logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 147
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 147
Originally Posted by JerryL
Will the new Dune have a better UI?

Dune is tweaking the UI. But as it stands now it is practical and functional so there is really no need for better UI.

I will be upgrading to the newest Dune sigma (unlike my "modular" G68 wink )

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Thanks Bill. But is the real claim to fame of the new Dune simply better scaling? I have a radiance XE so Im happy with the scaling.


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Why scale, every source should output native framerate (or at least select that). Even HDI did not understand that in the beginning. It is a pain in the neck to go into a setup menu to change output frame rate.
I too have a radiance an rather use that to covert framerates and resolutions than the sigma chipset defaults..


Sold all M equipment
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Scaling is changing the resolution of the input to match the display, not the framerate, which I agree should always output natively so it doesn't look like a flicker book.



No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by MrMarbach
Originally Posted by dpstjp
You should chat to Henry at CRTProjectors. He'll see you right without the need to ship stuff back from the US.

Thanks, but �535 ($845 according to the first online converter I found), compared to $499 if I carry it over on the plane myself? I'd rather save $346 but have an extra bundle to carry...

YMMV

I bought mine from crt and will probably do so again when the time comes . One reason for the price premium is that Henry's Oppos are DVD and BD Region Free whereas off-the-shelf units are locked to their own ( usually R1 - R-A )

He also offers excellent ( non-M-like) customer service ; I've often had replies to e-mails within 30 minutes !

~M~


Mostly harmless. Comfortably numb.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Originally Posted by gIzzE
Scaling is changing the resolution of the input to match the display, not the framerate, which I agree should always output natively so it doesn't look like a flicker book.
Well i do not mind that 1080i blu rays are changed to 1080p for viewing..

I will never forget the HD-DVD players which prefered 1080p60 output over native 1080p23,976 if the display offers 1080p60 input. No native output if something else is offered via EDID handshake (or whatever it is called)
Lucky i have a Radiance scaler to offer a device a custom EDID table to force it to the correct framerate.

Last edited by Jaco; 2010-09-29 14:55.

Sold all M equipment
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Originally Posted by Jaco
Originally Posted by gIzzE
Scaling is changing the resolution of the input to match the display, not the framerate, which I agree should always output natively so it doesn't look like a flicker book.
Well i do not mind that 1080i blu rays are changed to 1080p for viewing..

Everything you send to a digital display will be scaled, either in the player or in the display itself.

All panels/DLPs/LCDs/DiLAs etc. will also be progressive, so they may deinterlace as well.

Most displays deinterlace and scale average at best, hence why people like to use a decent off board scaler, use one and stick your display in native mode (ie overscan off, 1:1 pixel map or whatever your manufacturer calls it) and bypass the displays processing and you can get truly stunning results.

Decent SD can look HD and well processed HD can look incredible.

This is the reason everyon raves about the Oppo, its scaling and deinterlacing are fantastic, as good as �3000 video processors for �500.
Just make sure your display is in native res mode so all its poor processing is bypassed.



No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
I never saw my Oppo play so i cannot comment on the scaling. But i will only playback Blu Rays and most of them are 1080p23,976 anyway.

I agree that the display should not do too much. Only make sure the colors are coming are displayed correctly (which no display seems to do coming from the factory)

Is the chip in the new Oppo not the same one Meridian is using ?


Sold all M equipment
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
I agree guys- thats why Im asking about what is the real advantage to the new Dune- if its not a better UI then what is it because the unit right now is terrific- and I output native to my radiance XE which does what it needs to do.


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Like the dual HDMI output on the new Oppo. I assume one or both with be 1.4 spec?

Cliff


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 156
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by Cliff.
Like the dual HDMI output on the new Oppo. I assume one or both with be 1.4 spec?

Cliff

If the new Oppo player supports 3D Bluray then it will have to be HDMI 1.4 spec .
HDMI 1.3 only has enough bandwidth for 2 x 1080i video feeds, so in theory can support 3D, but only at 1080i, not 1080P.
For TV, most cable boxes are 1080i, so it would output 2 x 540i. So for TV, u can have HD or 3D , not both, with HDMI 1.3 .
see: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s.../HDMI_1.3_Will_Support_3D_After_All/4002,


861v4 LPSU, HD621, Sony HW40, PMC AML2, PMC IB2SA Centre - Triamped via Wyred4Sound MMC, PMC Wafer2 surr, PMC SB100 Sub & Wyred4Sound SX-1000, Dune HD MAX. Oppo BDP-105D Signature. Mede8ER 600X3D
Marantz CD94/CDA94. Rotel RB-1562, LG 65" OLED. IPL Acoustics STL5. Virgin Tivo. HifiMan HE-1000/Audio-GD M9. Stax SR-007/KGSSHV Carbon‏.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 959
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 959
A few things...

1. The Oppo BDP-93 supports blu-ray and has dual outputs...see http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-DVD-players-hd-DVD-blu-ray/oppo-bdp-93


2. The HDI Dune Pro [or the its successor, is there one] confuses me as I do not know what it would offer me over and above the Oppo BDP-93; that is:

a) The BDP-93 providers me with a universal spinner (i.e. Blu-ray, CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, etc.).

b) The BDP-93 provides me with Netflic Streaming.

c) The BDP-93's scaling capabilities I could care less about as I have both a Lumagen RadianceXE and a Runc DHD 4.

d) The SONOS music system with NAS provides audio throughout my entire house.

e) While I might not be the norma -- at least around here -- I do not find myself needing a method / source to connect a HD or other network device to(i.e. PC, NAS, etc.) to view material in my home theatre...granted, were I desirous of this the Dune would be worth considering..

With the above noted can someone please tell me what I am missing becuase, assuming I am missing nothing, the possible benefit is as noted in e) above...


3. What is the HDI Dune Pro's interface like...is it easy to navigate...is it fast...is it slick looking...etc.

TIA...


Audio: Triad Monitor Golds, Surround Golds, Silver Subwoofers; Procella P-18 Subwoofer; QSC DCA 16622s, 1644, 3422, BASIS 922uz; ADA MACH IV B
Other: APC S-15s; Crestron
Sources and Video: Ran out of characters .....................
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jocke, rjek, swpnt, TSCA, OldDogCan), 259 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,166
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 39 (0.026s) Memory: 0.8924 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 14:57:35 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS