logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Originally Posted by Zanderbarfly
Joel,

That's what I'm on about! The MPMAX 221 data sheet says:

Maximum line level input level 2.2V (rms). Input Impedance 20kΩ.

Are these the numbers I need to pay particular attention to?

How are these generally expressed in phono pre-amp terms? Never bought a phono pre-amp before...

So, for example, based on your post, I'd be looking for a phono pre-amp that outputs at 2.2V or less?

Sorry for being dumb.

Zander
rms is a good indication, but as VK say the peak to peak -means maximum negative and positive voltage -is important.

Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Robert,

Many thanks. I'm out of my depth here. I need to know what spec. numbers to look for in a new phono pre-amp to ensure compatibility and best performance with the MPMAX 221.

rms? peak to peak? volts?! All over my head I'm afraid...

Zander


861v6, 800, HD621, DSP5500 (x7), DSP5000 (x2), Sooloos C15
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
You are getting into a very diifcult and unpredicatble area here. Read any of the many articles about turntable setup, particularly in Stereophile, and you will quickly realise there is no such thing as right.

Phono amps tend to have very large headroom (in my experience) to cater for badly - or well - mastered recordings. The modulation of the groove can cause relatively massive voltage swings and may overload many a line-level input - I believe the Audio Research reference stage can deliver up to 20v on the output. The 562 allows you to set a sensitivity to maximise the use of the bit-depth and minimise the chance of clipping. I have certainly had LPs cause clipping but on rare ocassions. I think this is why many phono stages have variable outputs.

But you also want to ensure that your phono stage is compatible with the particular characteristics of your cartridge - to me this would be of equal concern.

I think this all comes back to listening and auditioning. Buy the MPMax221 because it is a given you need it and it is particularly suited for your DSPs. Then audition a few phono stages until you find something you like the sound of. Then try it with a few torture tracks to see what it does and whether it can handle extremes in a manner you can live with.


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Originally Posted by Zanderbarfly
Robert,

Many thanks. I'm out of my depth here. I need to know what spec. numbers to look for in a new phono pre-amp to ensure compatibility and best performance with the MPMAX 221.

rms? peak to peak? volts?! All over my head I'm afraid...

Zander
look here
Point 1) show you different waveforms and defenitions

http://www.ese.upenn.edu/rca/instruments/HPfuncgen/WaveFormGen/WaveFormGen.html
or here
http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/webta101/ac/acbasics.html

here is an detail of the spec that show some data
http://www.phonostagepreamp.com/eragoldvphonostagepreamp.htmSpecification

Input range: 2mV to 10mV
Output (for input range): 252mV to 1,260mV (1.26V)
Maximum input: 39mV rms
Maximum output: 4.914V rms
Gain: 42dB (126) at 1kHz
Input impedance: 47k Ohms plus 100pf
Output (driving/source) impedance: 910 Ohm
Recommended load impedance: 10k Ohm or greater
Noise at output: -65dB CCIR Q-pk
Distortion: 0.02%
RIAA accuracy: <0.5dB
Channel balance: 0.2dB
Channel separation: 64dB

Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Out of interest, does anyone know what the phono stage sitting on top of the MPMAX221 in the brochure on Dunc's Meridian info is?

Since my 562v has the wrong phono stage in it (515 from memory) I used one of the Project Phono USB stages. I wasn't worried about 24/96 as that system only has 18-bit DSPs.

dpstjp


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Robert,

as always, many thanks for your reply - most illuminating. 'Every day is a school day'.

OK - looking at the specs for that particular phono pre-amp, what am I looking for exactly to ensure that it, for example, would work (well) with an MPMAX 221?

Sorry for being dumb...

Zander


861v6, 800, HD621, DSP5500 (x7), DSP5000 (x2), Sooloos C15
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
Originally Posted by dpstjp
Out of interest, does anyone know what the phono stage sitting on top of the MPMAX221 in the brochure on Dunc's Meridian info is?

Since my 562v has the wrong phono stage in it (515 from memory) I used one of the Project Phono USB stages. I wasn't worried about 24/96 as that system only has 18-bit DSPs.

dpstjp

Hi

The 221 Datasheet you've linked to only shows two old 100 series components next to a turntable. They are the 104 tuner (top), and presumably the matching preamp of the day? Is this the page you're talking about?

Cheers

George

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Matching cartridge output, gain in the phono stage to try and hit the input specification of the 221 is not going to be very easy? A highish output moving magnet cartridge such as the Rega/Goldring ones (6.5-7.5mV) average step up of several quality phono stages I've just looked up such as Rega ProJect and Graham Slee 100-120x would give you an output from your phono-stage of about 1V on a good day. If you need 2.2V to get full bit depth from the 221 it looks like you are likely to need another gain stage somewhere?


Main system; 861v8 ID41, DSP8000SEU fronts with DSP5500 centre and DSP7000 rears (all in lovely silver) 504, HD621
Second system 861v4 ID40 LPS, G98DH, 504, HD621, 2x DSP5200 with DSP5200 centre
MD600 tucked away in study. Lots of other Meridian!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Richard,

I knew this was a good question :-)

Zander


861v6, 800, HD621, DSP5500 (x7), DSP5000 (x2), Sooloos C15
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Meridian
The 221 Datasheet you've linked to only shows two old 100 series components next to a turntable. They are the 104 tuner (top), and presumably the matching preamp of the day? Is this the page you're talking about?

Cheers

George

It is. I presumed it was a phono stage given the context it was shown in.


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Originally Posted by dpstjp
Out of interest, does anyone know what the phono stage sitting on top of the MPMAX221 in the brochure on Dunc's Meridian info is?

Since my 562v has the wrong phono stage in it (515 from memory) I used one of the Project Phono USB stages. I wasn't worried about 24/96 as that system only has 18-bit DSPs.

dpstjp
Looks like M100 series ?
http://media.Meridian-audio.com/image-lib/imagebank/products/Museum/Meridian%20M10-100series.jpg

Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
The first question I'd ask you is what cartridge are you using?

As for the 500 series;

the 562 has a 16bit ADC @ 44.1KHz
the 565 has a 16bit ADC @ 44.1KHz
the 561 has a 20bit ADC @ 44.1KHz
the 568 has a 24bit ADC @ 44.1KHz

Vinyl doesn't have a dynamic range that requires over 16bits, getting the level right (just below clipping on the ADC) is much more important.

It has been said that different recordings are at different levels, this is also true in the digital domain, hence the 518. A novel and quite elegant way of controlling the level into a ADC like the MPMAX221 would be a Meridian 101 (or 101B).

Using the 101(B) would give you an excellent phono stage and the ability to control the level into the ADC.

The 101 preamp is readily available second hand, has a nice small form factor and has a modular design so different cartridges can be accommodated.

I believe a 101 into a basic 562 would sound better than a non level controlled phono stage into the MPMAX221.

Steve.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Grole), 133 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,167
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.052s Queries: 40 (0.024s) Memory: 0.8915 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 15:49:46 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS