logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#123681 2010-08-26 13:41
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Does anyone have any experience of a UK company that does CD ripping (as a service)?

I'm looking to have ripped approx. 1500 CDs in order to prime my prospective Sooloos system.

I'm interested in knowing the expected price (per CD) and also the quality of metadata. I want completeness and 100%(!) compatibility with the Sooloos database fields/structure.

The CD collection is a complete mixed bag - approx 1/3 Classical but the rest anything and everything (all albums, no single tracks).

I'd prefer a door to door service and I'm quite happy to UK deliver/collect. I don't really want to trust to Couriers.

Zander


861v6, 800, HD621, DSP5500 (x7), DSP5000 (x2), Sooloos C15
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
No direct experience but as I understand it all Sooloos dealers and distributors offer this service. A fellow HH did some enquiring and got quite different prices from different places.

Why not ask Belgian distributor first, then maybe French and Dutch if they are close enough to you.

UK might be the cheapest (I don't know) but transporting the CDs would be a problem unless you have to go there anyway.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Nic,

I'm in the UK every other week - so it's easy to drop-off, pick-up. I'm guessing but I suspect I'd also get a wider choice of options in the UK. I've done a quick search and found that the average is �1/CD plus VAT - maybe less once if you're over a 1000 CDs.

My dealer will be making money on this if I go through him and I don't have the same opportunity to haggle. More importantly, I want to be able to be sure that I get a 100% accurate solution and experience tells me that I'd be better advised speaking directly to the person/company that's going to do it.

I want this to be a one-time, no-hassle exercise - going through a 3rd party will undoubtedly create 'communication' problems.

Zander



861v6, 800, HD621, DSP5500 (x7), DSP5000 (x2), Sooloos C15
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Hello all,

Iam asking to share a import 4 to save costs
https://www.meridianunplugged.com/u...;Main=12218&Number=119723#Post119723
on the 24th of june with no reaction at all...

What about not only sharing the import 4 but also sharing the music?

the idea is to buy one import 4 and every member of that group rip the CD and copy for the other members his music if the want it.
Is that a idea ?
We should work how it can be handled and how its the cheapast way do to it.
So everybody how is interested should ask in his country for the price and we should exchange that info via private email.

As i have about 2000 CD and not a rich person as some HH means here,
iam strongly interested to find a solution.

Iam personally not ready for money reason to buy a c15 and take my part to the import4,
but end of october I should be ready.

Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Robert.W
What about not only sharing the import 4 but also sharing the music?
That would be stealing though, wouldn't it?


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Originally Posted by MrMarbach
Originally Posted by Robert.W
What about not only sharing the import 4 but also sharing the music?
That would be stealing though, wouldn't it?

Good catch MrMarBach

Another post like that and Mr. Robert.W will be banned permanently.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014


-
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
And the antics of one royalty collecting organization in one country mean what? That ripping CDs you don't own is no longer theft?...

There's no need to go through this subject here. Performers are professionals who don't deserve to have their products stolen. I am not necessarily talking about earning royalties, it is just as much about supporting the market in areas outside mainstream pop. The more people copy CDs, the fewer are sold, and the less likely it is for the next one to be made at all.

I have nothing but disdain for people who don't understand the simple fact that this work doesn't get done by magic, without economic support from somewhere.

(I guess people like you think that electricity just happens when you flick the switch? Does someone pay your electricity bills without you knowing?)


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
???????

So I have to pay when friends visits my house and listen to my party music ?

I understand that copy music is not good for the artist,
therefore and why I dont like copy at all-
my CD collection of about over 2000 CD have maybe just 10 copied CD and even that I want to buy butr they are not available more...

But I understand the point here of copying my collection for a friend
I didnt thought on that-sorry. blush blush

but whats your ideas in a shared import4 buy-hopefully that is not forbidden..


Robert




800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
As far as I understand it, if you have Music on your Server, you should have the original CD LP Tape whatever, that you copied it from in your ownership.

This could have ramifications for the many folks who sell off their old CD's for 50P after ripping to itunes. (Not even a lossless rip, I know as I ask them. They dont know what I am talking about).

Personaly, I am happy to buy the CD's @ 50p or a �1.00 and play or Rip them myself. Much cheaper than a download.

Cheers Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Robert.W
So I have to pay when friends visits my house and listen to my party music ?
No! Don't let Ronnie scare you.

Originally Posted by Robert.W
I understand that copy music is not good for the artist,
therefore and why I dont like copy at all-
my CD collection of about over 2000 CD have maybe just 10 copied CD and even that I want to buy butr they are not available more...

But I understand the point here of copying my collection for a friend
I didnt thought on that-sorry. blush blush
Now you did though!...

Originally Posted by Robert.W
but whats your ideas in a shared import4 buy-hopefully that is not forbidden...


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Nic
Given your livelihood, you have an understandable bias on this. As a result, I'll allow you personal attack to slide on this occasion

As a long term consumer, I can see BOTH sides of the argument.

I can most certainly see the artists side in this and I'm aware that THEY deserve the money for their efforts.

I am a constant pain in the ass to my relatives and friends, using every available opportunity to discourage them from music and movie sharing via bit torrent etc

For the exact same reason, I refuse to subscribe to either Spotify or Rhapsody. Services that have been mentioned here on several occasions. See below for reasons why

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2010/03/05/the-sinister-side-of-spotify/

On th either hand, I was already a prolific LP Buyer before CD and they were usually priced in the region of �7 to �8 at the time. CD came out, but were priced at �15. The Music Companies used the "Economies of Scale" argument as CD was in it's infancy. But the prices never came down, except of course, when they want them to come down during sales etc.

I don't think I have to tell you about the multiple times that Music Companies renege on their commitments to the Artists themselves. Many times releasing albums without the Artist's permission and not paying royalties.

The Movie situation with Companies releasing the Standar Version, then the Deluxe Version, then the Director's Cut and demanding full price for all versions. And then repeating the process with Bluray releases, when there is Zero justification.

There are thousands of examples. However, the Media Companies have been Screwing the Consumer for Decades. In the past 10 years, the Consumer has started to Screw the Media Companies a little

This is not a one way street here and both sides need to recognise that

I have HUGE Respect for the Artists, but minimal respect for either the Media Companies or the "Sharers" who try to rip them off. Both sides need to work together to come up with a Pricing Model that suits both and not just the Media companies


-
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (ncpl, Mr_Sukebe), 489 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.062s Queries: 39 (0.026s) Memory: 0.8972 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 13:39:34 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS