logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 … 7 8 9 10 11
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Cat 5 has not one advantage as far as install is concerned as far as I can see, there is the argument for balanced digital, which may or may not help? But I didn't find plugging a din and a phono in when I set up my speakers particularly stressful, extremely time consuming and I certainly didn't think 'if only this was on a single plug I would have been so much happier." wink

Problem for me is I have less and less need for a processor these days as I am now ripping cds and sticking them away, every thing is via a server, so at last the Meridian DSP speaker with digital inputs is all I need for a stereo system, but without an coaxial in it gets messy.

Airport express - DSP speaker. Job done at a just a bout doable price for the office/kitchen/bedroom.

Airport express - controller - DSP speaker. Too expensive for the office/kitchen/bedroom.
Not for many I am sure, but although I earn good money I never seem to have any left at the end of the month, certainly not enough to waste it on unnecessary pieces just to get it up and running.


No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
My understanding is that SpeakerLink/Cat5 was developed primarily for the custom install market where folk Cat5 their entire houses.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11

To encourage Meridian on some new ideas!

SpeakerLink output is a wery nice development.
It is also very proprietary, I don't want to replace my speakers and poweramps.
Why don't M make something like this?

[Linked Image from img839.imageshack.us]

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by brm200
To encourage Meridian on some new ideas!

SpeakerLink output is a wery nice development.
It is also very proprietary, I don't want to replace my speakers and poweramps.

You don't have to Meridian are still supporting balanced analogue outputs.


Originally Posted by brm200
Why don't M make something like this?

SpeakerLink is 2 channel, so you would need 8 SpeakerLink inputs.

However, what is the target market for this proposed G45, would one not just use a G68 which has both digital and balanced analogue outputs?

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
I agree that would be perfect, the best analogue out that can be converted to single ended for around �50 and digital out for using with their DSP speakers.
Would like to see some inputs though! wink

4 optical
4 coax
1 MHR
and wireless that is airplay compatible.


No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 425
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by David Haworth
Can anyone think of good reasons why SPDIF is not persona non grata at Meridian? I mean it doesn't have any licensing costs any more does it? it's not gone down in audio quality. I mean the whole deal with master and slave comms cables makes it a little more complex to use than CAT5, but a number of people seem to have managed it.

has the legacy community offended M in some way?

I don't understand and like others, it makes me nervous about the path I've chosen.

Because:
1. Change has to start somewhere (saying goodbye to past solutions)
2. They very much would like you to switch to a full Speakerlink solution.

They also know that the AC12 is a not so perfect/highly priced solution (especially when you need 4). But that is the whole idea! Because you don't want those boxes behind your speakers, so you start thinking: mmmmm, maybe I should upgrade to Speakerlink and avoid all this mess altogether. Great marketing :-)


Last edited by Robbo; 2010-09-26 13:03.

G68J, HD621, ...
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 326
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 326
Robbo:

Change is fine if it gets you somewhere, if it moves you on and improves things. speakerlink seems an improvement in convenience, but what's the reasoning behind removing coax? it's not doing any harm, it's still great quality (as good as speakerlink?) and it opens up the market. if they're removing coax then hell, why not remove analogue phono inputs too? surely they are even more legacy and "not Meridian"?

you see, I really don't want to think that these changes are just to make me spend more money with Meridian, because if that's the case I'm likely to go elsewhere on principle!

dave

PS. question is, would M care?

Last edited by David Haworth; 2010-09-26 13:28.

Lounge: LG 55B6v, Some Denon receiver, Anthony Gallo Reference AV mains, Totem Dreamcatcher centre, SVS PC-4000, AppleTV4K
Office: Audioquest Dragonfly, Cyrus 6DAC, Monitor Audio CPW Gold
Headphones: NuForce HDP, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD6XX, B&O H6mk2
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 425
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 425
from http://blog.hometheatermag.com/cedia2010

Quote
Meridian plans to address itself in a more targeted fashion to affluent consumers who are not necessarily techies, we learned after arriving early to a press party at the Georgia Aquarium and wandering into a dealer meeting. The company, famed for its bleeding-edge DSP-driven active loudspeakers also plans to discontinue any products (such as passive speakers and amps) that don't bear the "Meridian DNA." That would be roughly half its line. New products to be officially announced in January include the DSP3200 flexible-mount compact digital active loudspeaker and the Audio Core 200, a stereo audio controller/hub that brings together myriad audio sources, connecting them via SpeakerLink to any of Meridian`s DSP speakers.


G68J, HD621, ...
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 560
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 560
Quote
so you start thinking

Quote
not necessarily techies

Alot of oil for a lot of fire......






Cheers, Andreas
My Meridian history 565/519 (1996), 861 (2000), to G68ADV, to 561 today, tri-axial cardioid studio monitors, self build acoustic measures, ceiling sails, corner bass traps, trial Helmholtz resonator, REW, Apple (TV, Mac, IPAD), SBT, Calman
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Originally Posted by Ronnie
Perhaps trying to understand the long background to the reasons behind the mostly negative posts here might be more productive than trying to take on each poster, one at a time smile

I understand the long background. I have been a Meridian owner for 15 years. Nearly every piece of 500 series kit crossed my threshold at one time or another. My current system is all legacy so I am in the same boat as many others.

I am not trying to "take on" every poster one at at time, just trying to offer an objective viewpoint. I'll bow out of the discussion now.


561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Here's a question: Is M going to remove SPDIF from the 5200s, 7200s and 8ks?


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
Here's a question: Is M going to remove SPDIF from the 5200s, 7200s and 8ks?

I pondered on that too. I believe it is the next "logical" progression for M, whether users like it or not.

The question is of timing: would they just remove the coax support on current models and bump up the sub-version a notch e.g. 5200.3 or wait till the introduction of the next significant update 5300, 7300, 8200 etc.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Page 9 of 11 1 2 … 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 252 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,170
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.067s Queries: 40 (0.028s) Memory: 0.8960 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-06 02:00:51 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS