Originally Posted by Mr Meridian
I'm a bit puzzled by this idea. I think I understand the concept of digital signals adversely affecting analogue circuitry, but what's in the analogue circuitry which could possibly affect digital signals?
One of the things that was said repeatedly and earnestly by Bob and Richard at HH2, but not really written up on this forum, was that Meridian felt that no matter how much science and engineering they put into their products, there were still things that they didn't understand; and that's why, at the end of the day, they trust their ears over everything else.

The one magic piece of information I gleaned from this (or interpolated from what was said) is that jitter control *within* an audio processor component is critical*. How do you mitigate all those little reflections going on inside the PCBs which degrade the square waveform? So, potentially, removing *any* source of interference (e.g. the analogue board in the Oppo) could be a good thing. TBH though, I suspect that with the HD621, G68 and DSP33 de-jittering downstream, it's going to make bugger all difference.


* This has to be, incidentally, the reason why Bob refused to put HDMI chips into the audio processors, and Meridian believes that the 861 sounds better than the G68 in all-digital systems.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.