|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 757 Likes: 6
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 757 Likes: 6 |
I like the new DSP3200!!! Very neat looking speaker. Bravo Meridian for developing something new and exciting!!!! I like it, but I can't really agree it's new and exciting - this shape looks the top of a D6K with some slight rounding of the edges and is basically the shape of the top of all M's current DSP speakers. The Core just confuses me - I'm afraid that this further indicates a lack of clear direction at HQ, or their confusion about what they are are, could be or want to be. A few years ago we all thought they were abandoning the high-end hi-fi for high-end custom install but now they've abandoned that. F80/AD88/M80 going for mass market but there seems to have been zero development of these products since their introduction so M don't appear serious about these markets. And now the automotive products (at last M compete with the real heavy weights of the audio industry, Bose  )... It seems to me they've decided to target B&O (when the phone and earphones are announced we'll know for sure) and maybe that makes business sense for them but it's not the M we thought we knew and loved. Chris
Lounge/Cinema, Trinnov, DSP8000XE, 4x 320.2 in-ceiling, M6 rear, 2x DSW.2 Roon Nucleus+ and 320.2 in-ceiling in many rooms (KEF in-ceiling in bathrooms) Spare: DSP5000, 598, 562v2, 500Mk2, 518, 519, 504, 101B, M3, 861v4, 800 DVD, MS600, MC200
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001 Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001 Likes: 10 |
Meridian seem to be going down a different path to everyone else. Every other manufacturer seems to be embedding each others tech so you can use their gear with each other, by that I mean look at all the brands who are adding 'Airplay' to their products. If the new control unit allowed me to stream from iTunes as well as from their own soloos player I would be interested.
Hi-Fi used to be completely interchangeable, this allowed you to add expensive pieces as and when you wanted to upgrade and funds allowed. Meridian is now pretty much a closed platform and that is a dangerous place to be in I reckon. You can't really dip your toe in the water any more with M gear, which means you shut a hell of a lot of potential customers out.
All this speakerlink only crap is just a joke too, well it wouldn't be if they charged a proper amount like �100 for converting, but at �400 x 3 for a typical 5.1 system it has stopped me looking at their processors full stop.
No Darling, I've had it months!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 116 Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 116 Likes: 1 |
Is this ac200 not a DAC/pre though?
with analogue outputs,so you could use it with a conventional amp.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 560
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 560 |
trick with the woofer to extend bass response to a "surprising" level for the size of the box. With a 6,5 driver (ca. 16cm), and it does not appear in the photos to be more long throw than many other ~6 inchers out there, I have my doubts....if ported, you may get 30Hz in room depending on room, like I get e.g. with my monitors..... The full range tweeter is most likely to jump onto the train of many new coaxial driver approaches.....good for close range listening and phantom imaging....
Cheers, Andreas My Meridian history 565/519 (1996), 861 (2000), to G68ADV, to 561 today, tri-axial cardioid studio monitors, self build acoustic measures, ceiling sails, corner bass traps, trial Helmholtz resonator, REW, Apple (TV, Mac, IPAD), SBT, Calman
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
Ah, that's because you are (presumably!) not the 30 year old Porsche driving (upgrading to Mclaren soon) marketing guy who is advising Meridian now. A BMW apparently... It seems to me they've decided to target B&O (when the phone and earphones are announced we'll know for sure) and maybe that makes business sense for them The Marketing Director is ex-B&O so perhaps that's a fair assessment, even if is is an unsophisticated and uninspirational approach. but it's not the M we thought we knew and loved. That died a couple of years ago, I'm afraid. I am really wondering if persisting with Meridian gear is worth it any more. You see, I'm not really interested in Sooloos servers, M80 style portables etc. I just want updated conventional components with improved usabilty (e.g. web based setup and firmware updating). You are not the only one Malcolm, which leads me to believe that Meridian could yet end up in trouble. Meridian's "hold" over me is purely its DSP speakers (and consquently its processors), but Meridian is doing its best to put me, one of its most ardent supporters, off its products. In fact, I am all to happy to pursue my Transporter/sox project, running a high quality music client into my system, but with all of the features that I need, not the features that Meridian tells me I need, or fails to provide.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
Is this ac200 not a DAC/pre though?
with analogue outputs,so you could use it with a conventional amp. No DAC. It will have an ADC.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165 Likes: 67
Meridian Partner Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Meridian Partner Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165 Likes: 67 |
Rick - any idea on the bass response of the 3200s? Given the "tweeter" is full range, I'd imagine that Meridian has done a DSP33/F80 trick with the woofer to extend bass response to a "surprising" level for the size of the box. No sorry, we haven't had any specification sheets for them yet, and I haven't even heard a pair. But I do expect that these will benefit from the M80 DSP tricks! (I had to go back and change an F to an M then)  Rick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
oh, don't get me wrong, I like the look, and I'm sure they sound great, but I would imagine that I would be a prime upgrade candidate for them, with my current DSP33 setup, but if it's speakerlink only, then they're putting barriers in the way of my buying a set. if it had the same connection panel as the 5200's, ie speakerlink, din comms and coax input, then I could buy them and use immediately. as it is, they want me to jump through hoops to be able to use it. this just seems foolish as I can't imagine the extra connections add but pennies to the price to make. David I don't see who the target Audience is here either and Coax into the DSP3200 would have made much more sense.............. But, just in case it's forgotten about, there is the AC11 at �500 which will allow you to swap from D33's to these...................Not that I would advocate that without a serious listen..................Just mentioning
Last edited by Ronnie; 2010-09-24 15:02.
-
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89 |
I'll ask again(!) but what M source, Sooloos aside, would one use with the AC200?
Zander
861v6, 800, HD621, DSP5500 (x7), DSP5000 (x2), Sooloos C15
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
Zander A G06 or G08 will work, as will any other Meridian Player with a Standard SPDIF out. (The original link mentions Digital, Analog and USB Inputs)
Equally, any of the other Sonos, SB or Apple Media Players should work with it (assuming the "Digital Inputs" included Coax and Optical)
-
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 409 Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 409 Likes: 1 |
Rick - any idea on the bass response of the 3200s? Given the "tweeter" is full range, I'd imagine that Meridian has done a DSP33/F80 trick with the woofer to extend bass response to a "surprising" level for the size of the box. No sorry, we haven't had any specification sheets for them yet, and I haven't even heard a pair. Which leads me to ask - how does Meridian now generate product ideas ? Doesn't seem to be much enthusiast feedback going in, and from comments here doesn't sound like existing dealers are having much of a say either.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703 Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703 Likes: 4 |
So, what is Meridian's raison d'etre? I think it is digital audio processing, MC digital theatre etc.
What do a lot of high end Meridian customers have installed? Why, a (minimum) 5.1 theatre for watching films and listening to (possibly) MC music.
The AC200 appears to be a conventional stereo preamp with Meridian specific connections. Any room correction? Any DSP modes? You won't be needing a "fixed" Trifield DSP with this baby.
Malcolm
|
|
|
|
1 members (ChrisSwain),
552
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,165
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|