|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 959
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 959 |
I will be very interested to see what the upgrade pricing looks like, but if it is as significant as Franks conversations with M suggest, then a good many current 861 owners may get left ont he sidelines. Indeed. If the reported cost of $25,000 includes all the Reported Core Cards, and one takes even $5k off for the Case, then the maths are not pretty The Benefits as I see them (for my situation, but likely for several here) are ** Apodizing for CD Replay from the 800 Player ** Apodizing for Media Player / Server music from my Sonos (which I would very much like to have but at $20k approx???????????) ** Discrete 8-Channel Audio for the 7.1 Bluray Discs which are currently out there (which my jury is still out on as regards discrete 7.1 over Meridian's Derived 7.1) Hmmm............................. Ronnie, I could NOT agree more and, to this end, fear that my days as a Meridian owner are at an end should the cost of upgrading my 861v4 to a 861v6 be $20,000 as there is no way that I can see the cost/benefit of this...the other point that I would add would be that it now appears official that the 800 architecture is dead meaning that there will be no upgrades at all to the end...so putting all this together what I now have is: 1. $25,000 invested in an M800 that because of i) my Oppo BD-83 ii) my SONOS into my Radiance for apodizing and iii) no further upgrades is a door stop. 2. $25,000 invested in an M861 that is now too a door stop or now a $45,000 investment. So, to make a long story short, I will either have $50,000 invested in upgradeable kit that is either not upgradeable or cost prohibitive to do so or $70,000 invested with nothing other than a 861V6 to show for it....what is M thinking!!!
Audio: Triad Monitor Golds, Surround Golds, Silver Subwoofers; Procella P-18 Subwoofer; QSC DCA 16622s, 1644, 3422, BASIS 922uz; ADA MACH IV B Other: APC S-15s; Crestron Sources and Video: Ran out of characters .....................
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703 Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703 Likes: 4 |
Perhaps I am missing somthing but as I understand it, you only Apodise Once. So For HDMI you have the HD621. For CD you have the G and 800 series players. Anything else could be catered for with Apodising in the Speakers. Why would you want Apodising in the Procesors? From Meridians POV why shouldnt they keep the advantage for their Players and sources, where they manufacture them? This gives people a reason to buy a Meridian CD Spinner and or Sooloos. They have to make money after all. Perhaps I am missing somthing here. Cheers Chris  OK Chris, Where is the apodising upgrade for the G98 then?
Malcolm
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
It's in the speakers.
I think Chris has actually covered all points which may not cover apodising everywhere if you have legacy kit but does if you have recent speakers.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816 Likes: 87 |
Chris, this has been covered many times. There are several logical issues with apodizing being not in the processor.
e.g. to use apodizing in the 2 DSP's that have it means you set the processor to not upsample. By doing so it means all hi-res material gets downsampled....a waste !!
As Malcolm states...what about the G98, 598, 596, 588, etc etc etc..in fact any digital source you might want to treat consistently
The only way out is that M would make an SPDIF-HDMI gadget. I may be dreaming but I swear I heard a rumour that they did have one on the bench.
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534 |
What about the C series variants of the G series processors? The C-series is discontinued.
561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 85
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 85 |
Ronnie:
1. Coax from Control:10
2. HDMI needs a video source, so the simplest video signal I could find is a white video noise at 525i coming from one of the Crystalio's outputs.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
What I am saying is, Meridian want people to pay for Apodising as a return on their investment, with this thought, Apodising brings added value to a New Meridian Spinner and Stops people getting the Very best sound from a Cheaper source. In Business, A Point of differance hard earned has to be exploited to the full. For myself, I dont expect to be kept up to date with my personal system, old as it is. I clearly see how those with heavy Recent investment look to being supported and somwhat future proofed. Time will tell but I dearly hope they are. Cheers, Chris 
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 147
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 147 |
Where is the apodising upgrade for the G98 then? The G98 will output 2 channel on HDMI and so it can feed an HD621 and so as a CD player we have apodising. It can't output multi-channel PCM on the HDMI output so perhaps that is the apodising upgrade required. The G98 doesn't upsample.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
To confirm, you prefer the HD621's apodizing over the 808.2i's implementation? Interesting. David My apologies if what I wrote above was unclear, as I suppose I had in the back of my mind that I had made Two other postings here recently about the same thing and therefore was taking too much of a short cut in my post above SUMMARY: I preferred what I heard when Playing the Media Player thru the 808.2i rather than thru HD621 (which in turn was better than direct into a SPDIF input on my 861)If we allocate ALL the differences I heard to Apodizing, which could well be too many assumptions, then I would say that the results of Apodizing in the 808.2i outweigh the result of Apodizing thru the HD621 (Other contributing factors could easily be HDMI Audio needing to be carried in a Video Stream and this could also lead to compromises) This echos what Meridian have been saying for over a year; att the HH2 day and just yesterday to Frank at CES, e. that Apodizing in the 808.2i is Meridian's "best" implementation (or most fine-tuned version) of Apodizing. This could be down to Product Architecture; available MIPS and how much time was spent fine-tuning Apodizing in that product (obviously a lot of time spent on their Flagship $20k 808.2i and less time spent fine-tuning the $3k HD621) So ** Apodizing to 24/88 in the HD621 is better than Upsampling in the 861 (Meridian "HS=On" option) to 24/88 But ** Apodizing to 24/88 in the 808.2i results in better music replay compared to the same source via HDMI into the HD621 Hope that clarifies
Last edited by Ronnie Hurley; 2010-01-10 19:00.
-
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
<snip> (2) apodizing on analogue sources. <snip> You don't apodize analogue sources, you just use 24/96 ADC. Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24 |
I meant apodizing applied to the D2A of an A2Ded analogue source IYSWIM 
In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
Ronnie:
1. Coax from Control:10
2. HDMI needs a video source, so the simplest video signal I could find is a white video noise at 525i coming from one of the Crystalio's outputs. Thanks Mirek We are essentially doing the same thing then, except I am "marrying" a Blank Video carrier to the Digital Audio within the Video Processor and then outputting that over HDMI into the HD621, i.e. no need for an external SPDIF to HDMI adapter. Same net results though
-
|
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|