|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
Frank It has to be said that if Meridian add $x to a $6,000 Speaker, and add a Display and SPDIF, then
a) They still appeal to the "New Customer" that you describe
b) A whole other market i.e. the Existing Customer base now opens up as well
When the extra cost is absolutely minimal, why essentially close yourself off to that market?? Or to be precise, make them spend an extra $2,500 to plug into the D3200's
Also worth remembering that as we speak in 2010, the number of Legacy Customers with SPDIF & Comms Output only devices still far outweigh those with Speakerlink output devices
-
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 866 Likes: 2
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 866 Likes: 2 |
1. Have you compared SpeakerLink to non-SpeakerLink Meridian speakers side-by-side in arriving at your conclusion that there is "close to zero increase in audio quality", or is your conclusion theoretical?
2. Installing the new 861v6 and the new G68 with SpeakerLink DSP speakers is vastly simpler than the old SPDIF/COMMs system.
3. Last time I checked, all the processors with the exception of the new AC200 have analog outputs so you can use them with analog amplifiers and passive speakers, so saying there is "no compatibility with the rest of the world" is silly.
4. What Meridian products do you use in your system? 1. It is based on experience with other AES/EBU vs. SPDIF. You could seriously improve audio quality when using I2S instead, although I am not sure if that is suitable to use on long distances. 2. I disagree. Connecting a standard cable is just as simple, but leaves the option to use it otherwise and with different components as you please. 3. I was talking about speakerlink, not about the AC200. Which other manufacturer besides Meridian is using speakerlink? 4. DSP7K, 5200HC, SW5500, DSP33 and G68J, all non-speakerlink.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814 Likes: 87 |
Hi Frank, 4. What Meridian products do you use in your system? You are making some challenges (which is usually a healthy thing to do, especially here on HH) to a mostly surprised audience w.r.t. the features of these new items. Doing so by getting personal about whether someone does or doesn't have any M items in their signature is a bit cheap in my opinion. Defend M by all means (and we all do) but you'll have to have a go at every other poster in this thread too who is surprised at the spec of these new DSP's. We all want M to be successful. Cheers
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
4. DSP7K, 5200HC, SW5500, DSP33 and G68J, all non-SpeakerLink. Hi there, as you've gone public with you system details, why not put them in your signature box.
I wish more on the forum would do this as it can really help to avoid misunderstanding esp. when folk are asking for help.
Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814 Likes: 87 |
Hi Carl
I disagree. Put your kit in your signature is optional. Some folks are more comfortable not showing it every post.
Sure - it helps solve issues quicker if people don't post it as part of their query. But, as per the above, I didn't like the use (or lack) of kit in the signature to qualify an opinion.
cheers
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
Hi Nick,
I'm not sure how you can disagree with what I said.
1) I made a suggestion to Evdberg, not a demand for him to do it; doing so is optional and down to ones individual preference.
2) I expressed my opinion on the benefits of having ones kit listed.
3) I made no reference to Frank's post; however I do agree with your sentiment on this.
Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814 Likes: 87 |
Hi Carl, I know you didn't demand it but you had used red text to give it a little extra emphasis. You could say I saw red Maybe instead of leading with "I disagree" I should have chosen other words. Anyway, I agreed with 2) Glad we agree on 3) cheers Nick
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534 |
When the extra cost is absolutely minimal, why essentially close yourself off to that market?? Or to be precise, make them spend an extra $2,500 to plug into the D3200s To plug DSP3200s into a legacy system, you need an AC11. In 2009, it retailed for $995. I'm not sure of the current retail price, but I don't think it is $2500. And it will handle up to eight SpeakerLink speakers, should you add more SpeakerLink speakers later. Dave Weinhart has a used one on his site for $549. It might be a good investment if you are thinking of adding SpeakerLink speakers to your system in the future.
561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534 |
Hi Frank, 4. What Meridian products do you use in your system? You are making some challenges (which is usually a healthy thing to do, especially here on HH) to a mostly surprised audience w.r.t. the features of these new items. Doing so by getting personal about whether someone does or doesn't have any M items in their signature is a bit cheap in my opinion. Defend M by all means (and we all do) but you'll have to have a go at every other poster in this thread too who is surprised at the spec of these new DSP's. We all want M to be successful. Cheers It was a question not a challenge. Knowing he has an extensive legacy system puts his disappointment that the DSP3200s do not have SPDIF and COMMS in better perspective. It also make offering advice easier. Given his rather significant investment in legacy Meridian components, adding an AC11 at the time he buys his first pair of SpeakerLink speakers would be relatively inexpensive and give him the ability to replace his existing legacy speakers with SpeakerLink speakers in the future without additional cost.
561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307 |
With the Speakerlink SPDIF debate, I think the only mistake Meridian have made is the Cost of the AC12's to allow legacy users access.
Bring the price down to �100.00 and the world changes. Will Meridian do this? I dont know. Can dealers sell new DSP's with AC12's at a "Special" Price for legacy owners? I hope so. +1, i would buy 3 more instantly.. Special price on my current ones was like 25% off, not cheap enough to buy them for each channel.
Sold all M equipment
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
To plug DSP3200s into a legacy system, you need an AC11. In 2009, it retailed for $995. I'm not sure of the current retail price, but I don't think it is $2500. And it will handle up to eight SpeakerLink speakers, should you add more SpeakerLink speakers later. Frank It may surprise you to learn that others on this site are aware of the options, and I had already posted about the �500 / $1,000 AC11 on Page 2 of this very thread However, there are many here (including funnily enough, Meridian until recently) who are dead set against the introduction of more Jitter Inducing Digital Input and Output stages than are necessary. And the AC11 (and AC12) is certainly in that "more Digital Input / Output stages than are necessary" category I repeat: If Meridian had chosen to maintain SPDIF Inputs on these Speakers, then they remain just as appealing to the New Users you speak of, but equally they would not have appeared to close themselves off to the far larger Legacy User market It's fine if you agree with Meridian's approach and disagree with about 95% of the posters on this thread alone. However, I don't think it's a very good idea to try and take on each and every one of those posters, just because they happen to disagree with what appears to be Meridian's new approach on their new DSP's, I.e. Eliminate the SPDIF Input Meridian have already taken that approach with their Processors with the net result being that many here have posted that they have stalled on any Upgrade plans to 861v6 or G61SL / G68SL When Meridian could have added SPDIF Output Boards at marginal costs to these Processors and still maintain their attraction to the Large Legacy Market, and still CHOOSE not to, is a very Dissappointing MYSTERY to many here. It's also a mystery how these "sideline the legacy market plans" are in any way good for Meridian's own Sales and Business Plans Perhaps trying to understand the long background to the reasons behind the mostly negative posts here might be more productive than trying to take on each poster, one at a time 
Last edited by Ronnie; 2010-09-26 08:46.
-
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 326
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 326 |
Can anyone think of good reasons why SPDIF is not persona non grata at Meridian? I mean it doesn't have any licensing costs any more does it? it's not gone down in audio quality. I mean the whole deal with master and slave comms cables makes it a little more complex to use than CAT5, but a number of people seem to have managed it.
has the legacy community offended M in some way?
I don't understand and like others, it makes me nervous about the path I've chosen.
Lounge: LG 55B6v, Some Denon receiver, Anthony Gallo Reference AV mains, Totem Dreamcatcher centre, SVS PC-4000, AppleTV4K Office: Audioquest Dragonfly, Cyrus 6DAC, Monitor Audio CPW Gold Headphones: NuForce HDP, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD6XX, B&O H6mk2
|
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,168
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|