|
|
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 70
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 70 |
I have an older 861 feeding a pair of old 16 bit 5000s and a 5000C. Surrounds are analog. I was considering purchase of a used pair of 5200s and moving the 5000s to surround duty. Query: Is it possible to use old 16 bit speakers in the same setup as newer 24 bit? If so, I would keep the 5000C in the center.
TJS G68ADV, 500, DSP5200, DSP5500C, Analog surrounds.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 118
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 118 |
I am sure more knowledgeable people can verify, but I believe if you mix 16 bit and 24 bit speakers, they will all default to 16 bit.
Main system (when room is done): 861v4, 7 x DSP33, SW1600, Oppo, Sonos
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534 |
Just set HS=N. The DSP5200s will upsample. The others won't.
561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14 |
Just set HS=N. The DSP5200s will upsample. The others won't. If I'm not mistaken it won't let you select HS=Y on the presets that include the 18bit speakers. But like you said the upsampling in 5200's will take care of themselves anyway.
- Fiddler (IMHO)
If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument. HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6 Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 147
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 147 |
If you set HS=Y you will get no sound from the 18 bit speakers.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 70
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 70 |
Thanks for the answers. It seems that I should set HS=N. Now, what is HS and how and where do I set it? I find no reference to HS in the manuals for 5000 or 861. In the legacy configuration program for the 861 I see where I can set the size (and specify 24/96 or not) for each Meridian speaker, but I see no "HS". What and where is it?
TJS G68ADV, 500, DSP5200, DSP5500C, Analog surrounds.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
Hi tjs,
I went from a 565 to 861v4, and hence my knowledge of “early” 861s is sketchy.
You say you have “an early” 861, I speculating here but it could be that the very first 861s only output at standard resolution and this is why you don`t see the option in any menus or in the documentation.
It would help if you could find out what version of the firmware you have (when in standby press the display button) plus what cards are fitted and post this in you profile signature along with a list of your other kit.
Your plans to have a pair of 5200s at the front with you 5000s now bring up the rear; this will work fine even with “an early 861”. The 5200s (with latest firmware loaded) will upsample and apply the new apodising filters to the standard rate input signal.
After adding the 5200s you should consider updating your centre DSP again a 5200(h/v)c would seem the logical choice.
Some background information for you
Early Meridian DSP like MKI 5000s are 18 bit at standard sample rate 44K/48K.
861s that support 24/96 output always resolution enhance and output 24 bit in SPDIF format. The DSP speakers then use as many bits as they support with the least significant bits (LSBs) being discarded.
The High Speed (HS) flag is a DSP parameter for each DSP mode: DIRECT, Trifield, THX, etc, etc.
HS=N Output 24 bit at standard sample rate (44K1 / 48K) HS=Y Output 24 bit at high speed sample rate (88K2 / 96K)
Only the 24/96 capable DSP speakers support this higher sample rate.
Have a look on Duncan`s site (see link at the bottom of ever forum page) for both historic and current information on M kit.
Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 70
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 70 |
Thanks for a very helpful reply. I have updated my signature to include an inventory of my Meridian gear. 861v2.81 DSP5000s DSP5000C 500 Transport Surrounds are analog. I have spent some time looking through Duncan's site and I am still uncertain if the 861v2.81 supports 24bit. I THINK it does. Can anyone confirm? If it DOESN'T, does that mean I would get no benefit from 24bit vs. 18bit speakers?
TJS G68ADV, 500, DSP5200, DSP5500C, Analog surrounds.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
Even if you could not output hires from 861 you will still have access to the upsampling /apodising built into the 5200's which will benefit standard res material.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
179
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|