|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
If you don't need two zones and don't want a tuner, are there any advantages getting a G68 over a G61R?
There seem to be more G68s than G61Rs here, and I was wondering if it is just because of the zones and tuner.
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579 Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579 Likes: 22 |
Hi Nic
I think it may also be beacuse the G61, and then G61R were released a couple of years after the original G68 variants, so most people here were already tooled up.
Evidently the G61R and G68 are identical in terms of processing and sound; the former can safely be regarded as a less feature rich version of the latter (that advice directly from M a few years ago)
Cheers
George
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
And the features one looses are those I already listed, plus video switching and balanced analogue output? Am I missing anything?
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036 |
....... and my G68J doesn't even have those !
.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
I concur with George about timing.
The G61 came in a few years behind the G68 variants - it had no MRC so functionally was somewhere between the 568.2MM and the G68J - the G68J was basically a stripped out G68xxx and come out slightly later than the other G68 models - no tuner, no/limited zones, limited audio configurations available. Apparently the J was for 'Japanese'/Asian market but it became quite popular with DSP owners who didn't need all the extras for the G68D. It basically was the G61R, albeit in G68 sized box.
When V2 of G68 came in, M introduced the G68r and I think the G68J was phased out at the time as otherwise I they would have been identical apart from case size. The V2 G68's introduced the USB audio input and hence this appeared in the G61r too. So a G61r will have the USB audio input along with the later G68's. For much the same reasons that you don't see many G61r's, you don't see that many G68's with USB audio input.
Personally I prefer the smaller form factor of the G61r.[typo corrected]
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 595 Likes: 1
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 595 Likes: 1 |
Nic I have just ordered a G61RSl version to replace my G68ADV. I had no need for multizone or the redundant video side and given that by 2015 the tuner won't work either it seemed to me to be an additional �1500 for nothing UNLESS there was superior performance. I was told by Rick that those differences apart, the rest of the electronics are identical. Guess which is the bargain??
Rod
818v3, QNAP HS-453DX, Roon, 7200SE, ARCAM AVR380, REL B2, Panasonic BD 80, LG OLED, SBox Transporter, iPad, F80. Shunyata Delta NR power cables.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 595 Likes: 1
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 595 Likes: 1 |
'Personally I prefer the smaller form factor of the G81r'.
wow a mini G61 perhaps?
Rod
818v3, QNAP HS-453DX, Roon, 7200SE, ARCAM AVR380, REL B2, Panasonic BD 80, LG OLED, SBox Transporter, iPad, F80. Shunyata Delta NR power cables.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
Thanks everyone. Now I understand. I am sure people who buy G68s now usually have good reason to - particularly when not running DSP speakers. Having spent my childhood listening to the clicks and pops of interference on long unbalanced line-level cables, I certainly wouldn't want to be without balanced connections.
Not that I'm going back to analogue speakers, mind.
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416 |
I may well get back into the M fold after owning the 598/568.2/G68 for several years -- would love to go for the G61 as I don't need the other stuff, but want the balanced outs as noted above, so new G68.
Last edited by rblnr; 2010-03-15 15:32.
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
117
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|