logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by Ronnie Hurley
Originally Posted by howiebrou
My 8ks are pre speakerlink so the 808i.2 goes via the 861 although I have to be honest, it sounds BETTER through the 861 than direct. Lord know why??!!
Nice setup Howie, Congrats

Out of curiosity regarding the above statement, do you mean that e.g. Trifield sounds better or do you mean Direct Preset from 808/861 combo sounds better than Direct from the 808 alone??

Also, have you tried Toe-ing in the rear 3100's??

I mean even in direct it sounds better....

No I have not toed in the rears. I just used the MRC for the first time recently so there is still a lot of tweaking to be done even with the front speakers. And the room has a slap echo to be proud of so there will need to be some acoustic treatment in the future, possibly bass traps in the front corners as a bare minimum.


Avid Acutus, SME V, Benz Micro LP / Van den Hul Colibri XGP, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
Meridian Sooloos C15 + MD600
CH Precision C1 DAC
Constellation Audio Virgo and Centaur Monoblocks
Sonus Faber Aida
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
So might it be the MRC that is helping make the 861 route better ?

If so, that's not a big surprise as it what's MRC is designed to do.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by ncpl
So might it be the MRC that is helping make the 861 route better ?

If so, that's not a big surprise as it what's MRC is designed to do.

No. It sounded better before I used MRC and whilst in 2 channel only. Go figure!

howie


Avid Acutus, SME V, Benz Micro LP / Van den Hul Colibri XGP, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
Meridian Sooloos C15 + MD600
CH Precision C1 DAC
Constellation Audio Virgo and Centaur Monoblocks
Sonus Faber Aida
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Ok...that's a bit odd but could be the buffering doing some good. With my older processors I always found going around the processor and straight into the DSP's sounded cleaner. However with the G68 that difference narrowed a lot.

As they say...whatever works


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Me like the Nagra tube phono stage. Seriously, that is unbelievable kit!


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by 1337
Me like the Nagra tube phono stage. Seriously, that is unbelievable kit!

Thank you. The Nagra phono amps are great as our their other products. Before I changed to Meridian I used a Nagra PLL pre amp as well.

howie


Avid Acutus, SME V, Benz Micro LP / Van den Hul Colibri XGP, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
Meridian Sooloos C15 + MD600
CH Precision C1 DAC
Constellation Audio Virgo and Centaur Monoblocks
Sonus Faber Aida
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Your welcome! Out of curiosity, what speaker and what amp were you using with the nagra preamp?


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by 1337
Your welcome! Out of curiosity, what speaker and what amp were you using with the nagra preamp?

Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento and Mcintosh Mc2000 valve power amp. My CD changed a few times but the following passed through the system at one time or another; Mcintosh MCD201, Audio Aero Prestige, Metronome Technologie CD4 and Accuphase DP700.


Avid Acutus, SME V, Benz Micro LP / Van den Hul Colibri XGP, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
Meridian Sooloos C15 + MD600
CH Precision C1 DAC
Constellation Audio Virgo and Centaur Monoblocks
Sonus Faber Aida
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
That must be a real change with the dsp8000! Impressive impressive gear you used.


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Howie - amazing set up you have! Guessing you have the only key to the door to that room. Curious about your Avid/Nagra integration with the 861/DSP's as I am looking at options to add vinyl to my system too. Is the Meridian A-D conversion working well with a heavy duty analog system like that? Also, have you been able to compare playback of any recordings through both the CD through the 808.2 and vinyl through the Avid? Seriously, that has to be the most beautiful equipment rack I've ever seen.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by John_H
Howie - amazing set up you have! Guessing you have the only key to the door to that room. Curious about your Avid/Nagra integration with the 861/DSP's as I am looking at options to add vinyl to my system too. Is the Meridian A-D conversion working well with a heavy duty analog system like that? Also, have you been able to compare playback of any recordings through both the CD through the 808.2 and vinyl through the Avid? Seriously, that has to be the most beautiful equipment rack I've ever seen.

Thnak you so much John! A lot of work and thought went into this set-up to being it up to scratch.

I have often thought whether I should ditch the analogue end seeing as it might seem strange to integrate it into an all digital set up. But each time I play an LP I decide not to do so. Honestly, I have not really analysed how good the A/D converter is nor do I really think it is possible to do so because there is no equivalent M set up in analogue to compare it to. There are just too many variables involved.

At the end of the day, I take a more relaxed view. It sounds significantly different from playing cds. It sounds more analogue if that means anything, the analogue traits you hear on an analogue system are carried over into this digital one. For me that is enough reason not to throw it away. I guess I could go and find a DCS A/D converter and compare them but the M one is good enough for me for now. Would I add an Avid and Nagra to an exisiting M system. That might be more difficult to answer!

Which type of cartridge suits the M A/D converter. Ha that is another ball game entirely!

howie


Avid Acutus, SME V, Benz Micro LP / Van den Hul Colibri XGP, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
Meridian Sooloos C15 + MD600
CH Precision C1 DAC
Constellation Audio Virgo and Centaur Monoblocks
Sonus Faber Aida
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Thanks Howie, that makes complete sense. Plus, the Avid/Nagra combo looks so at peace in the rack with the 861/808!

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Vorticity), 392 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.101s Queries: 39 (0.046s) Memory: 0.8874 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 17:43:47 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS