, as i would like to bring RJ-45 to each speaker position.


Sold all M equipment
Carl #127726 2010-10-16 15:16
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 147
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 147
Originally Posted by Carl
Originally Posted by dr.bill
t42: I believe we discussed this solution last year. If you could devise converters to go from non-SL center and then out to SL left/right speakers with zero performance loss then I'm in.

And we discussed this last year..........over many many posts.

I told you that this is not possible because SpeakerLink has only 2 channels and, in this case, these two channels are for the Center and Sub. There is no other audio on this cable to split out to the Front / Left speakers. The Front / Left speakers must be fed from the Front Left/Right output from the processor.

SPDIF ....... = 2 channel
SpeakerLink = 2 channel
MMHR ...... = 8 channel (only available HD621 to 861v6)

Regards,
Carl

Carl sorry it took so long........yes I'll need an SL processor and Center to achieve what I really want.........thanks again for helping me understand -- I was fixated on daisy chaining off the Center because that's how the COMMS were set up and NOT the actual data........

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi,

Glad I could help; it was my pleasure and what the forum is all about.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
t42 #130098 2010-11-24 14:50
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25
t42
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25
Hi all,

Apologies for not updating this recently, I've had some personal issues that I've had to work through. Please be assured that I still intend to complete a prototype soon and will need a few people willing to be beta testers.

If anyone with existing SpeakerLink and non-SL kit would like to volunteer then please PM me as I would like to test on a cross-range of kit in real-world set-ups and environments (and I can't afford one of every SL product myself!). If I produce a saleable product then I will ensure that the selected beta testers will receive a worthwhile discount should they ultimately decide to purchase any.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (rjek), 240 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,177
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.171s Queries: 34 (0.139s) Memory: 0.8754 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-06 22:19:58 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS