logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
Please tell me it's not an M80 in classic Burberry cloth !!!


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Originally Posted by ncpl
Please tell me it's not an M80 in classic Burberry cloth !!!
Only on the inside of the case.


Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Here we go: The Range Rover "Evoque". Nice name, not.

Interior design by Posh Spice, audio by Meridian. Glad to see this fits in with Meridian's luxury image.

Vulgar.

http://www.Meridian-audio.com/news/...h-end-sound-systems-for-range-rover.aspx


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 425
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 425
Meridian doing DTS Neo6 and Audyssey ??????


G68J, HD621, ...
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
What a waste of resources!


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 866
Likes: 2
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 866
Likes: 2
Aha! That is why they do not have time to fix the Trifield width bug and deliver us the long promised apodizing firmwares ... pretty sad.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
As no doubt Jeremy Clarkson will soon be saying

"The Evoque is for Coques"

I don't mind this Car AUdio business if it gives them the Cash to continue to invest in their more Traditional Home Audio business..................I can see some of the business sense in the approach

But if it becomes THE business (with Home Audio just a sideline) then............Exit Stage Left.........


-
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 409
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 409
Likes: 1
But presumably they'd already done the basic work for / with McLaren and this is "leveraging that invested sweat" as I'm sure the new owners like to describe it.

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by Meridian
Meridian Audio specialists have also applied the sophisticated Meridian Trifield surround staging technology

I wonder if width works in this setup blush

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Worth bearing in mind that McLaren hope to sell 1,000 units per year of their new �150,000 car

Range Rover hope to sell between 12,000 to 15,000 units per year of this one, which will sell at between �30-�45k each

If even half that number go for the Meridian Audio Pack, then the numbers begin to add up..........

If one adds that the increased number of Meridian "users", who might think "let's get one for the house", then the "attraction" to Meridian's management becomes clearer

Of course, their existing users (like those on HH) should be given Priority Suport and of course you should fix all the leaking holes before setting sail on the high seas...................but I get the attraction

Last edited by Ronnie; 2010-09-22 12:55.

-
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
I thought I'd expand on my obviously impulsive and negative reaction to this.
  • First, I understand the accounting sense of leveraging the R&D done for the ICE system for the McLaren series of road cars. If you can sell more units for a marginal increase in R&D costs, there is a logical and purely financial business case there.
  • Second, if this will aid in providing job security for the long standing and hard working employees of Meridian, who am I to argue against it?
  • Third, this will undoubtedly increase exposure of the Meridian brand.
But that's the point. It's about the brand and, for me, the most important aspect of a brand is its integrity. Just because you can do something, or because something seems right on one measure (i.e. the ROI numbers of a business case), that doesn't mean to say that it's the right thing to do.

Under the encumbent management, Meridian has eschewed its historic positioning (hifi) to position Meridian as *the* luxury audio brand (and it has lost and/or alienated itself from loyal customers in the process). ICE for the McLaren range of cars fits very well within the idea of luxury branding, but, in my opinion, the Range Rover Evoque most certainly does not. I am not a career marketeer, but even I know the difference between the Evoque customer and the luxury segment: one buys on image alone; the other buys what he perceives to be the best possible product, irrespective of price.

My impression is that the Evoque fills a cheaper price point in the same "aspirational" category as the Range Rover Sport and therein lies the problem. I confess to having a personal gripe against the Sport as my next door neighbour has bought two brand new Sports in three years (which he parks in the narrowest part of our lane). For him, it's all about image and nothing else, and please believe me when I say he wouldn't recognize quality if it stared him in the face. He's vulgar and his "car" is vulgar. I don't like him.

Oddly enough, on the Topgear website, there are already two relevant comments about the Evoque with regard to the Land Rover brand:
Quote
Utterly stupid and pointless. This and the Mini Countryman go against everything the two companies stand for.
Quote
As for the car? Well, it completely dilutes the brand values on which Land Rover has been trading on for the past 62 years
For what it's worth, a Meridian employee recently told me of
Quote
another "specialist audio company who are now moving into the realms of more widely distributed products for the personal audio market [and who had given a lot of thought on how] to develop a brand into new customer segments and channels without doing any damage to the core offering and fan base. If anything, this other brand has worked even harder to keep relations with their long-standing fans and forum members on a positive footing.
Brands take years to build, but can be destroyed very easily. I think that the Meridian brand is losing integrity and that the Meridian company is losing its soul; and I find that very sad; and I blame that on the new owners, the new MD, and most importantly the new Marketing Director. I wonder what Bob really thinks now?


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
Brands take years to build, but can be destroyed very easily. I think that the Meridian brand is losing integrity and that the Meridian company is losing its soul; and I find that very sad; and I blame that on the new owners, the new MD, and most importantly the new Marketing Director. I wonder what Bob really thinks now?
Agreed all round...................

Absolute Priority should be given to existing users........

One of the Oldest Adages is "Look after your Customers and they will then Look After You"...........

The only hope I have is that it gives the business the Cash it needs to spin off this Car Audio Business into One Core Revenue Stream and let the Bob's, RHonda's, Des's etc free time and reign to focus back on the core Home Audio business

The old business model wasn't working (�xx million lost over several years). The current one is obviously not working.

So MAYBE, maybe, this is a necessary evil to get to the promised land...............A thin hope, but just about one of the few that's left IMHO

Last edited by Ronnie; 2010-09-22 13:07.

-
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (CMB Integrations - Bruce, TSCA, Mimesis), 382 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
GMT 6
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,164
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.047s Queries: 39 (0.022s) Memory: 0.8945 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 10:57:29 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS