|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
I was planning to buy an 83 during my next trip to the states (October-November) so I guess I'll have to see if the 93 comes out in time for my trip...
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1 |
Nic,
You should chat to Henry at CRTProjectors. He'll see you right without the need to ship stuff back from the US.
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1 |
This may be positioned to give the Dune MEDIA player some competition. Interesting. Not sure about that. The Dune has much better media streaming functionality than the Oppo 83, and I can't see the 93 adding ISOs etc. I'm tempted to swap out my 83 for a HD SMART D1 and do away with having a spinner attached to my system.
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 147
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 147 |
This may be positioned to give the Dune MEDIA player some competition. Interesting. Not sure about that. The Dune has much better media streaming functionality than the OPPO 83, and I can't see the 93 adding ISOs etc. I'm tempted to swap out my 83 for a HD SMART D1 and do away with having a spinner attached to my system. WAIT! The newest Dune player w/ newest SIGMA chipset will be out shortly. I completely understand the need to do away with a spinner.....but the said Dune player will have a new and improved spinner so if you want the best you'll have to make do with this vestigial element 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307 |
M owners should not care for higher quality analogue output i guess. I still have a new BDP-83 (never used) and now a new one comes along  I'll see you your one unused Oppo BDP-83 and raise you two, unopened in their two pack shipping carton!  I bought a whole bunch of new gear over the course of this Spring and Summer and have yet to have a chance to install it all in it's respective systems. I bought one in an action that was cheaper then new price for my job as blu-ray tester for a magazine. But since my HT room is not ready so i cannot test it, so it is still in its box..
Sold all M equipment
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1 |
WAIT! The newest Dune player w/ newest SIGMA chipset will be out shortly. I completely understand the need to do away with a spinner.....but the said Dune player will have a new and improved spinner so if you want the best you'll have to make do with this vestigial element  I like the form factor/scalabilty for the Smart. The D1 does not have a spinner. I can add this later by purchasing a "spinner module". Agreed on the chipset. Dune have said they will do a "Meridian" and have a trade-in programme so first movers on the Smart can pay to swap to the new chipset. If the cost is too high I can find plenty of places for the old one to reside and just buy a new one instead.
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 156
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 156 |
I used to have the Oppo BDP-83, and the popcorn media player. But sold them both to get the Dune prime 3, which combines the functions of both, i.e a disc spinner and a network media player with Bluray HD audio decoding. I feed the Dune into the HD621, then into the 861, and it sounds excellent for movies and music, and will play 24/96 FLAC audio no problem.
Now considering getting the Dune tweaked by Audiocom International. A better clock and power supply improvements should raise sound quality even further. I cant see point in getting the new Dune top of range model, with high end analogue stage, as i only use the HDMI output. I think disc spinners are going to become obsolete over the next few years. Music and video on hard drive is so much more convenient.
861v4 LPSU, HD621, Sony HW40, PMC AML2, PMC IB2SA Centre - Triamped via Wyred4Sound MMC, PMC Wafer2 surr, PMC SB100 Sub & Wyred4Sound SX-1000, Dune HD MAX. Oppo BDP-105D Signature. Mede8ER 600X3D Marantz CD94/CDA94. Rotel RB-1562, LG 65" OLED. IPL Acoustics STL5. Virgin Tivo. HifiMan HE-1000/Audio-GD M9. Stax SR-007/KGSSHV Carbon.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 156
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 156 |
This may be positioned to give the Dune MEDIA player some competition. Interesting. I agree with you. The Oppo has very limited support for network media streaming. Thats why i sold my Oppo and got a Dune.
861v4 LPSU, HD621, Sony HW40, PMC AML2, PMC IB2SA Centre - Triamped via Wyred4Sound MMC, PMC Wafer2 surr, PMC SB100 Sub & Wyred4Sound SX-1000, Dune HD MAX. Oppo BDP-105D Signature. Mede8ER 600X3D Marantz CD94/CDA94. Rotel RB-1562, LG 65" OLED. IPL Acoustics STL5. Virgin Tivo. HifiMan HE-1000/Audio-GD M9. Stax SR-007/KGSSHV Carbon.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 959
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 959 |
I too have a NIB CDP-83 that has never been used...I however will be moving to the BDP-93 because i) I live in Canada and ii) I want the netflix streaming capability, this is the key an donly reason for the move...
Audio: Triad Monitor Golds, Surround Golds, Silver Subwoofers; Procella P-18 Subwoofer; QSC DCA 16622s, 1644, 3422, BASIS 922uz; ADA MACH IV B Other: APC S-15s; Crestron Sources and Video: Ran out of characters .....................
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
Will the new Dune have a better UI?
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
You should chat to Henry at CRTProjectors. He'll see you right without the need to ship stuff back from the US. Thanks, but �535 ($845 according to the first online converter I found), compared to $499 if I carry it over on the plane myself? I'd rather save $346 but have an extra bundle to carry... YMMV
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467 Likes: 1 |
There is also a reference player coming too, at around �1500, that will be interesting. According to Oppo, sometime after the BDP-93 has been in the market for a while there will be a BDP-95 'hi-end' player that will apparently be designed from scratch (as opposed to the 83SE). I have not seen any reference to price yet, other than some chap on AVS who was joking about $2,799. I'd be shocked if it was that high - I would expect something in the $1,200 - $1,500 range. Time'll tell. I'd been toying with buying a BDP-80 for my secondary family room system (to replace a very long-in-the-tooth Sony BDP1), but now I think I will wait to see what the BDP-95 has to offer. Incidentally, I much prefer the styling of the 93 versus the 83.
Last edited by Simon; 2010-09-29 00:19.
My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
|
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,166
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|